Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

18 minutes ago, theriverpilot said:

Ok, the hire is growing on me every minute, especially after this-

'But as far as dealing with the stuff that comes with the Indiana job, he’s going to take the approach of `You can take your Internet and all your whatever and you can shove it up you’re a** and I’m going to do my job. I’m here to win games.’’’

http://www.wthr.com/article/kravitz-miller-has-the-coaching-chops-and-the-personality-to-handle-the-iu-expectations

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'm warming up to the hire, slightly, but too bar fair the national media thought Crean was a home run too.

I'll give him a few months to sale me a product. I know it would be smart to give him a couple seasons, but this isn't a complete rebuild. 

He needs to win me over in recruiting, coaching clinics, and community awareness this summer. 

His offense concerns me, it seems a little Creany to me. His defense shouldn't be an issue. HIs recruiting also seems a little concerning. 

For me, my BtownBanners published preference list was:
1) DonovanStevens 2) Sean Miller 3) someone under 45 years old.
Based on those criteria, Fred Glass likely went and got me the #1 guy nationally who was interested in the job.

Just now, jmsgws said:

My search showed that he made about 690,000 in 2016.  http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Fair enough.  That isn't accurate though.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/miller-highest-paid-coach-atlantic/2f8Jru3hw6UF6JAZzehtgP/

Looks like he was making around $1.8 based on that article.

Edited by HoosierX

People are nuts. This is a great hire assuming Donovan said no. Having attended the Dayton Wichita St game I can tell you Dayton played better D in that game than any game I have watched Crean coach in 9 yrs. Both teams were so under-seeded and it was unfair they played in 1st rd and both teams looked amazingly disciplined.

I am so happy to shove it in the stupid Dayton fans face next to me who loved Archie and was so arrogant and said we would never get him. Well we've got him now.

Dayton fans on their message boards are in mourning over losing him which is a very good sign Marquette considering message boards were kind of happy to see Crean go when he left them for IU 9 yrs ago.

This is probably the biggest fail for him, but he's also just known for being a complete hack when it comes to reporting things

He has lost all credabilty in my book. I think he said something about alford earlier that was flat out false also. I will no longer follow him personally.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Woodson1980 said:

What I like in this hire the most is the youth.Give him some time and he will get us where we need to be.I really think he's a better coach then his brother.Let him prove themself and not go crazy with extensions until your sure Fred.Welcome aboard Archie!

Ugh.....I know that is only reasonable, but sheesh. I'm a Cubs fan too, so there is always "next year" and it finally paid off.Now we start to wait for the Youngster to figure it out on the fly and in 5-6yrs we'll be somewhere! 

And if Glass paid him $3mil? He shouldn't be fired he should be executed. Paying a guy with Miller's resume that much is criminal.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

But you want the brother who hasn't proven he can win or recruit at this level?

Sean is in the mix. Coach K losses all the time to less talented teams in NCAAs. He is THE LEGEND. If Sean keeps putting up 30-5 seasons he'll get one at some point.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Sean was NEVER going to seriously sniff around a high profile job is brother was in the mix for. People have to think this through. Sean already has a great job where he has a high level of success and is very well paid. Sniping the IU job, or attempting to, would have made the holidays at the folks' place very uncomfortable. 

Can we assume Tony turned down the job? Shouldn't that be a little alarming?.. 

This is probably the biggest fail for him, but he's also just known for being a complete hack when it comes to reporting things

Maybe he was never offered. I thought people hated his offense and he cant get it done in the tourmey.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Also I have not seen anyone bring this up and I feel this is most important is so far he has followed his Brother Sean in every way. Both had jobs at mid majors in Ohio (yes I know Xavier is now a power 6 but they were not when Sean was there) where they took teams to elite 8's and dominated their league once they got it going. Both stayed several years and held out for elite jobs.

Since Sean took his spot at Zona he has stepped it up to elite results in Pac 12 (some will argue since he has not been to a Final 4 its been underachieving but I disagree) and if Archie can step it up like Sean has when he took the elite job we are in for a fun next 10 years. I will gladly take similar results to what Sean has had for Archie.

All we need is for Archie to continue to follow Sean as he has had so far and I think there is a good chance of that.

Assuming Donovan turned us down I love this hire for three reasons:

1. Having attended the Dayton Wichita St game I can tell you Dayton played better D in that game than any game I have watched Crean coach in 9 yrs. Both teams were so under-seeded and it was unfair they played in 1st rd and both teams looked amazingly disciplined. I am so happy to shove it in the stupid Dayton fans face next to me who loved Archie and was so arrogant and said we would never get him. Well we've got him now.

2. Dayton fans on their message boards are in mourning over losing him which is a very good sign Marquette considering message boards were kind of happy to see Crean go when he left them for IU 9 yrs ago.

3. So far he has followed his brother Sean in every way. Both had jobs at mid majors in Ohio (yes I know Xavier is now a power 6 but they were not when Sean was there) where they took teams to elite 8's and dominated their league once they got it going. Both stayed several years and held out for elite jobs. Since Sean took his spot at Zona he has stepped it up to elite results in Pac 12 (some will argue since he has not been to a Final 4 its been underachieving but I disagree) and if Archie can step it up like Sean has when he took the elite job we are in for a fun next 10 years. I will gladly take similar results to what Sean has had for Archie. All we need is for Archie to continue to follow Sean as he has had so far and I think there is a good chance of that.

Just now, Hardwood83 said:

Ugh.....I know that is only reasonable, but sheesh. I'm a Cubs fan too, so there is always "next year" and it finally paid off.Now we start to wait for the Youngster to figure it out on the fly and in 5-6yrs we'll be somewhere! 

And if Glass paid him $3mil? He shouldn't be fired he should be executed. Paying a guy with Miller's resume that much is criminal.

Uhhh hyperbole much?  If we really got him for 3 MM, in my mind that is a major bargain.  He very likely could have made 3 MM or more going somewhere else.  Illinois is paying Brad Underwood over 3 MM.

Are we supposed to pay him less than what he made at Datyon?