Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2018) SF - Jerome Hunter to IU

His introduction at Hoosier Hysteria will be insane.  Excited to see how he looks.

Agreed. If he wasn’t the best player at last years HH he was no worse than second best. It’s weird cause I am not sure how much of a mental hurdle he will have in a game to get over the injury. He has been putting in work since last season. Game experience will be everything.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Agreed. If he wasn’t the best player at last years HH he was no worse than second best. It’s weird cause I am not sure how much of a mental hurdle he will have in a game to get over the injury. He has been putting in work since last season. Game experience will be everything.

I wouldn’t think this would be much of an issue. He didn’t really have an “injury” per say. Therefor I would think he should be good to go mentally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t think this would be much of an issue. He didn’t really have an “injury” per say. Therefor I would think he should be good to go mentally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like your outlook but I think there's probably more layers to it. After a major health issue people tend to approach things with a bit more caution whether they're aware of it or not. Hopefully he's had time to deal with it appropriately, and maybe that's what you're alluding to. High major, full speed basketball adds another wrinkle to that so hopefully he gets good run early on. To that, he hasn't played a single college game competitively. He's going to have some learning to do from game flow to game environment and everything in between. But I'm confident he will contribute, just tempering the expectation for the first half.

16 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

If he went from perfectly healthy, competing with Romeo, to not playing for a year because of health reasons there is also a mental side to it.

This is great news but the best news will be when he’s competed in a few games and doesn’t have any health issues.

I'd agree except it wasn't basketball related and he'll have gone "live" for a while against his team mates.  His major hurdle will likely be nerves and the college game atmosphere, sort of like most freshmen.   I can't imagine how badly he wants to be back on the floor, but having had 2 sons tear ACL's and get back after it just fine, I'm not sure the mental hurdle is something that will hinder him much.

Count me as one who believes Indiana just became a much better and more formidable team yesterday.

I'd agree except it wasn't basketball related and he'll have gone "live" for a while against his team mates.  His major hurdle will likely be nerves and the college game atmosphere, sort of like most freshmen.   I can't imagine how badly he wants to be back on the floor, but having had 2 sons tear ACL's and get back after it just fine, I'm not sure the mental hurdle is something that will hinder him much.
Count me as one who believes Indiana just became a much better and more formidable team yesterday.

He could step on the floor this fall and have zero issues. I’m stating that coming back from any physical limitation has a mental side to it. Not every player/person is the same. (Glad your sons recovered without any mental troubles).

I completely agree Indiana is better with Hunter. Just like with any freshman, I’ll limit my expectations until he has some time to adjust to college ball.

My Sophomore year I had cat scratch fever and they ended up finding out that I had at one point broken my L5 vertebrate. It was healed when they found it. I missed the last 10 games of the season. When I returned I was very cautious about taking hits even though the break had healed. Even still I worry about falling on my back or anything while playing. There can be a big mental hurdle for some. I partially tore my ACL my Junior year and it took a few months to get back to jumping and landing confidently. Even broke the growth plate in one wrist before my sophomore season started but had no issues or mental hurdles returning from that even though I used my left a lot. But Hunters rumored issue is much different than an ACL year or even breaking your back or wrist. That’s something that could pop up at any given time and do serious damage.

My Sophomore year I had cat scratch fever and they ended up finding out that I had at one point broken my L5 vertebrate. It was healed when they found it. I missed the last 10 games of the season. When I returned I was very cautious about taking hits even though the break had healed. Even still I worry about falling on my back or anything while playing. There can be a big mental hurdle for some. I partially tore my ACL my Junior year and it took a few months to get back to jumping and landing confidently. Even broke the growth plate in one wrist before my sophomore season started but had no issues or mental hurdles returning from that even though I used my left a lot. But Hunters rumored issue is much different than an ACL year or even breaking your back or wrist. That’s something that could pop up at any given time and do serious damage.

Was your nickname “Lucky”?

17 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Can't wait to see a healthy, stronger, more mature Jerome ! I believe he'll be a difference maker. 

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I've been more of a Hunter fan than some, really like his upside and potential in Woodson's anticipated get-up-and-down / spread-the-floor 4-out offense. He will have the "green light" he's needed to regain his confidence, which CAM and his plodding, limit the 3-ball offense seemed to undermine. 

He is the type of player who should really benefit from Woodson's system. He's better than a 34% shooter, and would bank on him shooting in the area of 38% or better in Woodson's offense. Pulling for the kid, really like what he can bring.

2 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I've been more of a Hunter fan than some, really like his upside and potential in Woodson's anticipated get-up-and-down / spread-the-floor 4-out offense. He will have the "green light" he's needed to regain his confidence, which CAM and his plodding, limit the 3-ball offense seemed to undermine. 

He is the type of player who should really benefit from Woodson's system. He's better than a 34% shooter, and would bank on him shooting in the area of 38% or better in Woodson's offense. Pulling for the kid, really like what he can bring.

I really like him too. He seems to have so many of the tools to really succeed. And I just like the kid. 

I’ll say, he’s going to have to push the effort up a notch. Explode out of his cuts and get to his spots for this system to work. Of course that goes for everyone, and our roster looks to be much deeper and improved. A little more effort and activity on defense. He looks the part of an NBA player with his loping style, but his skills haven’t caught up to that. When you compare to a Geronimo, who isn’t always in the right spot but easily makes up for it with high activity and go-go gadget arms, Hunter will have to step it up. 

Something I think has been underutilized is his post-up game. In HS he had a nice little bag of tricks, and I’d love to see some match-up hunting to use that. Even in the 3 guard line-ups, we won’t be undersized, and I could see him being guarded by opposing 3s that can’t match up.