Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

opiej

Archie Miller's staff at Indiana will be Bruiser Flint, Tom Ostrom (Dayton) and Ed Schilling (UCLA),

Hoosier Sport Report:

Indiana officially announced Thursday the hiring of Director of Athletic Performance Clif Marshall.

Marshall comes to IU after 10 years as the performance director at Ignition Athletics Performance Group, where he oversaw strength and speed programs for the Cincinnati-based company. He replaces former strength and conditioning coach Lyonel Anderson on IU’s staff.

“I think Clif is a difference maker,” IU coach Archie Miller said in a statement. “He brings a wealth of experience and has worked with some of the top athletes in their respective professions. His ability to motivate and get the best out of those he trains will be a great asset. This position is as critical as any you have on our staff and we are excited to welcome him, Stacey, Mary Grace and Harrison to the Hoosier family.”

Marshall has trained more than 10,000 athletes during his career, including players in the National Basketball Association, Major League Baseball, Major League Soccer and National Football League.

Cincinnati Bengals receiver AJ Green, defensive tackle Geno Atkins and Carolina Panthers linebacker Luke Kuechly are among Marshall’s most notable clients. Together, Ignition and Marshall have at least one player that they have trained on all 32 NFL teams

Prior to joining Ignition’s staff, Marshall served as a strength and conditioning assistant for the Bengals, and has worked as a consultant to Bengals head strength coach Chip Morton since 2005.

“I’ve known Clif Marshall since my rookie year in the NFL,” A.J. Green said in a statement. “I’ve used him as my personal trainer because he believes in training the total athlete. His performance program focuses on improving fast twitch muscle, which is exactly what I need to continue to play at a Pro Bowl level each year with the Bengals. I have appreciated his wisdom as it has made me more of a complete athlete.”

In the past, Marshall has also served as a consultant to the men’s basketball programs at Dayton and Xavier. He worked with Miller in the summer of 2015 to develop and implement a strenght and conditioning program for a Dayton team that went on to win the Atlantic 10 title.

16 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

Archie delivered with that best staff in college basketball promise.

I was a little worried at first, but these hires have been top notch. I don't see the Brusier Flint hire as anything great, would've loved a Dane Fife or someone along the lines of that. Though Ed and Ostrom will own the recruiting trail. I guess Ed can coach as well so that's a plus. 

2 hours ago, Treesh said:

I was a little worried at first, but these hires have been top notch. I don't see the Brusier Flint hire as anything great, would've loved a Dane Fife or someone along the lines of that. Though Ed and Ostrom will own the recruiting trail. I guess Ed can coach as well so that's a plus. 

Ed has been praised for player development too.

16 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Isn't training for basketball and football very different? This guy is a football guy... very confused why so many are stoked about this

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He has worked with players in the NBA, MLB, MLS, and the NFL. His most notable clients are just from the NFL. His program isnt sport specific he works to make you the best possible athlete. Here are some quotes from AJ Green and Luke Kuechly.

AJ Green
6x NFL Pro Bowler | Top 10 Draft Pick
“I’ve known Clif Marshall since my rookie year in the NFL. I’ve used him as my personal trainer because he believes in training the Total Athlete. His performance program focuses on improving fast twitch muscle which is exactly what I need to continue to play at a Pro Bowl level each year with the Bengals. I have appreciated his wisdom as it has made me more of a complete athlete.”

Luke Kuechly
NFL Defensive MVP | Top 10 Draft Pick
“I’ve spent each of my NFL Off Season training with Clif Marshall. I like his holistic approach that allows me to train speed, power and stamina all in the same session. His workouts are always specific to my position.”

From everything I've read on him each workout he does with an individual athlete, he creates it specific to what that athlete needs.

16 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Isn't training for basketball and football very different? This guy is a football guy... very confused why so many are stoked about this

Marshall certainly has his share of credentials and an ample portfolio of clients, so he definitely looks like he knows what he's doing.  However, I tend to think that the S&C coach's impact is pretty overrated.  I bet teams like UNC, Duke, etc. don't even know who their strength and conditioning coordinator is.  Football is a different story because it's more physical and there are more injuries.

