Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

They play different games. I think Forrester could be very similar to Juwan his FR year... give us 8 mins us tough D and good rebounding, and able to hold his own in the pick and roll. 

To me nothing I saw in Forrester’s game says he can give us 8 min a game when I watched him. If he can, then that’s great. But even the speed of the high school game seemed fast every time watched him. Only 5 games. You can see the upside for sure, but I didn’t see instant contributor. Again if he can that is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think Smith is going to be pretty big for us this year. Repeating myself from a few weeks back but I'm salivating at a Junior and Senior Justin Smith. The stroke is too pure and he's way too strong already to not be a force at the 4 spot. A rotation of Morgan/Smith/Race has to contend with anything in the big ten.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BtownBanners mobile app

I think Smith is going to be pretty big for us this year. Repeating myself from a few weeks back but I'm salivating at a Junior and Senior Justin Smith. The stroke is too pure and he's way too strong already to not be a force at the 4 spot. A rotation of Morgan/Smith/Race has to contend with anything in the big ten.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BtownBanners mobile app

Me too. I think if we get Romeo, he is giving us around 10 ppg and hopefully 4 boards a game. That would be awesome.

Probably too early to tell, but I could see Forrester and/or Anderson redshirting this season depending on how the remaining two scholarships shake out.

I would love if we could redshirt someone from this class, but I don’t give that a high likelihood. Redshirting is so uncommon these days. There are way more avenues for a kid to get paid professionally than there were back when redshirting was possible, so delaying a year of marketing yourself doesn’t seem to be a popular first choice.

Example: I think we all would have thought OG was a good freshman year redshirt candidate. He ended up having some real great performances on a national stage that catapulted him into discussions about his draft potential next year. Too much to gain as a player even in limited minutes to redshirt, in my opinion.

Agree redshirting unlikely in this thirteen scholarship grad transfer era. It would be highly unusual for a healthy valuable contributor to stay 5 years.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

15 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Me too. I think if we get Romeo, he is giving us around 10 ppg and hopefully 4 boards a game. That would be awesome.

Absolutely. If he plays as much as I think he will (~22min/game) those numbers are conservative. Seemed like Justin had the right idea most of the time, but didn't finish often enough. I expect that to change in season 2. 

8 hours ago, Jam said:

Agree redshirting unlikely in this thirteen scholarship grad transfer era. It would be highly unusual for a healthy valuable contributor to stay 5 years.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/with-six-redshirt-players-villanova-basketball-is-more-plus-one-than-one-and-done/2017/12/19/6c1e7cdc-df76-11e7-89e8-edec16379010_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.50ee92ac07d5

3 minutes ago, Hoosiers96 said:

Not sure if it’s been posted anywhere but Trey Porter of Old Dominion hosted IU for an in-home visit on Sunday. CAM, Ostrom, and Schilling all in attendance. He plans to cut his list and make visits in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Sweet. Him and Romeo would make us stellar. And if Devonte had play up to his skill consistently we can make real noise

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

To me? Having Porter at the 5 would indicate that DeRon may need a redshirt year. 

It could also give us a starting five of:

1. Green
  2. Romeo
  3. Justin
  4. Juwan
  5. Porter

McBob, Hunter, Phinisee, Al D, Race ... A lot of depth. A lot of size. A lot of athleticism. A little short on outside shooting. That roster could absolutely contend with a serious March run.

But, I am merely Tuesday-daydreaming with this scenario.

I agree it could mean a redshirt for DeRon but even then I don’t think he can be a 25 minute a game guy for a season without injury. If you can pair him with size to split minutes that really helps. The roster you highlighted above would win a lot of games, and be great defensively. 

I agree it could mean a redshirt for DeRon but even then I don’t think he can be a 25 minute a game guy for a season without injury. If you can pair him with size to split minutes that really helps. The roster you highlighted above would win a lot of games, and be great defensively. 

This is where I am. Good kid it seems but the fit isn’t there. Why I prefer a different big.

26 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

To me? Having Porter at the 5 would indicate that DeRon may need a redshirt year. 

It could also give us a starting five of:

1. Green
  2. Romeo
  3. Justin
  4. Juwan
  5. Porter

McBob, Hunter, Phinisee, Al D, Race ... A lot of depth. A lot of size. A lot of athleticism. A little short on outside shooting. That roster could absolutely contend with a serious March run.

But, I am merely Tuesday-daydreaming with this scenario.

In the spirit of offseason Tuesday daydreaming: I love Smith, and I’m sure lineups like this will get some serious run. I’m in wait-and-see mode about whether he and Morgan can play the forward spots alongside a traditional five for long stretches, though.

They’ve both flashed the occasional range, but I worry a bit about floor spacing on offense and quickness on defense with this lineup.

I hope they make these concerns laughable. As I said in the Romeo thread, I think defense, shooting, and turnover avoidance are paramount for PGs playing alongside a high-usage 2 like Romeo (and Juwan, too); for front court players, add rebounding. McBob starting at the 3 maximizes those attributes and lets Smith’s deployment respond to the game situation: go small/big? Is Morgan/the 5 in foul trouble? Etc.

7 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

This is where I am. Good kid it seems but the fit isn’t there. Why I prefer a different big.

My fit concern is that Arch clearly wants everyone, bigs included, to hedge ballscreens hard, and I worry De’Ron, even when healthy, may not have the quickness to hedge and recover without creating seams in the defense.

Recall how Michigan gashed Purdue, specifically Haas, with high pick-and-roll. Despite being good interior defenders, the weakness is so crucial it weakens team defense.

Forrester may not be ready to contribute much as a freshman, but in many ways he seems closer to the ideal five in the long run for the scheme, assuming you have scoring elsewhere.