Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

2 minutes ago, hoosierbannerd said:

I liked the Allen hire- he was getting the D to play better; something IU has lacked for years. Like basketball, in football; champions start by having a good D.  Have a strong O line, decent D- you're gonna win a lot of games IMO.

I think Allen was a great hire. The defense was good and that will always keep you in games. He develops an offense and IU could be dangerous

1 hour ago, Dalton26 said:

“I don’t speak to the rumor mill or anything else, but I’ve made it pretty clear I’m going to be here,” the Celtics coach told reporters. “I’ve been asked about that quite a bit and my answer will be the same — I’m going to be here until the Celtics decide they want to move in another direction.”

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I doubt we'd get Stevens, although if I could wave a magic wand that's who it'd be, but that sounds a lot like when Saban said he would not be the Alabama football coach before becoming the Alabama football coach.

I'd make a godfather offer to make him turn it down, but I'd be more than happy with Donovan.

rest of family leaving soon for the evening to see a movie-leaving ole Dad at home... gonna eat, continue reading/posting; watching NCAA hoops and most importantly; begin drinking Bombay and tonics...so forgive me ahead of time of what's to come on here..:92:

Mine is doing the same, great timing for a movie like beauty and the beast to come out

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think the only one saying 100% is that BTownInsider guy.  The others it seems they think he's right, but admit things could change.

It's just a matter of time. Donovan is gonna be the next coach and IU will once again be elite

;)

Terry Hutchens article from The Anderson Herald-Bulletin.  I found it mildly interesting that from the small sample he talked to that there wasn't an overwhelming clamor that it be an IU guy.

BLOOMINGTON -- If there’s one thing that is certain about the vacant Indiana basketball job, it’s that everyone has their favorite as to who IU athletic director Fred Glass should hire.

It has been less than 48 hours since Tom Crean was fired after nine seasons with the Hoosiers, and social media is ablaze with opinion.

UCLA’s Steve Alford is a name that is picking up a lot of early steam. Billy Donovan is another one. Brad Stevens is a name that people want to throw around until he has completely eliminated himself from the conversation.

Todd Meier has an opinion, but in some ways it’s a predictable one. Meier, along with Alford, was one of three seniors (Daryl Thomas was the other) on the 1987 IU national championship team. He has stayed friends with Alford over the years and talks with him frequently.

“I certainly would think Steve would be our leading candidate based on his ties and his recent success,’’ Meier said. “But then again I’m a little bit biased there, too. The one reason I think he would come back is just because Indiana is home. I’m sure it would be a tough call, but I think anyone that knows Steve knows how important the IU job has always been in his mind.’’

Meier believes Alford could be the candidate who could help close the state’s recruiting borders as well as play a style of basketball that Indiana fans would enjoy again.

“He would tie the past to the present,’’ Meier said. “I thought Coach Crean did a really nice job of bridging that gap but having a guy like Steve, who knows the tradition and has the ties to Indiana, would be even bigger. His style of basketball is fun to watch especially when he gets players like he has now. I think he fits the modern style, the evolving style of basketball, but he still fits the Indiana heritage in feel.’’

Todd Leary played basketball at Indiana from 1990-94. He actually doesn’t think a former Indiana guy would necessarily be more apt to seal the borders. He believes it’s more important to have a big name who is known as a solid program person.

“I just don’t think a former player is going to pick up state of Indiana recruits any better than a good, solid hire would do,’’ Leary said. “I know with my kids, the name Steve Alford is like Jimmy Rayl was to me when I was a player. I mean I heard how great he was (at Indiana) but I never saw him play. My kids are in high school, and they know about Steve Alford because we’ve talked about him, but they don’t really know that much about him. I just don’t know if any player is really going to draw anyone in more than just a solid hire.’’

In several conversations with former Indiana players Friday, there was a common theme regarding who will be the next Indiana coach: Keep it in the family. Or at the very least, make sure you hire someone who will be able keep Indiana high school players within the state’s boundaries.

“I don’t know if you have to have an Indiana guy, but whoever that next coach is he has to own the state,’’ said Pat Graham, Indiana’s Mr. Basketball in 1989 who played for the Hoosiers from 1989-94. “I think a great example is the (Bryant) McIntosh kid at Northwestern. It’s like my dad said, he doesn’t know if guys like myself, Todd Leary, Chris Reynolds, Jamaal Meeks, and Matt Nover would have been recruited by Indiana coaches here of late.

“You’ve got to go out and get that hard-nosed kid from the state. And there’s just no way a kid like McIntosh should be playing anywhere but Indiana.’’

Jarrad Odle, who played at Indiana from 1999-2002, said what is most important is getting a coach that is entrenched in Indiana high school basketball.

