Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2018) SF - Jerome Hunter to IU

11 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

I really like him too. He seems to have so many of the tools to really succeed. And I just like the kid. 

I’ll say, he’s going to have to push the effort up a notch. Explode out of his cuts and get to his spots for this system to work. Of course that goes for everyone, and our roster looks to be much deeper and improved. A little more effort and activity on defense. He looks the part of an NBA player with his loping style, but his skills haven’t caught up to that. When you compare to a Geronimo, who isn’t always in the right spot but easily makes up for it with high activity and go-go gadget arms, Hunter will have to step it up. 

Something I think has been underutilized is his post-up game. In HS he had a nice little bag of tricks, and I’d love to see some match-up hunting to use that. Even in the 3 guard line-ups, we won’t be undersized, and I could see him being guarded by opposing 3s that can’t match up. 

I'm more with Alford Bailey, but I like the assessment by Strom. I also believe that Jerome can be a very effective shooter, but I just haven't seen the "quick twitch" moves or cuts in his game much at all.

Geronimo has much much more of that, and has a pretty 3pt shot form to go with it. Limited (4-10) sample size, but they went in too.

Watch Jordan G become a big-time player under Woody--I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more play as a major potential team development on the board.

I'm more with Alford Bailey, but I like the assessment by Strom. I also believe that Jerome can be a very effective shooter, but I just haven't seen the "quick twitch" moves or cuts in his game much at all.
Geronimo has much much more of that, and has a pretty 3pt shot form to go with it. Limited (4-10) sample size, but they went in too.
Watch Jordan G become a big-time player under Woody--I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more play as a major potential team development on the board.

I've been thinking that his injury has affected his quickness similar to Maurice Creek's quickness was affected.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

“Jerome has had a tough go of it. His injury was not one most people have. He is not the same athlete that he once was. He does not have the same ability that other guys have to recover." - Miller

The question is, can he get that athleticism and quickness back? Is the "recover" above talking about his quickness and ability to recover on defense or his ability to recover from the injury and get his athleticism back? I think it was the former but it's not entirely clear from the full quote which it is.

6 hours ago, Stromboli said:

I really like him too. He seems to have so many of the tools to really succeed. And I just like the kid. 

I’ll say, he’s going to have to push the effort up a notch. Explode out of his cuts and get to his spots for this system to work. Of course that goes for everyone, and our roster looks to be much deeper and improved. A little more effort and activity on defense. He looks the part of an NBA player with his loping style, but his skills haven’t caught up to that. When you compare to a Geronimo, who isn’t always in the right spot but easily makes up for it with high activity and go-go gadget arms, Hunter will have to step it up. 

Something I think has been underutilized is his post-up game. In HS he had a nice little bag of tricks, and I’d love to see some match-up hunting to use that. Even in the 3 guard line-ups, we won’t be undersized, and I could see him being guarded by opposing 3s that can’t match up. 

Yeah he showed a really nice baby hook early when Cam ran some sets to get him looks, converted well, and then poof we never saw cam run those sets for him again (another mind-boggling failure to run actual available offense). That baby hook is sweet, would love to see more of it 

1 hour ago, go iu bb said:

“Jerome has had a tough go of it. His injury was not one most people have. He is not the same athlete that he once was. He does not have the same ability that other guys have to recover." - Miller

The question is, can he get that athleticism and quickness back? Is the "recover" above talking about his quickness and ability to recover on defense or his ability to recover from the injury and get his athleticism back? I think it was the former but it's not entirely clear from the full quote which it is.

Also consider the source, just more confidence destroying by cam 

5 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

It’s not either or for me - Geronimo has monster potential, best nba potential on the team imo and he can shoot and we should see a lot more of him and his shooting under Woodson — but, Hunter has the ability to really spread the floor. He may or may not ever have that explosion you’re talking about again, but his game was always a more smooth - sort of Wat-like game, not built on quick-twitch / explosion. If he returns fully healthy I see a lot of Wat - like game in him - and remember Wat went from a guy people complained about for his inability to move laterally quickly on D and soft attempts at the rim through his soph year to one of the best on-ball defenders on the team 

Geronimo's free throw form is not very pretty--5 for 18 including several air balls. He has great raw talent but needs more work than just about any player on the squad. Sorry, but he isn't close to being a reliable 3-point shooter. He hit a couple early in the season when the opposing teams left all alone but then missed most of the 3-point shots he took during conference play. Right now he is best suited for shooting lay ups and playing defense (which he is quite good at). Of course, if he works at his shooting touch like Victor Oladipo did, maybe he can improve enough to see serious playing time. 

