Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

I can't agree with that statement in regards to OG.  But when he saw his draft potential remain high in spite of the injury he's making the smart move by taking the money and running.  Don't like it, but it's the smart move for OG.  As for TB, I think his decision to leave was sealed when FG terminated FCTC.  Clearly he always had pro dreams but barring the termination, I believe he would have stuck around for another season and would have played hard for FCTC.  JBJ had checked out of IU after his freshman season because he always saw himself as a one and one and in reality maybe he really never 'checked in'.  Clearly IU was never the #1 focus for JBJ.

I agree with this. Well stated OF.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

If we work through the post we will be fine. We have guys in the gym making that jump as we speak. We just don't have a player going to make contested 3's. Hopefully we don't have to anymore. I actually like our team and it's potential. It is just going to have to start at the defensive end.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Agree with this. It's amazing how good shooters turn into great shooters when they're wide open after a pass from the post. Davis has the potential to be extremely difficult to guard in the post. I can see Morgan and Hartman both being difficult matchups too.

Everything I've seen including the actions this off season indicate getting to the league has always been the #1 goal, with winning games being a byproduct.

Instead of the vice versa. Winning games begetting NBA draft opportunities.

I know it's hard to differentiate but it's how I feel. As soon as our players saw themselves on Mock draft boards it was over. BB4IU alluded to this before as well.

This is how I feel as well. Those guys just couldn't wait until the season concluded. And that becomes much more apparent now with the departures of said players

Losing Blackmon sucks, but we'll be okay. I see our team being a scrappy bunch that plays with a chip on their shoulder.

De'ron has the chance to be a star next year and by staying in Bloomington all summer it looks like he's serious about reaching that level. Devonté has that swagger that you need from your point guard and I think Archie is really going to like him.

I'm excited to watch them play next year. We lost a lot of offensive firepower, but we ended up with an experienced team that will give 100% and play all season long like they have something to prove. I think Archie will really get them to feed off that underdog label. 

59 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Agree with this. It's amazing how good shooters turn into great shooters when they're wide open after a pass from the post. Davis has the potential to be extremely difficult to guard in the post. I can see Morgan and Hartman both being difficult matchups too.

Yep and the inverse is also true.  It's amazing how good shooters can turn into bad shooters when they're no longer wide open after a pass from the post.

You'll see it next year at Purdue when Swanigan is no longer there to kick it out to Mathias, Cline, Thompson, etc for a wide open 3.  I'm sure some of those guys really did improve as shooters, but a huge reason why their numbers went up was because Swanigan was double-teamed, leaving a perimeter guy open.

Everything I've seen including the actions this off season indicate getting to the league has always been the #1 goal, with winning games being a byproduct.

Instead of the vice versa. Winning games begetting NBA draft opportunities.

I know it's hard to differentiate but it's how I feel. As soon as our players saw themselves on Mock draft boards it was over. BB4IU alluded to this before as well.

I don't buy it. I feel like Bryant desperately wanted to win. Same with OG and Blackmon. The only one who seemed to check out was Rojo imo

34 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Now, it feels less like a "collection of talent" and more like a team.

Less guys worried about the NBA and more out to prove themselves. I think that's the type of team Archie excels with. I'm excited for the upcoming year

I don't mean to get on "Brass Cannon" at all as I like him as a poster but he still has not updated the chart in his original post to reflect Bryant and JBJ's departure. Understandable with JBJ since it happened this morning but I would of thought Bryant would be updated in the chart by now.

If we work through the post we will be fine. We have guys in the gym making that jump as we speak. We just don't have a player going to make contested 3's. Hopefully we don't have to anymore. I actually like our team and it's potential. It is just going to have to start at the defensive end.

This all day long. I don't see the gloom and Doom next yr. Will we be top 4? Probably not. But I think better than our finish this yr.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

I wish these guys well, I genuinely do, but it really explains in part, why our season was such a disaster.

I think all 3 have a shot at the NBA if things go bounce their way. I could see all 3 flame out too. Neither would surprise me. All 3 easily have the potential to play professionally even if it's not the NBA.

Bottom line, winning games at IU wasn't the #1 focus of our best guys.

You got it.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I believe Blackmon was content to get out of IU hell or high water even if it means playing in Europe or D-league (I'm not criticizing him just making an observation). In end we get exact same roster Crean would of had in Archie's first year.

All scholarships now accounted for next year and days of roster crunches, over signings and allegedly forcing people out are gone for good!

cleardot.gif
Kind of unrelated to this thread but Zeller's excellent character clearly shows again to come back to IU and finish degree and graduate. Not many people in Zeller's position do that given his relative NBA success and shows what a high class individual he is and how much he was raised right and values his education.

Again shows between him, Hulls, Oladipo, Watford and Elston how strong leadership was on that team and why it was so successful. Than it all got away from Crean and why he is gone now.