Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

I don't know who on here is a student and who's not, but I can tell you that hiring Bennett is a great way to alienate the student body from everything I'm hearing on campus. None of us want to watch games that end in scores comparable to girls high school games, so as much as it sucks to say, a lot of us probably just won't come if we can only expect to put up 50 points a game. Not that this has any influence on the search, I'm just saying Glass better keep an eye on how the students are going to react if he plans on having them in Assembly next year

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I don't think that if Alford truly knew that his guy was guilty of what he was accused of that he would've done the things that he did. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he's not that terrible of a guy that he would work so hard to keep a guy he knew was a rapist out of jail to win basketball games. I think he went to bat for someone that he honestly believed in and got burned because he trusted the wrong person. He deserves criticism for the way he handled it, but imo saying "he defended a rapist" implies that he knew Pierre Pierce was guilty, didn't care, and still defended him. Maybe that really was what happened, but all the reports make it seem like he believed Pierce was innocent. 

Pierce was his stud (no pun intended) and his team would tank without him.

Agree to disagree.

31 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:
I was getting ready to ask if we could stop with all the Alford banter in this thread and try to keep it in his own thread and then I saw the following and felt it should be posted in a thread that so many are following.  The letter is lenghty but it's written by Julie DiCaro a weekend host, update anchor for 670 The Score and a columnist for CBSChicago.com.  Very courageous on her part.

Great article. Incredibly brave of the writer to share her story and perspective. A couple key quotes:

1) Alford has not learned

In 2003, Alford lamented to Boers & Bernstein that “two lives have been affected” but was still loathe to admit Pierce’s role. Though Pierce had at the time of the interview already pleaded guilty to assault causing injury to the victim, Alford continued to back his player:

“He’s done a tremendous job of handling things and he’s working awfully hard,” Alford said then.

“Pierre is a great kid. He’s from a great home and this is a very unfortunate situation for him and the victim.”

2) Glass isn't going to hire him

In firing football coach Kevin Wilson this past fall for allegedly mistreating student-athletes, Indiana athletic director Fred Glass had some notable comments.

“What might be OK at other places, what might be OK in an industry, isn’t necessarily OK here,” Glass said, according to the Indy Star. “That doesn’t make me right or wrong, but I can tell you that I came at this earnestly and with the best interests of Indiana University at heart. I’ll tell you that I’m proud to be part of an institution that puts doing what it thinks is the right thing ahead of competitive success.”

I don't know who on here is a student and who's not, but I can tell you that hiring Bennett is a great way to alienate the student body from everything I'm hearing on campus. None of us want to watch games that end in scores comparable to girls high school games, so as much as it sucks to say, a lot of us probably just won't come if we can only expect to put up 50 points a game. Not that this has any influence on the search, I'm just saying Glass better keep an eye on how the students are going to react if he plans on having them in Assembly next year

So you are basing this on one game?

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Exactly. We're only going to get our announcement as soon as we hit 1,000 pages.

1,000 pages is standard for all breaking new to occur

Well, we better get going then, 855 pages to go.

2 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Great article. Incredibly brave of the writer to share her story and perspective. A couple key quotes:

1) Alford has not learned

In 2003, Alford lamented to Boers & Bernstein that “two lives have been affected” but was still loathe to admit Pierce’s role. Though Pierce had at the time of the interview already pleaded guilty to assault causing injury to the victim, Alford continued to back his player:

“He’s done a tremendous job of handling things and he’s working awfully hard,” Alford said then.

“Pierre is a great kid. He’s from a great home and this is a very unfortunate situation for him and the victim.”

2) Glass isn't going to hire him

In firing football coach Kevin Wilson this past fall for allegedly mistreating student-athletes, Indiana athletic director Fred Glass had some notable comments.

“What might be OK at other places, what might be OK in an industry, isn’t necessarily OK here,” Glass said, according to the Indy Star. “That doesn’t make me right or wrong, but I can tell you that I came at this earnestly and with the best interests of Indiana University at heart. I’ll tell you that I’m proud to be part of an institution that puts doing what it thinks is the right thing ahead of competitive success.”

Glass set a precedent with that last paragraph.  It'll be interesting how serious he was with it.

Hurry up and wait! That's the name of the game right now. Speculating and hanging on so-called insider info is all we have right now. In short--we probably won't really know anything until we know something officially. Fingers and toes crossed for Donovan!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

8 minutes ago, uncle_t13 said:

I've never understood the "appeal" of high scoring games. Theoretically, the more you score, the lower the value of each bucket. The less you score the more value each bucket has. Ever watch the NBA all star game? It's unwatchable, and each bucket is almost meaningless. Personally I am ok with low scoring games (I may even prefer them). All that matters is WINNING.

6 minutes ago, ThisIsIndiana11 said:

I've never understood the "appeal" of high scoring games. Theoretically, the more you score, the lower the value of each bucket. The less you score the more value each bucket has. Ever watch the NBA all star game? It's unwatchable, and each bucket is almost meaningless. Personally I am ok with low scoring games (I may even prefer them). All that matters is WINNING.

Have you ever watched an NBA game? It's highly watchable.