I always liked Hunter, but not sure he has shown much that makes him a fit going forward. He has a chance to improve with better coaching and I really hope he does. Bates seems like a real threat to his minutes given his mentality on offense and defense. I just see Hunter as someone who could get lost in the shuffle.

I would be good if he plays very little considering the overall roster.  He shown zero basketball IQ, been suspended or had to sit out games or whatever that was, and is completely lost on the defensive end.  If he improves under the new coaching staff then so be it.  But right now with the new guys coming in not to mention the returnees I don’t see him getting much minutes.

Reminds me of the Mo Creek saga.  Kid comes in, looking to have the opportunity to be something special but gets gut-punched early in his freshman year by serious injury/medical condition.  At least Mo DID have some outstanding performances before tragedy struck, while JH was based on stories and potential.  Overall disappointing, but at least his medical condition was identified and properly treated.

I don't want to kick a kid as he exits, but I have to wonder about his suspension during the season - have we ever learned definitively what happened?  I don't know how serious/committed he was to improving his game before all the medical issues, but it did seem he was occasionally unfocused afterwords (joking around too much).

Whatever the case, best luck to him.  Hopefully he can find success/happiness elsewhere and in life and his leg issues are completely in his rear view mirror.

4 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

Reminds me of the Mo Creek saga.  Kid comes in, looking to have the opportunity to be something special but gets gut-punched early in his freshman year by serious injury/medical condition.  At least Mo DID have some outstanding performances before tragedy struck, while JH was based on stories and potential.  Overall disappointing, but at least his medical condition was identified and properly treated.

I don't want to kick a kid as he exits, but I have to wonder about his suspension during the season - have we ever learned definitively what happened?  I don't know how serious/committed he was to improving his game before all the medical issues, but it did seem he was occasionally unfocused afterwords (joking around too much).

Whatever the case, best luck to him.  Hopefully he can find success/happiness elsewhere and in life and his leg issues are completely in his rear view mirror.

The suspension came from putting teammates in danger of COVID. Hunter was just too chill for Woodson. But I don't believe Hunter thought he would be leaving. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

The suspension came from putting teammates in danger of COVID. Hunter was just too chill for Woodson. But I don't believe Hunter thought he would be leaving. 

Yeah this is a weird announcement. Just that he won't return to the program. No mention of even entering the portal. Of course he can still enter the portal, but your last sentence combined with how it was announced makes it seem like he didn't plan leaving. 

1 minute ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Yeah this is a weird announcement. Just that he won't return to the program. No mention of even entering the portal. Of course he can still enter the portal, but your last sentence combined with how it was announced makes it seem like he didn't plan leaving. 

He didn't plan on leaving. But with his medical condition, he can always stay at IU and get his school paid for. 

1 hour ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

Well...

duh.

This should surprise absolutely no one. 

Geronimo was actively recruited to stay, and for some excellent reasons. He should be a major part of the team going forward. Anybody else who has been speculated about as someone who might leave has been actively featured in our social media and during Coach Woodson and Fife’s interviews.

Moreover...there's the whole "play with intensity" basketball thang.

And, as if that’s not enough, word has been leaking repeatedly that we are actively recruiting a big to join this coming year‘s roster.

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

He didn't plan on leaving. But with his medical condition, he can always stay at IU and get his school paid for. 

Interesting. I'm hesitant to even ask this b/c I don't want it to run wild with unnecessary speculation, but are you saying there is a chance that his departure from the team doesn't necessarily mean he'll be departing IU? But simply no longer playing basketball? 

1 minute ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Interesting. I'm hesitant to even ask this b/c I don't want it to run wild with unnecessary speculation, but are you saying there is a chance that his departure from the team doesn't necessarily mean he'll be departing IU? But simply no longer playing basketball? 

I don't know that, I just know he wasn't planning on leaving IU at this point.