Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I thought it was a decent to good hire after the home run options were eliminated.  I wanted a home run.  

outside looking in, Archie looked the same or better than Holtman, The Cheater at Illinois, or even later Juwan Howard.  

archie just hasn’t meet or exceeded the challenge for whatever reason. 

If things don’t improve this is exactly where I am.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We’ve made as many bowl games since 2008 as we have NCAA tournaments. Imagine going back and explaining that one to an IU fan 20 years ago. 

Well it all started with a phone call.  Or more specifically a few too many phone calls...

18 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

If things don’t improve this is exactly where I am.

Improve a lot, a little?  Would you draw any conclusions this year or will you not make this decision till next year regardless 

Improve a lot, a little?  Would you draw any conclusions this year or will you not make this decision till next year regardless 

If we lose out in closing the seat will be burning hot. If we win 1 lose 1 etc, it will be status quo, and pray for next season.

I think he gets next season no matter what happens to finish, which isn’t my desire.

The apathy is clearly growing at a faster rate than it ever has before. The administration has some big decisions to make.

So much of the decision is WHO can we get and WHEN?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

10 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

If we lose out in closing the seat will be burning hot. If we win 1 lose 1 etc, it will be status quo, and pray for next season.

I think he gets next season no matter what happens to finish, which isn’t my desire.

The apathy is clearly growing at a faster rate than it ever has before. The administration has some big decisions to make.

I think the apathy is growing because it looked like he was a good hire till the collapse in 2018. 

He started 12-9 his first 21 big ten games and something like 20-30 since then.  

The universe built us up only to dash our hopes.  Even I was hopeful after we started 3-0 in 2018 but then reality set in. 

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

53 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Two in a row!

I am with Wayne exactly the way he said it this time too.

4 hours ago, Josh said:

I can say that two posters in particular who used to post a lot but don't anymore are extremely condescending name callers.  When somebody would post that Miller would not be a good coach, they responded with insults.  So they can dish it but they can't take it?

A lot of people here may disagree with Chicken Sandwich, but I have never seen him name call another poster.  Yet the pumping mob has no problem doing it.  This board would be a lot better if we discussed the subject matter rather than name call the ones we disagree with.  Wayne is right, there can be a large mob mentality here that loves to bash "negative posters".  

There are also pumpers who are extremely repetitive with their comments, yet they complain about dumpers doing the same.  Again...if you can dish it, you should take it.

If people who are fans of this program don't want to hear anything negative, they should switch to shows about gardening.

You know as well as I do you're in part referring to me, and given what another guy said last month, I thought I'd make an appearance for no other reason than you two still seem obsessed.  You've always done exactly what you did here. (and if "stalker" is name calling, then yep.  It fits a couple guys, and I'll stand behind that as long as I need to)  It's cheap and it's a narrative....not reality.   THIS is why I left and only rarely post anymore.   Making some claim that I can't "take it" is laughable.  Who "took" more than me over the years?   I'll wait.   I did so because I knew damned good and well my first point below was accurate and the ease of narrative vs. truth is time tested.

1)  I'll give you a week.  A month.   As long as you want to find a single time when I insulted someone without being personally insulted first - and I don't always mean in a single post.  I mean given history.   I'll wait on THAT, too.  Same question re: condescending.  I'm condescending toward YOU simply in response to the way you always treated ME.   Something about not being able to take it??    When have I done that without it having been done to me, first?  You included and don't lie to everyone and give it the "who, ME?" BS.   You know better and so do I.  Stop it.  You're civil to me, I'm civil to you; and I promise there are only a handful of people where condescension has entered the fray.  I'll call a spade a spade.  You can either take it or you can't.

2)   My story on Archie was consistently that we needed to wait until he had his own players to judge him.  I never - as far as I know - claimed anything.  He's very obviously a good coach.  Is he the right coach?  I know I never claimed that.  And he's got about 3 weeks to make some changes because his team is awful to watch, and I know a whole lot of influential people, including one woman whose name is on the building where he coaches, have had enough.   I also know the support from administration has been sub-par, and all of the blame isn't on his shoulders.    That's for another thread.

3)  In response to your bunk mate a couple of weeks ago, who also claimed I said Tom Crean would be great at IU, that's another laughable narrative and a flat assed lie, just like my saying anything but the above re: Archie.   "I can teach a fat kid in flip flops to stand still."    "You can't win the conference and then finish 10th."  "Tom Crean can get kids to say yes, but he can't build a program."   Any of that sound familiar?  THAT's what I said, among myriad other things.  Since his first season when I watched his offense stand still; and for his entire tenure we could only score consistently in transition.