Just be in shape, lift weights, and eat well.  

He has worked with players in the NBA, MLB, MLS, and the NFL. His most notable clients are just from the NFL. His program isnt sport specific he works to make you the best possible athlete. Here are some quotes from AJ Green and Luke Kuechly.

AJ Green
6x NFL Pro Bowler | Top 10 Draft Pick
“I’ve known Clif Marshall since my rookie year in the NFL. I’ve used him as my personal trainer because he believes in training the Total Athlete. His performance program focuses on improving fast twitch muscle which is exactly what I need to continue to play at a Pro Bowl level each year with the Bengals. I have appreciated his wisdom as it has made me more of a complete athlete.”

Luke Kuechly
NFL Defensive MVP | Top 10 Draft Pick
“I’ve spent each of my NFL Off Season training with Clif Marshall. I like his holistic approach that allows me to train speed, power and stamina all in the same session. His workouts are always specific to my position.”

From everything I've read on him each workout he does with an individual athlete, he creates it specific to what that athlete needs.

Seems he has specialized on football. Would prefer to see quotes from russel Westbrook and Lebron james than football guys. My question about training differences was a rhetorical question because they are very different, just like playing and coaching different sports.

Who is amongst that list of NBA guys he has been training lately?

9 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Seems he has specialized on football. Would prefer to see quotes from russel Westbrook and Lebron james than football guys. My question about training differences was a rhetorical question because they are very different, just like playing and coaching different sports.

Who is amongst that list of NBA guys he has been training lately?

He also worked with the Xavier and Dayton basketball teams, and helped UK's strength and conditioning coach prepare workouts for the NBA combine. it seems like he specialized in athletic training as a whole not just football

He also worked with the Xavier and Dayton basketball teams, and helped UK's strength and conditioning coach prepare workouts for the NBA combine. it seems like he specialized in athletic training as a whole not just football

This. No coach would turn down working with NFL players in order to specialize. Most good S&C coaches are equipped with the knowledge to train athletes across several sports. One could seek out a certain specialty (with an open mind) or just fall into one due to a great job opportunity, but his resume looks balanced. Really excited about this hire.

55 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Think what you will but his entire bio on their website is all about football. He might have dabbled in basketball from time to time but he is a football guy through and through.

http://www.ignitionapg.com/index.php/about-ignition/our-staff-2/clif-marshall/

You act like Football players and basketball players have different muscle groups and such. Training is about understanding how the human body works and responds to training. 

You act like Football players and basketball players have different muscle groups and such. Training is about understanding how the human body works and responds to training. 

I don't act like that. I act like there is a difference between training to play basketball and training to play football. The way one trains for each is very different.

Just now, MikeRoberts said:

I don't act like that. I act like there is a difference between training to play basketball and training to play football. The way one trains for each is very different.

Yeah but trainers understand how the human body works and as long as they know the needs of the athlete they can adjust quite easily. 

Not sure what's hard to understand about that

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yeah but trainers understand how the human body works and as long as they know the needs of the athlete they can adjust quite easily. 

100% agree. 

I don't think Mike is saying that this guy doesn't know how to train basketball players. He doesn't get why everyone is so excited about a guy who has great football recommendations, but no evident recommendations from basketball players.

This guy is probably great at his job, but we will have to see. Like Mike said, it'd be nice to see reviews from prominent basketball players instead of AJ Green.

Speed, quickness, agility, strength. You need that for both sports. Sure it's not exactly the same, but still. We're not asking Marshall to coach them basketball, he's here to make them bigger, faster and stronger. The guy is obviously good enough and smart enough to train top NFL players, so I'm not worried about him being able to tailor his training approach to suit basketball players. He has some prior experience with Xavier and Dayton too so that's nice. I'm excited to see what he can do with De'ron this summer.