Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

30 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

PSU has a developing Watkins. Maryland has a developing Bruno. That's in conference. If we want to compete for the top few spots in the Big Ten and be a solid tourney team we need a big that can defend and rebound while allowing Morgan to play the 4.

pu, MSU, Mich, and O$U are all tourney teams from the Big Ten. What do they have in common?

I completely agree we need a better backcourt too. I believe Phinisee solves some of those problems. If Green can mature more that will help greatly. Add Romeo or a grad transfer and we'll have a solid backcourt.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Literally watching Nova vs Bama now... there's been 3 total post ups in this game lol

If this were the 80s I would agree with you. It's like the fullback position in football. 

51 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The mix of Davis, Thompson, and Morgan at the 5 is more than enough. Possibly Moore and Forrester for depth purposes. 

Like you said, we'll just have to disagree. I would like IU to have two legitimate Centers on the roster every year. There is never a time you'll say "man, I wish we didn't have such competent post play" Never. Not saying that the offense has to revolve around the post or that guard play isn't vital (we learned that painful lesson this year) just that Offense, Defense and rebounding all benefit from genuine big men.

Sure a 6'7" guy (Thompson, Morgan, Hartman, etc) CAN play down low, but it's not a recipe for winning at a high-level, IMO.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Literally watching Nova vs Bama now... there's been 3 total post ups in this game lol

If this were the 80s I would agree with you. It's like the fullback position in football. 

Completely agree. The largest pain point on this roster is shooting, scoring, length and athleticism from the perimeter/wing. We need shooters/scorers from the perimeter. Adding Taylor and Langford would make IU really good next year. We just need our bigs to defend pic and roll, rebound, be athletic, etc. 

I'm not sure that centers are really all that necessary in college basketball today. I mean, 6'5 Freddie McSwain pulled down 16 rebounds against MSU's big boys. We need tough, nasty guys down low, even if they're only 6'7 or 6'8. 

I'm not sure that centers are really all that necessary in college basketball today. I mean, 6'5 Freddie McSwain pulled down 16 rebounds against MSU's big boys. We need tough, nasty guys down low, even if they're only 6'7 or 6'8. 

Right...?... and who won that game?

And against Wisconsin, and Purdue and just about every team we played with good big men we lost

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

9 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

And against Wisconsin, and Purdue and just about every team we played with good big men we lost

Michigan State won the game, by three points, due in large part to Josh Newkirk going 0-6 and Rob Johnson going 2-15. Guard play was our problem this year. 

31 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I was thinking the same thing, the majority of teams he listed have really good big men now and will next season. We need impact bigs, period

Again.. Neither of those players can score by themselves. Neither post up. 

31 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

We beat ND and they have actual guys who post up, not the ones you mentioned. 

Nova was a top 3 team all year.. they have zero post presence. 

54 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Like you said, we'll just have to disagree. I would like IU to have two legitimate Centers on the roster every year. There is never a time you'll say "man, I wish we didn't have such competent post play" Never. Not saying that the offense has to revolve around the post or that guard play isn't vital (we learned that painful lesson this year) just that Offense, Defense and rebounding all benefit from genuine big men.

Sure a 6'7" guy (Thompson, Morgan, Hartman, etc) CAN play down low, but it's not a recipe for winning at a high-level, IMO.

But teams do win at a high level doing that. No teams have two legitimate centers on their team. Do you just mean two guys that are 6'10-6'11?

46 minutes ago, CrimsonCreamer said:

Ryan Welage is transferring from San Jose State. Junior averaged 18 ppg, shot 42% from 3. 6’9” 205 forward. From Greensburg, IN. Should be eligible immediately

Wow, very intriguing.  Wouldn't mind adding that kind of size and shooting ability to next year's team.

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

The thing that Coach Crean got right was the importance of the three point shot in today's game. He missed on defense and half court offense, but the game is not post oriented any more.

The thing that Coach Crean got right was the importance of the three point shot in today's game. He missed on defense and half court offense, but the game is not post oriented any more.

Well except that Noah Vonlee year. And I guess he recruited this years team. But, yeah usually his teams could hit the 3

We need a big that can defend with length, rebound, and be able to hit a little 15' jumper. Davis is a true 5 with slow feet that can't defend the perimeter. Forrester is probably the closest we have but it'll take a few years for him to be ready.

If we're relying on Morgan and Smith as our bigs we're in trouble.

10 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

We need a big that can defend with length, rebound, and be able to hit a little 15' jumper. Davis is a true 5 with slow feet that can't defend the perimeter. Forrester is probably the closest we have but it'll take a few years for him to be ready.

If we're relying on Morgan and Smith as our bigs we're in trouble.

Thompson? Davis can give us 20mins a game. If Moore transfers, then yeah I hope we grab a big man grad transfer.