Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2018) SF - Jerome Hunter to IU

32 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Interesting. I'm hesitant to even ask this b/c I don't want it to run wild with unnecessary speculation, but are you saying there is a chance that his departure from the team doesn't necessarily mean he'll be departing IU? But simply no longer playing basketball? 

It sounds like he was kicked off the team. If he wants to play college ball he can still enter the portal and transfer. If he stays at IU, his schooling will continue to be paid for per IU's BOR. So the choice is up to him at this point what he wants to do. I expect he'll transfer and play next season.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Geronimo was actively recruited to stay, and for some excellent reasons. He should be a major part of the team going forward.

It’s possible to read the Woodson interview with R. Bozich/Kravitz/Doyel to mean Woody even finds JG to be one of his five best guys from the returners

Jerome may be a summer session or two away from getting a degree in which case he can stay at IU for the summer, get his degree and move on as a graduate transfer without worrying about the Transfer Portal deadline.

Not a big loss. Hunter was a ‘shooter’ who didn’t actually shoot all that well. Career 39.7/32.4/64.4 shooter. He also didn’t play any defense. He’d need to become a 40+ percent three point shooter next year to make up for that.  We’ll be able to improve in the portal. 

On 5/13/2021 at 2:34 PM, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Not a big loss. Hunter was a ‘shooter’ who didn’t actually shoot all that well. Career 39.7/32.4/64.4 shooter. He also didn’t play any defense. He’d need to become a 40+ percent three point shooter next year to make up for that.  We’ll be able to improve in the portal. 

On 5/13/2021 at 2:34 PM, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The shooting numbers are a little deceiving due to the start he had coming off his leg issues in his redshirt freshman year.  And if his shooting of roughly 40/32 is a bring down, then what are we supposed to do with Lander/Phinisee/Leal/Galloway?  And the fg/ 3 pt numbers are basically Koop last year.

16 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

The shooting numbers are a little deceiving due to the start he had coming off his leg issues in his redshirt freshman year.  And if his shooting of roughly 40/32 is a bring down, then what are we supposed to do with Lander/Phinisee/Leal/Galloway?  And the fg/ 3 pt numbers are basically Koop last year.

Well I don’t really like Phinisee, Leal, or Galloway either but they’re not going anywhere right now. I want to see what Lander can do in an offense that plays to his strengths after a full offseason with a competent staff. I don’t think the scouts missed that bad on a guy who was the top point guard in the 2021 class before he reclassified. 

Even if we just look at Hunter last year he shot 34% from 3 and 52% from the free throw line. Miller Kopp shot 85% from the line last year and 90% as a sophomore. He also shot 40% from 3 on more than 5 attempts per game as a sophomore. I have more faith in Kopp replicating something he’s done in the past than I do Hunter doing something he’s never done before.