Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

He has physical tools to be successful. So far that's it
He won't play next year with Smith, Davis, and Morgan in the fold. Plus who knows about Race. He would still need another year imo if he's willing to gut it out.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Clifton Moore is another in a long line of kids that fit "Tom Crean out thinks the room and searches for next diamond in the rough" mold.  If were capable of truly helping Indiana, even in the longer term, he'd have seen at least a decent number of minutes by now.    He is marginally better than Tim Priller.

9 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Clifton Moore is another in a long line of kids that fit "Tom Crean out thinks the room and searches for next diamond in the rough" mold.  If were capable of truly helping Indiana, even in the longer term, he'd have seen at least a decent number of minutes by now.    He is marginally better than Tim Priller.

In all fairness to Crean, he had an ability to find that kind of player. You don't always hit a home run when swinging for the fences. 

I'll agree that the good ones find a way to get on the court their freshman year though. 

7 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

In all fairness to Crean, he had an ability to find that kind of player. You don't always hit a home run when swinging for the fences. 

I'll agree that the good ones find a way to get on the court their freshman year though. 

I would argue he found one.   In 9 years.  And that kid was at DeMatha (not exactly hidden) with a better work ethic than most of the world.  

Lot of others wore jerseys and made contributions of one kind or another; but most flamed miserably.

1 minute ago, Old Friend said:

I would argue he found one.   In 9 years.  And that kid was at DeMatha (not exactly hidden) with a better work ethic than most of the world.  

Lot of others wore jerseys and made contributions of one kind or another; but most flamed miserably.

Juwan is one of those players, isn't he? OG, Sheehey, Hulls. Holt would have been one of those guys if he didn't screw up. Same with Devin Davis. 

He was able to find a few but he also provided himself a lot more opportunity. At one point he had given 5 more scholarships over a 5 year period than the next closest in the Big Ten. I would put Oladipo and OG is this category. They far exceeded their high school ranking.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I’m not a Crean fan and I’m glad he’s gone, but Mo Creek was better than his ranking and but for the devastating injury, would have probably been in the NBA, but CTC had too many recruiting misses and average coaching ability.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Juwan is one of those players, isn't he? OG, Sheehey, Hulls. Holt would have been one of those guys if he didn't screw up. Same with Devin Davis. 

Jordan Hulls was Mr. Basketball.   Come on...

OG had a terrific AAU season between junior and senior year.  He was a 4* recruit in some services.  So was Morgan.  Sheehey was nobody he couldn't have found within 2 hours of Bloomington.   Devin Davis was also highly rated.   None of the players on your list other than maybe Anunoby have out-performed their ranking.  Oladipo was a 3^ who became the college basketball player of the year and #2 draft pick.  

Can't agree with any "if's."   If my aunt had a sack, she'd be my uncle.   

18 hours ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

No one panic, not my intended purpose, but I made a tweet about Al having a bright future, but you can tell he's raw at times. I communicate with Southern Stampede and don't want this taken out of context. He deleted the tweet shortly after so he knew it wasn't a smart idea. We talked a bit and I don't have a sense if Al isn't happy, but wanted to share in case anyone else has heard anything. This could just be him looking out for Al and thinking he deserves more time who knows. Anyone have any further input?

Screenshot_20180221-000350.png

Sounds to me like just one man's opinion. Wouldn't assign any more importance to it than that.

I'm not going to bash Moore, but I don't think we are going to see anymore kids at IU who still need to "learn the game" after they get here as a scholarship player. Moore is a long way from the guys that Coach Miller is recruiting for the frontcourt. Maybe he can turn himself into one of those guys but, in the limited time I saw him play, I have a hard time visualizing it.

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

OG had a terrific AAU season between junior and senior year.  He was a 4* recruit in some services.  So was Morgan.  Sheehey was nobody he couldn't have found within 2 hours of Bloomington.   Devin Davis was also highly rated.   None of the players on your list other than maybe Anunoby have out-performed their ranking.  Oladipo was a 3^ who became the college basketball player of the year and #2 draft pick.  

The point is all those players were ranked similar to Moore coming out of high school. Some were hits, some were misses. Moore appears to be a miss after his first season.

I know you are "Go Colts" and have a reputation to uphold though so I won't hold it against you.

You got it. Typical crean diamond in the ruff like april.

He found maybe two and had like ten busts. Those aren't great numbers.

Huh. All were top 150 players. Morgan was ranked 109.

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

I will pick out a problem with the bolded portion. Find me an instate replacement for Sheehey in the 2010 class within 2 hours of Bloomington. I don't see one.

I don't know what your definition of "highly rated" is. Devin Davis #155 on 247, about the same as Moore. Davis found a way to get on the floor his freshman year. Moore obviously didn't.