Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

P92

Never can figure Knight out

24 minutes ago, jmsgws said:

I guess I would vote for common decency.  Being honest about a situation is one thing, but being an A$$hat is something different, to me.  I respect people telling the truth, however, that respect is gone when they tell the truth, but treat people like dirt at the same time. 

Well it's one thing for someone to speak their mind or the truth but it's another when they can't handle the truth about themselves.  

I'll take honesty over fake any day. People that are fake like someone who wouldn't say it in front of someone but will say it in private will never get any respect from me. That's a cowardly person. But there's nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

There is another option besides manipulative and two-faced or just a plain old (but honest)...jerk!

If Coach Knight is choosing the "plain old jerk" option, that is not a compliment.

Anyone go to the Knight & Keady thing in Carmel tonight? Or is it tomorrow night? 

Not showing up in the app even though I posted it in the app?

Anyone go to the Knight and Keady thing in Carmel tonight? Or is it tomorrow night?

Not showing up in the app even though I posted it in the app?

Anyone go to the Knight and Keady thing in Carmel tonight? Or is it tomorrow night?

Can't use and signs in the app.

That is kind of what I figured and why I changed it but that is crazy something that silly was the issue.

Yeah it's weird. I figured that out randomly a few months ago. Should be fixed on the new iOS app hopefully coming this week.

20 hours ago, P92 said:

According to the Star, Knight was emotionally overcome last night in Bloomington while reading an essay defining an Indiana Baketball Player, and again was wiping tears away while speaking on stage to former IU president Ryan's widow...especially after she said, "we all miss you."  The Star said he praised IU fans as the very best, and also spoke highly of CAM.  Every time I write Knight off as a total jerk, there's something like this or some behind the scenes charity he has done that comes to light, and then, every time I think he's an alright guy he goes dressing in gold and speaking to PU fans and wishes IU administrators were dead.  A strange guy, lots of contradictions. FWIW, he was in a red sweater last night.

It's pretty simple. Knights an azzhole.  Great coach ,bad person, period.  People point to his charity work or the fact he does things for past players but that doesn't mitigate the inappropriate, mean-spirited behaviors. Even bad people have friends, have emotions, or do decent things, if not you are Hitler or Kim Jong Un. Plenty of people are charitable without acting out as he does. 

I was there as a freshman in '87 and for a long time really backed him, but if you step back and take off your IU sweater, would you ever think he is a good guy, or would you send your son to be coached by him?  There are plenty of great coaches that are tough and help grow kids to men without the abusiveness of RMK.  And his going out of his way to be mean or petty, even to the point of hurting his ex-players just makes him seem a smaller and smaller man.

10 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

It's pretty simple. Knights an azzhole.  Great coach ,bad person, period.  People point to his charity work or the fact he does things for past players but that doesn't mitigate the inappropriate, mean-spirited behaviors. Even bad people have friends, have emotions, or do decent things, if not you are Hitler or Kim Jong Un. Plenty of people are charitable without acting out as he does. 

I was there as a freshman in '87 and for a long time really backed him, but if you step back and take off your IU sweater, would you ever think he is a good guy, or would you send your son to be coached by him?  There are plenty of great coaches that are tough and help grow kids to men without the abusiveness of RMK.  And his going out of his way to be mean or petty, even to the point of hurting his ex-players just makes him seem a smaller and smaller man.

I'm not sure how he's hurting his former players or being mean and petty. The university told him to get out after he made their basketball program what it is today, so that's exactly what he did. Sure it would be nice if he would come back to AH but he doesn't owe it to anyone to do so. Like Dalton said, Knight says the things that everyone else think but keep to themselves. Is he really that terrible for not being afraid to say them? 

If I was the best in my field and I was responsible for the best years in my company's history and they fired me after almost 30 years then heck yeah I'd hold a grudge and want nothing good to happen to the people who fired me. Knight's feelings aren't that uncommon imo but most people would never let you know that they feel that way. 

13 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I'm not sure how he's hurting his former players or being mean and petty. The university told him to get out after he made their basketball program what it is today, so that's exactly what he did. Sure it would be nice if he would come back to AH but he doesn't owe it to anyone to do so. Like Dalton said, Knight says the things that everyone else think but keep to themselves. Is he really that terrible for not being afraid to say them? 

