Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

21 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Can we complete the trifecta..? Not hiring Alford, taking Schilling from him, and then poaching Wilkes?

I know, I know we don't have scholarships available.

I heard that Schilling wasn't a major factor in his recruitment. And there are the rumblings about his interest in UCLA being tied to their UA contract.

Edited by ramadden13

A coach left. If he says his reason was going to UCLA was because of coach schilling then technically a coaching change has occurred. I will have to find it but there was a player earlier who got his release when an assistant coach got another job

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I guess but seems like an awful long shot

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Can we complete the trifecta..? Not hiring Alford, taking Schilling from him, and then poaching Wilkes?  

I know, I know we don't have scholarships available.

Late last week we reported hearing UCLA assistant basketball coach Ed Schilling was likely taking an assistant job at Indiana University.

On Sunday night, ESPN's Jeff Goodman reported that Schilling would indeed be part of Indiana's staff under new head coach Archie Miller.

It has yet to be formally announced by Indiana, so it is not an absolutely done deal, but we've confirmed with sources that Schilling moving to Indiana is almost a certainty.

Schilling has been at UCLA since 2013-2014, when he was hired by then-new head coach Steve Alford. He has earned a reputation as a good Xs-and-Os coach and well-liked by players and in recruiting circles.

The reasons for the move to Indiana with Miller are compelling: Schilling is originally from Indiana, so he and his wife, who is a former Indiana Miss Basketball, would be returning home; He's coached at an Indiana high school, Park Tudor, which has been a feeder program to IU, and Schilling should be able to help boost recruiting with his ties to the state; and he is apparently close with Archie Miller, reportedly being the best man at the wedding of Sean Miller, the Arizona coach who is the older brother of Archie Miller.

For UCLA, Schilling, 51, was the guy on Alford's staff that had the most input into actual basketball tactics and player development. He, however, didn't have that much impact on recruiting.

So it will be interesting to see how Alford chooses to replace Schilling. Will he want to find someone that emphasizes coaching and tactics or bring in a recruiter? Right now, on the UCLA staff is David Grace, who has most of the recruiting responsibilities, and Duane Broussard, whose role is greatly administrative and managerial.

Perspective from UCLA side of things. From their scout site. OF looks like no paywall is safe Lol

A coach left. If he says his reason was going to UCLA was because of coach schilling then technically a coaching change has occurred. I will have to find it but there was a player earlier who got his release when an assistant coach got another job

Coaching changes don't grant NLI releases automatically

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

42 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

If he doesn't go to UCLA he will have to sit out a whole year. No player has ever been granted a release because an assistant left. 

4 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

In this article it says it first started out asking because of the assistant leaving but that it actually was he made his decision too soon. So after talking with Coach Ollie he was released. 

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19046893/espn-100-pg-makai-ashton-langford-requests-release-uconn-commitment

So he asked for his release. Was it given? Do you think Alford & UCLA would grant Wilkes his release?

No I don't think Alford would. You said no player has ever been released due to an assistant leaving. I provided one. Yes he was granted his release and he has since committed to the team that finished 2nd in his recruitment Providence

In this article it says it first started out asking because of the assistant leaving but that it actually was he made his decision too soon. So after talking with Coach Ollie he was released. 
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19046893/espn-100-pg-makai-ashton-langford-requests-release-uconn-commitment
and he was granted a release from the school when there wasn't a head coaching change.

So he asked for his release. Was it given? Do you think Alford & UCLA would grant Wilkes his release?

Hey you have some very good/informative posts, but we can't see a lot of them on the app because you use the and sign instead of typing it out. It's an annoying glitch in the app software, but just a heads up.

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

Hey you have some very good/informative posts, but we can't see a lot of them on the app because you use the and sign instead of typing it out. It's an annoying glitch in the app software, but just a heads up.

Got it, didn't realize that and :-) will start typing it out from now on. Thank you for the heads up. 

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

Assistant coach leaving was main reason he left

OK even if that is correct, even though the ESPN article i quoted said it wasn't. Wilkes didn't go to UCLA for Schilling, he wasn't even the lead recruiter for him. That is why I said it was different situations. 

OK even if that is correct, even though the ESPN article i quoted said it wasn't. Wilkes didn't go to UCLA for Schilling, he wasn't even the lead recruiter for him. That is why I said it was different situations. 

Cool and I never said it was the reason he went to UCLA. Someone asked a question and I gave a hypothetical answer that IF the reason Wilkes went to UCLA was schilling he could get out of his LOI because of coaching change. He is not going anywhere IMO. But if he did he could say well at first I wanted out because of the coaching change like he UCONN guard but after thinking about it Ithought I would be playing with Leaf and Ball. The UCONN kid was granted his release so why can't I. Again he isn't going anywhere

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN  2m2 minutes ago
Indiana sophomore big man Thomas Bryant will declare for the NBA Draft, but will NOT hire an agent, source told ESPN.

Makes sense. Pretty much expected it to go this way.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners