Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2017) PG McKinley Wright to Colorado

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Video interview with McKinley; extensive discussion about his feelings re Archie leaving for IU:

"Is Indiana a possibility, do you think?"

"I was told there was a spot for me at Indiana. I don't really know how I feel about that right now. Like I said, I'm just gonna give it some time and, let everything kinda mellow down."

Looks like if Dayton elevates Tom Ostrom to head coach, he's staying with Dayton, and if Archie brings Ostrom to IUBB McKinley is definitely a Hoosier. FWIW...I checked the ten or so candidates that the Dayton board foresees as next head coach options, and while current Dayton asst coach Kevin Kuwik is one of them, there is absolutely no mention of Ostrom as a potential option. The interviewer really pushes McKinley hard on the recruiting issue.

http://kstp.com/sports/mckinley-wright-reflects-on-eventful-weekend-dayton-indiana-mr-basketball/4437405/

I thought the young man handled himself very well in the interview and gave me the impression he has taken his high school education seriously and not just as a necessary evil to play college/NBA basketball.

11 hours ago, Stromboli said:

Hard to see his point guard abilities in that vid. But his stats speak for themselves, and he uses his body like an elite player.

Compared to Tremont? Not the same level. But we need a PG, and I'm sure CAM is waaaay better at judging talent than me.

Last thing. CuJo could make a big jump. He was nasty in high school, I think he has a lot more than we've seen.

Wright just looks like a basketball player in that vid. And I mean that in a complimentary way. Seems to lack elite quickness/first step/explosion, but I am convinced that all IU fans really need to recalibrate our PG ideas after watching Yogi for four years. We got used to watching a guy who was so quick it was pretty much impossible for the other team to stay in front of him when he wanted to get to the rim to score or dish. It's not that easy to find.

Thought you guys might find the Dayton board's take on this interesting:
http://udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30774

On their message board. Someone asked if you would welcome Crean's 2017 recruiting class if Tom Crean was named Dayton's next coach. They answered by saying that they would rather not have Crean as their coach. Ouch.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

2 hours ago, 513HoosierJS said:

Not sure if you all heard but Miller said of Wright on the Dakich show "He's committed to Dayton and I hope he stays with Dayton." It could all be BS but I found it interesting.

I think it was more in the line of the politically correct answer.  If CAM wants him in Bloomington, the message will get to Wright and vice-versa.

Yeah CAM isn't going to come out and say that he wants to take a recruit or a player from Dayton publically but I'm sure he will communicate with these players personally and not publically.

1 minute ago, ap2345 said:

Yeah CAM isn't going to come out and say that he wants to take a recruit or a player from Dayton publically but I'm sure he will communicate with these players personally and not publically.

Actually, I think it's a violation of NCAA rules if CAM has direct contact with Wright because there is a signed LOI to Dayton in place.  If Wright gets released then direct contact is OK. In the interim, any contact would have to be through indirect channels, i.e., high school coach or AAU coach.

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Actually, I think it's a violation of NCAA rules if CAM has direct contact with Wright because there is a signed LOI to Dayton in place.  If Wright gets released then direct contact is OK. In the interim, any contact would have to be through indirect channels, i.e., high school coach or AAU coach.

Yeah that's what I meant. I probably should have been more specific. But the point is the players will get the message.