Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

akinnaird24

Last names on jerseys?

20 hours ago, recker222000 said:

Yep and i highly doubt iu fans would quite watching if the uniforms changed. That would be pretty lame

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

After watching the last decade, uniforms sure won't keep me from watching. Indiana's history dates back to Naismith, and that's why tradition is important at IU. Basketball wasn't invented in here but everything else about it was. Cutting of the nets was a Hoosier via tobacco road.

Yep and i highly doubt iu fans would quite watching if the uniforms changed. That would be pretty lame

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

If someone stopped watching over jerseys then good riddance. Sadly I'm sure there is someone out there who has probably said they'd stop watching if we changed our jerseys.

After watching the last decade, uniforms sure won't keep me from watching. Indiana's history dates back to Naismith, and that's why tradition is important at IU. Basketball wasn't invented in here but everything else about it was. Cutting of the nets was a Hoosier via tobacco road.

Agreed. We watched 9 years of Coach Crean, I think everyone could handle a different jersey. I agree with what you're saying tradition is very important, but then again I'm at the point where I don't care if our jerseys are pink with purple polka dots I just want to get back to winning.

If you start candy striping everything that will take some of the prestige from the warm up pants imo.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I personally disagree. If that's actually the case then the football team needs to get the stripes off the helmets. As long as the actual candy striped pants don't change, then you aren't cheapening their prestige one bit.

1 hour ago, HoosierTrav said:

I personally disagree. If that's actually the case then the football team needs to get the stripes off the helmets. As long as the actual candy striped pants don't change, then you aren't cheapening their prestige one bit.

I'm not sure on the prestige front, but IMO it's kind of a thing where you don't want to over do it.  Kind of a less is more sort of thing, kind of.

That's speaking as someone that isn't a huge fan of striped helmet.  Although the striped sleeves on the jersey was a nice touch.  I think it'd start looking bad if we went overboard with the candy stripes.

This is somewhat off this topic, but it is regarding uniforms, so here goes: I understand the original reasoning for uniform numbers ending with a 5 or lower and not going above 55 -- to make it easier for the ref to call fouls. But in this day and age, isn't that thinking a bit archaic? Why not let a kid wear No. 7 or No. 18 or No. 26 or  or whatever? I hardly think refs would find this switch all that troublesome. They've been doing it in international ball and in the NBA for years. 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

This is somewhat off this topic, but it is regarding uniforms, so here goes: I understand the original reasoning for uniform numbers ending 5 or lower and not going above 55 -- to make it easier for the ref to call fouls. But in this day and age, isn't that thinking a bit archaic? Why not let a kid wear No. 7 or No. 18 or No. 26 or  or whatever? I hardly think refs would find this switch all that troublesome. They've been doing it in international ball and in the NBA for years. 

It's a relic that should be maintained. I don't even like someone wearing 0. 

That script "Indiana" look is super cool. I prefer to keep the names off the back and keep a more traditional look in general, but have no problem with alternate jerseys. For instance, we've sucked so badly in the B1G conference tourney, it can't hurt to change it up, right?

As some others have said there are plenty of examples of iconic looks that stand the test of time. Tweaks are fine, but wholesale changes or going super trendy are unnecessary. Please, nothing like Baylor (neon), Oregon (seizure inducing) or Maryland Football (looks like a 60's acid trip).....I wouldn't stop watching, but it would really suck.   

I couldn't care less what numbers the players wear. I don't see any reason to restrict it, unless it's an NCAA-wide thing. 

Agree with Hardwood83 overall, Indiana doesn't need anything crazy in terms of jerseys, but I would love to see alternates that use the Indiana script, which I think will happen at some point as that seems to be the new 'sign off' on all the videos. Not sure if that's a directive from Archie, but it seems like it happened after he got to IU. 

I couldn't care less what numbers the players wear. I don't see any reason to restrict it, unless it's an NCAA-wide thing. 
Agree with Hardwood83 overall, Indiana doesn't need anything crazy in terms of jerseys, but I would love to see alternates that use the Indiana script, which I think will happen at some point as that seems to be the new 'sign off' on all the videos. Not sure if that's a directive from Archie, but it seems like it happened after he got to IU. 

Good to see you here

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

When you inherit a program, you inherit traditions that go with it.   Indiana Basketball does not put names on jerseys.   Saying we need to "get with the times?"  You mean like Penn State or Notre Dame football?   There are some changes you just don't make.   Putting names on jerseys would defeat a large part of the IU Basketball brand, and I would not be in favor of it.