Several players have begged him to come back, be at reunions, etc. Who does he think he is affecting  by not showing up?  Everyone involved in his dismissal is gone or as he prefers, dead.

Unless you wish people dead, think rape should be enjoyed, he is not just saying things people think.  He is not just normal unfiltered honesty, he is abnormal, vindictive, petty and never wrong unfiltered honesty.

Again, all it is done is make me respect him infinitely less and in my honest, I think the pain he is experiencing from his self induced absence is well deserved.

C'est la vie

Edited by iu eyedoc

10 minutes ago, SteelerHoosier said:

I wanna know who had the balls to record this lol. 

This was during my time at IU. You can put the pieces together and figure it was during the 1990-91 season, when Cheney, Reynolds and the Grahams were sophomores and Bailey was a freshman. Because the year before, they were 8-10 in the B1G. This must've been right before their "Big Monday" game in West Lafayette, because he references being sick of losing to Purdue and not wanting to go get his @$$ kicked Monday night. They didn't. 

10 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Several players have begged him to come back, be at reunions, etc. Who does he think he is affecting  by not showing up?  Everyone involved in his dismissal is gone or as he prefers, dead.

Unless you wish people dead, think rape should be enjoyed, he is not just saying things people think.  He is not just normal unfiltered honesty, he is abnormal, vindictive, petty and never wrong unfiltered honesty.

Again, all it is done is make me respect him infinitely less and in my honest, I think the pain he is experiencing from his self induced absence is well deserved.

C'est la vie

Knight doesn't think rape should be enjoyed. He misspoke and clarified what he meant. Have you never misspoke about anything? Players want him to come back, but I think they understand why he doesn't want to. 

Knight doesn't think rape should be enjoyed. He misspoke and clarified what he meant. Have you never misspoke about anything? Players want him to come back, but I think they understand why he doesn't want to. 

Did he misspeak when he defecated in the middle of the locker room or when he choked Reed?

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Did he misspeak when he defecated in the middle of the locker room or when he choked Reed?

Nahh. He's no angel and has done innappropriate things but that particular one was mischaracterized.  

41 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

28 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Nahh. He's no angel and has done innappropriate things but that particular one was mischaracterized.  

Mischaracterized? It was a direct quote.  He may have not have meant it but he said it.  Same may be said about the wishing of IU admin being dead.  I doubt he truly hopes one gets run over by a bus today, but he has always decried his disdain for the media but always went out of his way to be the center of attention ( the funny face clip, the bull whip, the rape  statement, the burry me upsidedown clip, the chair toss).  I always found it interesting that he immediately became part of the media once he quit coaching.

He did great things for IU basketball, but he could very easily have been so much greater if he had an ounce of self control.

Edited by iu eyedoc

Knight did a lot of great things for charity and the library and was great to us students. When I was at IU he had a "Night with Knight" event each year where he would take questions about the team or upcoming season from students and answer them. Of course, if he thought they were stupid questions he would tell you to sit down and shut up. It was classic Knight and so much fun. He did a lot of good things behind the scenes and ran a tight ship--strong discipline and no cheating. I am going to say something that may not be popular in today's politically correct world. Personally --I think Knight has a right to be bitter but he should have taken it out on the university and not on his former players and us fans who loyally supported him through the years. I say that because although I did not always agree with what he said or what he did--I don't think he got fired over the Neil Reed incident. I think he got fired because he wasn't winning as much as he once had. Knight didn't change the way he had always coached and IU was fine with it as long as we were in the top 10, winning conference titles, and competing for national titles. He was their golden boy bringing millions to the university. When that stopped happening in his latter years, conduct they once turned a blind eye to became a fireable offense. Those of us close to the players or program in those days know Reed and his family were trouble. Let me just say this--Reed's dad was a high school coach and Knight was gentle compared to him. I don't say all this to make excuses--but the university changed the rules on Knight mid-game and demanded he change the way he coached but still wanted him to win at a high rate. I am not saying the university was wrong in wanting Knight to change his methods and coaching style--I am just saying they were fine with it when we were winning big. That's the hypocrisy Knight can't get over. So--yes--many of us who lived through the firing and would have run through a brick wall for Coach think he got shafted in some ways. The world changed and Knight would not and maybe even could not. But let me say this--Knight was not all bad. He had pride in the program and instilled it in us students and I want Archie to bring back that same sense of pride to IU once again!