20 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

You know as well as I do you're in part referring to me, and given what another guy said last month, I thought I'd make an appearance for no other reason than you two still seem obsessed.  You've always done exactly what you did here. (and if "stalker" is name calling, then yep.  It fits a couple guys, and I'll stand behind that as long as I need to)  It's cheap and it's a narrative....not reality.   THIS is why I left and only rarely post anymore.   Making some claim that I can't "take it" is laughable.  Who "took" more than me over the years?   I'll wait.   I did so because I knew damned good and well my first point was accurate and the ease of narrative vs. truth is time tested.

1)  I'll give you a week.  A month.   As long as you want to find a single time when I insulted someone without being personally insulted first - and I don't always mean in a single post.  I mean given history.   I'll wait on THAT, too.  Same question re: condescending.  I'm condescending toward YOU simply in response to the way you always treated ME.   Something about not being able to take it??    When have I done that without it having been done to me, first?  You included and don't lie to everyone and give it the "who, ME?" BS.   You know better and so do I.  Stop it.  You're civil to me, I'm civil to you; and I promise there are only a handful of people where condescension has entered the fray.  I'll call a spade a spade.  You can either take it or you can't.

2)   My story on Archie was consistently that we needed to wait until he had his own players to judge him.  I never - as far as I know - claimed anything.  He's very obviously a good coach.  Is he the right coach?  I know I never claimed that.  And he's got about 3 weeks to make some changes because his team is awful to watch, and I know a whole lot of influential people, including one woman whose name is on the building where he coaches, have had enough.   I also know the support from administration has been sub-par, and all of the blame isn't on his shoulders.    That's for another thread.

3)  In response to your bunk mate a couple of weeks ago, who also claimed I said Tom Crean would be great at IU, that's another laughable narrative and a flat assed lie, just like my saying anything but the above re: Archie.   "I can teach a fat kid in flip flops to stand still."    "You can't win the conference and then finish 10th."  "Tom Crean can get kids to say yes, but he can't build a program."   Any of that sound familiar?  THAT's what I said, among myriad other things.  Since his first season when I watched his offense stand still; and for his entire tenure we could only score consistently in transition.

There’s a lot of notable stuff in that post. However, the one line from that I’m going to remember and use myself is “I can teach a fat kid in flip-flops to stand still”

That’s truly outstanding.

Edit: Also mighty interesting is the bit about an unhappy SimonSkodt. That has real impact if she is insistent enough.

15 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

You know as well as I do you're in part referring to me, and given what another guy said last month, I thought I'd make an appearance for no other reason than you two still seem obsessed.  You've always done exactly what you did here. (and if "stalker" is name calling, then yep.  It fits a couple guys, and I'll stand behind that as long as I need to)  It's cheap and it's a narrative....not reality.   THIS is why I left and only rarely post anymore.   Making some claim that I can't "take it" is laughable.  Who "took" more than me over the years?   I'll wait.   I did so because I knew damned good and well my first point below was accurate and the ease of narrative vs. truth is time tested.

Do you seriously lurk on this board until somebody mentions you and your terrible posting habits only to leap from the shadows to further solidify those views?

The more time that passes, the more I think we were only elite in the modern era because of Bob Knight and we won’t ever be elite again. (Yes, I know IU had Branch McCracken before that, but that was pre-modern era). We’ve won the conference three times in my life. We’ve been past the sweet 16 once in my life, and that happened when I was 7 years old. The kids coming to IU now weren’t even alive in 2002 when that happened. Those kids know a program that misses the tournament more often than it makes it. We’ve had four coaches since Knight, and none of them have panned out. 

The fans are the only thing really keeping the program alive at this point, and we’re usually crapped on for being “unrealistic.” The pandemic season has made it very clear that without the fans we’re a mediocre program. Take away the 17k screaming fans inside Assembly Hall and we’re no different from a random P5 team. Our coaching isn’t special. Our players aren’t special. Nothing’s special about us. 

I wanted Crean fired in 2017 because I thought that he was the problem. I thought all we had to do was fire him and we’d be great again. Now, though, I don’t care if we fire Archie or keep him. I don’t expect things to change either way. I’ll believe that IU can be elite again when I see it. 

What's obvious is this program needs turned around soon. The posters that are gone isn't because of negative posters its because iu basketball sucks under archie and they can't handle that on top of negative posts. We start winning some and this place will be more fun but remember its a message board and if we aren't hanging ncaa championships banners there will be dumpers it is just the way it is. Believe me I believe the negative posters want archie and iu to win big and would welcome crow being fed to them with open arms. Fact is though this program hasn't been good enough in a long time and certainly not last 4 years

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The more time that passes, the more I think we were only elite in the modern era because of Bob Knight and we won’t ever be elite again. (Yes, I know IU had Branch McCracken before that, but that was pre-modern era). We’ve won the conference three times in my life. We’ve been past the sweet 16 once in my life, and that happened when I was 7 years old. The kids coming to IU now weren’t even alive in 2002 when that happened. Those kids know a program that misses the tournament more often than it makes it. We’ve had four coaches since Knight, and none of them have panned out. 

