Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archie Miller  

265 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the hire?

• Good Hire
    • Bad Hire
    • Wait and see/I really just don't know
    • I don't have a logical opinion because I thought Donovan was realistic

I voted "bad hire" and my logic is:

He has no track record of success, just a reputation of being a brilliant, up-and-coming young coach.

I'm reminded of the San Francisco 49ers in the '90s, a powerhouse franchise under Bill Walsh and George Siefert. They had this "great young up-and-coming coach" named Steve Mariucci. Rather than lose him to another franchise, they ousted Siefert. Mariucci proceeded to lead the 49ers to mediocrity.

At least Crean had a Final Four on his list of credentials. What does Miller have? I hope someone can alleviate my distress over what I consider at this point a thoughtless hire.

1 minute ago, incrediboy said:

He has no track record of success, just a reputation of being a brilliant, up-and-coming young coach.

I'm reminded of the San Francisco 49ers in the '90s, a powerhouse franchise under Bill Walsh and George Siefert. They had this "great young up-and-coming coach" named Steve Mariucci. Rather than lose him to another franchise, they ousted Siefert. Mariucci proceeded to lead the 49ers to mediocrity.

At least Crean had a Final Four on his list of credentials. What does Miller have? I hope someone can alleviate my distress over what I consider at this point a thoughtless hire.

He has no track record of success?   He's won back to back conference titles and has averaged 26 wins per season over the last for.  He had an elite eight at Dayton versus the final four that Crean had (when he had Dwayne Wade).

C'mon.

3 minutes ago, incrediboy said:

Be careful with comparisons though, especially in sports.  So, so many different factors influence whether or not a coach can be successful, especially when you compare professional sports to college.

You and I both know that for every situation where a young up-and-comer turned out poorly, there are probably plenty of examples of them turning out well.

Time will tell.

The hype surrounding the potential Donovan hire was so overwhelming it's hard not to feel just a little bit let down.  But on the other hand, it could have been Alford (shiver).  He's our coach and I'll certainly support him in the short run and hope that he's another coach plucked from a much smaller stage, i.e., RMK, that can restore the IU brand and image.  Welcome Archie. Make us proud once again.