Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archie Miller  

265 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the hire?

• Good Hire
    • Bad Hire
    • Wait and see/I really just don't know
    • I don't have a logical opinion because I thought Donovan was realistic

20 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

He has no track record of success?   He's won back to back conference titles and has averaged 26 wins per season over the last for.  He had an elite eight at Dayton versus the final four that Crean had (when he had Dwayne Wade).

C'mon.

All right, after reading so much positive comment, I'm going to backtrack to "wait and see" instead of "bad hire." I'm still convinced we could have done better (Chris Mack was my first choice although I don't know if he would leave his dream job at his alma mater...but couldn't we have waited til Xavier was out and talked to him?). And I can't shake that Miller's predecessor was also a "great young coach" out of Dayton. Brian Gregory was swooped up by Georgia Tech and fired five years later after one NIT appearance. Granted, his numbers weren't quite as impressive as Miller's, but thoughts like that nag me when I think about Dayton. So now I will try to throw out my prejudices and look at how he handles our current group. Who stays, who goes? (I expect Blackmon and OG would go pro no matter what). What recruits stay? Which go? Does anyone face "Miller Time"? (my coinage to replace "Creaned"). Do any of his recruits from Dayton follow him? 

And, this should go without saying, I'm cheering for him 100% because I'm an IU fan above all other fandom.

18 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

I think Miller is in over his head, but can't blame him. Glass choked under pressure. I read on here last night that Donovan said IU never contacted him. THAT is pathetic.

He said IU didn't contact HIM. IU was in contact with his agent multiple times to gauge his interest.

6 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngjust read on a Ohio State board where they didn't understand why Archie didn't wait since Ohio State is a better job.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That program needs to fall into mediocrity and stay there. I'm not sure anyone profited from our post-Knight failures more than them.

10 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Always glad to have a member of the fairer sex join us.  Welcome aboard.

Thanks.  I live in Richmond and just moved back here after spending the past 22 years in Lexington/Frankfort.  I'm a happy camper tonight - new IU coach and UK just lost!  Still trying to wrap my head around the fact that our new young coach is related to Cal.  Who knew.

5 minutes ago, IU1988girl said:

Thanks.  I live in Richmond and just moved back here after spending the past 22 years in Lexington/Frankfort.  I'm a happy camper tonight - new IU coach and UK just lost!  Still trying to wrap my head around the fact that our new young coach is related to Cal.  Who knew.

The refer to themselves as cousins because the families are close but there is no actual blood relationship.

Kentucky Wildcats coach John Calipari goes way back with the family of Archie Miller. He’s from the same area of western Pennsylvania as the Millers and wrote the foreword for a book written about Archie’s dad John last year.

Edited by Class of '66 Old Fart

46 minutes ago, IU1988girl said:

Richmond IN or KY?