The fans are the only thing really keeping the program alive at this point, and we’re usually crapped on for being “unrealistic.” The pandemic season has made it very clear that without the fans we’re a mediocre program. Take away the 17k screaming fans inside Assembly Hall and we’re no different from a random P5 team. Our coaching isn’t special. Our players aren’t special. Nothing’s special about us. 

I wanted Crean fired in 2017 because I thought that he was the problem. I thought all we had to do was fire him and we’d be great again. Now, though, I don’t care if we fire Archie or keep him. I don’t expect things to change either way. I’ll believe that IU can be elite again when I see it. 

College basketball has been and will continue to be about who the head coach is. Get the right coach and you’re elite until they are gone. Cycle through mediocre to decent coaches and your stuck as a middling team. Kentucky didn’t make Cal. Cal was already good. Duke didn’t make Coach K. K almost got fired but finally got it going. IU didn’t make Knight. Knight was a fabulous coach and would have won anywhere. The point is, IU has the history to pull in a big time coach if it chooses to do it because of the history. 

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

Welcome back. Make the dance and the boosters you know give it more time? Any thought on who they would go after as far as an IU guy or outside the family?

13 minutes ago, Feathery said:

College basketball has been and will co to he to be about who the head coach is. Get the right coach and you’re elite until they are gone. Cycle through mediocre to decent coaches and your stuck as a middling team. Kentucky didn’t make Cal. Cal was already good. Duke didn’t make Coach K. K almost got fired but finally got it going. IU didn’t make Knight. Knight was a fabulous coach and would have won anywhere. The point is, IU has the history to pull in a big time coach if it chooses to do it because of the history. 

Yeah. People pretend like we aren’t trying at all.  Crean and Archie have had the highest recruiting budget and were the second highest paid coaches in the big ten at one point in their tenure. And the highest paid not to have won a Tourney. 

The key is to have standards and cut a guy when he’s clearly a loser so you can try it again.  Two deadbeat coaches should cost 6-8 years not 14 years. 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Do you seriously lurk on this board until somebody mentions you and your terrible posting habits only to leap from the shadows to further solidify those views?

This line literally made me laugh out loud...

“I'll call a spade a spade.  You can either take it or you can't.”

This is a basketball forum, not some kind of life or death situation. Just funny stuff.

12 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

This line literally made me laugh out loud...

“I'll call a spade a spade.  You can either take it or you can't.”

This is a basketball forum, not some kind of life or death situation. Just funny stuff.

DChoosier...YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH 

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

DChoosier...YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH 

Oh shoot I missed my favorite part.

“Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with mod powers. Who's gonna do it? You? ... I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it.”

9 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

^^This^^

There have been more than a few posters, really good ones, who have privately told me they were leaving because they believe this board and other boards have become dominated by posters who seem to flood the place with redundant posts about how terrible everything is instead of rooting for IU.

These are people who state that they can plainly see flaws in team performance, but that they come here for enjoyment, and redundant negativity is not enjoyable. To me, that is extremely disappointing. And it takes a lot for me to get discouraged.

For this level of redundant outrage and negativity to follow a bad loss to the number 4 team nationally is, IMO, complete overkill.

Of course I see that the program is not crushing it, but there is not nearly enough discussion of the road forward or the potential of the team, at least not compared to so many posts by some effectively saying “Hooray for me cause I told you we were gonna suck.”

Of course, there are many that this doesn’t apply to, but I worry that the ones this does apply to are drowning the others with the volume and frequency of their sadness.

Hell, I had to delete posts AGAIN in the CJ Gunn thread about what CJ will do when the coach gets fired. That’s just terrible, joy sucking, self-defeating stuff on multiple levels. And if you think differently? Yikes.

Rant almost over. I sincerely hope that Archie and the guys rip off a four game winning streak and shove it up the naysayers’ collective  #%*.  Probably won’t happen but absolutely possible.

Rant now over: Go IU.

Bingo.  Heck, I pretty much left another Hoosier board I had made over 40,000 posts over the years because of not just the negativity but the redundancy.  Got tired of posters posting over and over about how boring it was to watch IU do the same thing over and over again.  

At this point, we all know where everybody stands on the coaching situation.  I miss just posting in a game thread of people just rooting for the team to do well in that game.....no game thread is ever taken in isolation.  Lose and it devolves, win and it's that are doing it consistently or often enough.