Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

I don't disagree. I've thought all along that JBJ and TB likely would leave. And I think Archie had some indication of that. Otherwise, he could've just let any of the three signees out of their LOIs. I don't think he wants to get his IU career started by telling two players they'd have to give up their scholarships, so he had to have a really, really good idea of what would happen. As far as losing stars -- those stars got us to 18-16, 7-11 last season. So I say let's get the roster set, and let's get going on 2017-18. Archie's still got some good material to work with and almost certainly can do better than 18-16 and 7-11.

I'm not sold on Archie knowing that JBJ and TB were gone when he reached out to the recruits. I think it's more likely that he didn't want to go 0fer on his first incoming class while at IU. That could cause headaches down the road. I think JBJ is gone, with promises to momma Blackmon. TB is difficult to gauge. He seems to really enjoy college and his teammates. I could see him coming back for his junior year. If that happens it will be interesting to see who comes off scholarship.

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

I don't disagree. I've thought all along that JBJ and TB likely would leave. And I think Archie had some indication of that. Otherwise, he could've just let any of the three signees out of their LOIs. I don't think he wants to get his IU career started by telling two players they'd have to give up their scholarships, so he had to have a really, really good idea of what would happen. As far as losing stars -- those stars got us to 18-16, 7-11 last season. So I say let's get the roster set, and let's get going on 2017-18. Archie's still got some good material to work with and almost certainly can do better than 18-16 and 7-11.

I think JBJ really likes Archie & so does his family. There have been rumors of him staying & maybe his brother Veejay walking on. It's odd that Curtis Jones was not mentioned at all today. 

4 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

or McSwain.

Yes you are correct. He just seems to fly under the radar all the time but I do know for sure there was talk towards the end of the season about Jones leaving & I noticed we are recruiting a lot of two guards.

I'm starting to think TB is gone and James is back, the opposite of what I expected a few weeks ago. 

Jbj staying and his brother walking on is intriguing and makes sense to me. If Vijay still wants to play college basketball this would be a great opportunity for him. It'd be a chance for them to play together one more time. 

I really liked the comment about having a post presence.  I think Davis is going to give us that (much moreso than Bryant) - I just hope he can handle more minutes and stay out of foul trouble.  I look forward to recruiting (successfully) another difference maker in the middle in 2018/2019.

17 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

In the collection of Bozich tweets Stuhoo provided there's specific mention of JBJ and Johnson but nothing regarding TB.  Is that an unintended (or maybe intended) subtle message that JBJ and Johnson are both returning and TB is gone?

In the entire article on ITH there is no mention of TB. It's notable that there's no mention of Curtis, but TB is such a major player that the lack of mention of him, to me is far, far more notable.

On the other hand, if our front line is: DeRon, Juwan, Collin, Freddie, Justin, Clifton, MSB, and Zach, we are more than well covered.

A healthy Juwan and an in-shape DeRon will be big-time pieces, Collin will be Collin, and Justin and Freddie should be key defensive pieces from the get-go this year.

In the entire article on ITH there is no mention of TB. It's notable that there's no mention of Curtis, but TB is such a major player that the lack of mention of him, to me is far, far more notable.
On the other hand, if our front line is: DeRon, Juwan, Collin, Freddie, Justin, Clifton, MSB, and Zach, we are more than well covered.
A healthy Juwan and an in-shape DeRon will be big-time pieces, Collin will be Collin, and Justin and Freddie should be key defensive pieces from the get-go this year.

I like the potential of that front line but don't like the depth of anyone over 6-6. De'Ron will play 28-30 minutes tops, without foul trouble. Where do we get the other 10-12 minutes and/or foul trouble minutes from? Moore has the height and length but lacks muscle. Collin and Juwan have shown the willingness to defend the post but neither have great height or overwhelming length. Freddie can mix it up with strength and athleticism but not sure he can stop anyone down there. It will be interesting to see.

Even without TB or JBJ the two deep is solid and should be mid pack if the B1G with a chance for the NCAAT.

Green/Newkirk
Johnson/Jones
Hartman/Smith
Morgan/McSwain
Davis/... (Moore?)

· Miller isn’t anticipating that the scholarship situation – the Hoosiers are currently oversigned – being a major problem. “We’ll sort it out. We inherited it and we’ll fix it.”
I love he didn't say it will work itself out he said we will sort it out and we will fix it

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

21 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I like the potential of that front line but don't like the depth of anyone over 6-6. 

I'll try to pump a little sunshine for you:

1. Let's compare apples to apples and go off of listed heights (even if they're not always accurate) because other schools do the same thing: Behind DeRon (6'10") we have Clifton (6'10"), Juwan (6'7"), Collin (6'7"), Justin (6'7"), and MSB (6'9")
  2. The height we have is plenty big enough to guard all backup centers and almost all starters. Period. For the teams with true bigs in the middle (like Haas) if DeRon was in foul trouble, it is usually not a huge deal because bigs that size usually play only 20-25 minutes per game. 
  3. Haap? He's really tough to guard with DeRon, Juwan, or anyone else. When you're up against the top big in the conference, it's time to double-team and collapse on him no matter who is the primary defender.
  4. There's a primary defensive reason we hired Archie; the D!ck Bennett 'pack-line' style of defense that CAM favors is very, very good at denying inside touches. We darn well better be improved in our help defense awareness. It is what Archie's Dayton teams were good at, and they often accomplished this without much height at all.

32 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I wouldn't be too worried about CuJo. He's been featured in the practice videos and he was out with the team all weekend for Little 5. And he was featured in the team picture at Showalter. 

· Miller isn’t anticipating that the scholarship situation – the Hoosiers are currently oversigned – being a major problem. “We’ll sort it out. We inherited it and we’ll fix it.”
I love he didn't say it will work itself out he said we will sort it out and we will fix it

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Idk if this is a direct quote, but Bozich tweeted this earlier:

Miller said he doesn't anticipate Indiana's scholarship situation being a big challenge. Expects situation to sort itself out. #iubb