“I guess I’m not too concerned with it actually being an IU guy that had played there, but it has to be someone who secures the borders, and I want someone who is absolutely passionate about the history and traditions of Indiana basketball,’’ Odle said.

While Alford was a name that several former players mentioned, another one that came up a lot was Dane Fife, the former head coach at IPFW who has now been a long-time assistant coach at Michigan State. While he doesn’t have the same head coaching experience as someone like Alford, Fife is a good up-and-coming name.

“Dane is one of the hardest working people I have ever been around,’’ Odle said. “He didn’t sleep as a player. He doesn’t sleep as a coach. He spends all of his waking hours in the gym watching guys play. He is a true grinder when it comes to recruiting. He has a very good connection already with a lot of Indiana high school coaches and a positive relationship with those guys.

“I think that would put him a step ahead of being able to recruit the state really hard. He already does that for Michigan State. I think Dane will get a fair shot at it. I think he will rally some support around him and try to get Glass to give him a fair shot. I think that’s all Dane wants, and if they decide to go with someone with a little more head coaching experience I think Dane will understand that.’’

Greg Graham, a former first-round NBA draft pick who played at IU from 1990-93, was impressed when Glass said in his press conference Thursday he would interview any former IU player or alumnus that submitted an application for the job.

Graham said that hasn’t always been the case at Indiana in previous hires when Rick Greenspan was the athletic director.

“Once Mike Davis was gone, I really thought it was time for it to be an Indiana guy that was the IU coach,’’ Greg Graham said. “But being an alumnus and a former player I can tell you I also heard that the administration at that time wanted to be so far removed from the Coach Knight era that those former players that did apply or wanted to apply didn’t get that opportunity.’’

Graham said the most important reality with the job is that whoever gets it, Indiana has to get it right. And he echoed others who said the next coach has to be someone who is close to high school coaches in the state of Indiana.

“You need a person that is able to come in and give respect to those high school coaches who want their high school athletes to succeed,’’ said Graham, a former Indiana high school coach at Warren Central and currently a high school coach in Rhode Island. “Kids today need a reason to want to stay in the state, but at the same time I think they would like to stay close to home. You have to have a coach who wants to bring them back and give some blue-chip kids an opportunity. Because we’ve got some outstanding basketball players in the state of Indiana.

“It’s hindsight to say what if these kids had gone to Indiana or Purdue or Notre Dame, but these kids are leaving Indiana for a reason. But Indiana needs Indiana kids to become a national power again.’’

Leary said the most important thing in hiring a new coach is the product IU puts out on the floor.

“I think what Indiana fans get to watch and root for is the most important thing,’’ Leary said. “I think it needs to be a combination of what was there when Bob Knight was there. That would be guys who are skilled and fundamentally sound added with today’s basketball player that has more athletic ability and is a little more exciting and a little more fast paced.

“I think this next hire needs to be more like a Brad Stevens and somebody who makes it about the program. The reason I like Brad Stevens is that he doesn’t make it about him. It’s not about him. That’s what I like about (Chris) Holtmann, and that’s where I think he throws his name into the hat. When you hear him talk, it’s always about the Butler way, and the Butler system. Indiana needs a coach that is all about Indiana.’’

Pat Graham said he just doesn’t want any surprises this time when it comes to who Indiana hires as a head coach.

“I hope it’s not a (Kelvin) Sampson deal,’’ Graham said. “I remember when he was hired. When his name came up, no one had even spoken about it. I don’t think this one will be that way. I think the timing will make for Indiana being able to get a really good candidate.’’

This is my favorite line: "“I just don’t think a former player is going to pick up state of Indiana recruits any better than a good, solid hire would do,’’ Leary said."

He's right. Being an "Indiana" guy won't mean much for recruiting. Being a coach that has been relevant in the past decade matters for recruiting. Being a winner matters for recruiting.

Sure, it may help convince some moms and dads. They have "Hoosier values" and can connect over that. Ultimately, the kid has to be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

All 3 of them are hearing the same thing now. But until its a signed deal anything could change.

Sent from my SM-G935V using BtownBanners mobile app

Meant to post this earlier, but the discussion about Donovan's fit at Indiana was maybe the first time I've heard Florida and East Coast lumped together. Does anyone else ever associate Florida with the East Coast? I guess I've always thought of Big East and ACC basketball when thinking about that part of the country. 

He's from the east coast,Jersey I think.Played at Providence for Pitino.Thats pretty east coast but yeah,Florida not so much.Hes a good coach and Im pretty sure all the midwest guys know that.Mute point in my book.

I am standing by the Janitor sorry guys. It is amazing one minute were all stalking him now we dont even care what he says lol. Whether he lost some sources or not. We dont say anything about none of us having sources when we suggest we heard this or that. We pick and choose what we want to believe and that should be all there is to it.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app