Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

2 minutes ago, FortWayneHoosier said:

Here's the thing, everyone assumes coaches just want to come here. Thats not the case. Just because a job opens doesn't mean a coach is just gonna up and leave what they have built and are working on. How do we even know that Indiana even contacted him or any other of the what seems like a million coaches?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

If we didn't then Glass needs fired tomorrow 

4 minutes ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

A few things I hope to see from Archie early on...

1) Hit the ground running. Player retention and completing the roster for next year will be key. Through no fault of his own, some are disappointed that he's not as big of a name as Stevens or Donovan. Getting us back in the tournament next year will be evidence we're pointed in the right direction and better off than we were with Crean. If teams like Minnesota and Northwestern made it this year, we should have enough pieces to make it next year. It will keep momentum going.

2) Establish plenty of Indiana contacts. Obviously, he needs to make the program his "own" to an extent, but make sure to include people from IU and the state. That doesn't mean he needs a bench of former Hoosiers. It just means that he can't lose the state. When that happened to Crean, his tenure was doomed. So even if these connections are never made public, make sure they exist. He'll need them. Make them exist and make those relationships strong.

3) Have a clear focus on recruiting. Don't take the shotgun approach. Find your niche and excel in it. He's right in the middle of a fertile recruiting ground, so I would he makes Indiana/Ohio/Illinois his primary base, recruiting nationally when appropriate. Piggybacking off of Point #1, a few commits from high level players in future classes will certainly build excitement as he's getting this thing off the ground.

3A) Manage the roster. The "we're young" excuse doesn't hold much weight these days. Many teams are young. Make sure to recruit some guys who will stick around for four years and maintain a consistent level of winning. (This is where the #5-#8 ranked players in Indiana come into play every year... i.e. your Nic Moore's, Bryant McIntosh's, Eron Harris', etc.)

4) Talk is cheap. Just do it. Don't try to sell the fans on stuff. They know baloney when they hear it. Don't speak in platitudes and make excuses. The proof is on the court and his coaching will be judged as such.

All in all, I'm cautiously optimistic. He's clearly a "potential" hire, as the hope is that he can really utilize the inherent advantages IU possesses and run with them. But we really need him to be ready for the big-time now. I've read he runs some motion-type of offense that uses off-the-ball screens. Good. Defense seems to be relatively stout. There isn't any reason why he can't make us what his brother has made Arizona. And 90% of IU fans would take that right now. Hopefully his recruiting can take off like that immediately.

Another note: I heard he was an assistant coach on the Team USA U-19 team? If that's true, that's key. I'd imagine there are heavy recruiting advantages that exist there.

Very good post sir

Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News:
“I think it’s a tremendous hire. I knew all along that Indiana was the kind of place that Archie was waiting to hear from. He had a lot of opportunities after the Elite Eight run in 2014. He’s been very smart and very patient about his next career step. He’s taken one of the best jobs in college coaching.
“The first thing that stands out is he’s about as competitive a coach as I’ve come across. You don’t get far without that being one of your main personality traits. You have to be highly, highly competitive. Just like there are great shooters and then there’s Rick Barry, there are guys like Arch who have another tick, that even the above-average guys don’t have. He’s really intense. He’s really driven. He’s really smart.”
“One of the first things that impressed me when he went to Dayton was the people he gathered around him with Kevin Kuwik, Bill Comar, Tom Ostrom and Allen Griffin. They’re all really sharp guys. There are no hangers-on there, nobody just collecting a check.
“They all contributed at a high level to Dayton’s success. I’m not sure what will be his next step about his staff at IU. I’m sure a lot of those guys will be a part of it. He was really smart about building a staff that would work at a high level.”
Some have made comments about Indiana not hiring a “big-name” coach. What are your thoughts about that?
“I would like to see the list of programs that have hired a quote unquote big name and were celebrating in the Final Four five years later or 10 years later,” DeCourcy said. “How many are there? Obviously, Kentucky hired John Calipari, but it is not often you have guys like Cal at Memphis and you can get him from there.
“There are elite coaches like Archie Miller, like Chris Collins, like a Gregg Marshall. They hired the one they felt fit them the best. We don’t know if other coaches were discussed or approached.
“They found the one in that group that works for them. I don’t know how much bigger a name you can get than a guy who has coached in four consecutive NCAA Tournaments and has been to an Elite Eight. Maybe Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan, but those guys aren’t leaving the NBA.”

3 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News:
“I think it’s a tremendous hire. I knew all along that Indiana was the kind of place that Archie was waiting to hear from. He had a lot of opportunities after the Elite Eight run in 2014. He’s been very smart and very patient about his next career step. He’s taken one of the best jobs in college coaching.
“The first thing that stands out is he’s about as competitive a coach as I’ve come across. You don’t get far without that being one of your main personality traits. You have to be highly, highly competitive. Just like there are great shooters and then there’s Rick Barry, there are guys like Arch who have another tick, that even the above-average guys don’t have. He’s really intense. He’s really driven. He’s really smart.”
“One of the first things that impressed me when he went to Dayton was the people he gathered around him with Kevin Kuwik, Bill Comar, Tom Ostrom and Allen Griffin. They’re all really sharp guys. There are no hangers-on there, nobody just collecting a check.
“They all contributed at a high level to Dayton’s success. I’m not sure what will be his next step about his staff at IU. I’m sure a lot of those guys will be a part of it. He was really smart about building a staff that would work at a high level.”
Some have made comments about Indiana not hiring a “big-name” coach. What are your thoughts about that?
“I would like to see the list of programs that have hired a quote unquote big name and were celebrating in the Final Four five years later or 10 years later,” DeCourcy said. “How many are there? Obviously, Kentucky hired John Calipari, but it is not often you have guys like Cal at Memphis and you can get him from there.
“There are elite coaches like Archie Miller, like Chris Collins, like a Gregg Marshall. They hired the one they felt fit them the best. We don’t know if other coaches were discussed or approached.
“They found the one in that group that works for them. I don’t know how much bigger a name you can get than a guy who has coached in four consecutive NCAA Tournaments and has been to an Elite Eight. Maybe Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan, but those guys aren’t leaving the NBA.”

Agree. He was going to the next big job. Glad it was us.

What did KU fans think when Self was hired?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Well Self was coaching at Illinois and had built a title contending team. They were obviously happy after losing Roy Williams. He had been at Illinois for 3 years. Before that he was at Tulsa. They were familiar with him.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

22 minutes ago, rebelhoosier848891 said:

It's a sign!  There is a great pic on #iubb  twitter from today showing a rainbow over and ending on top of The Hall. Archie has now been endorsed by God and that is good enough for me! A new era of IU basketball greatness has began!

19 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Glad your on board rebel we need your eternal optimism that carried us through alot of the crean dark ages

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

Thanks. You have no idea how hard it was to stay that positive during that crapstorm! I am worn out. Anyway--back to "the sign"---I think we should call the rainbow over The Hall today "Archie's Arch". Amazing that it was there the day he was hired.

Saw somewhere AM had a seat reserved for the state title games today. Any sitings heard?

Id guess he didn't make it. He probably had a lot of stuff to sort through on top of getting his affairs in order to move ASAP.