Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

1 minute ago, goonaha said:

Reading the replies to the IU Athletics tweet announcing this and I want to pull my hair out. So many casual fans that have no idea how the draft process works and just ripping their own players. Some fans.

Yup. It's ridiculous. Some people shouldn't be allowed a social media handle

The thing with Bryant is that it only takes one strong workout. If he goes and works out for some team in the late teens or 20's and on that paticular day he just goes off shooting in drills, as a 6'10" guy that can shoot he could secure a 1st round promise. 

Not a chance.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Just now, recker222000 said:

True but if one workout is all a team looks at then they arent doing their due dilligence imo.

While one workout can certainly make a GM fall in love with a guy, which has happened, there's more behind it. They may look at Bryant's efficiency as a freshmen and then watch the tape from last year and come to the conclusion that he was put in a bad position last season, and is actually under-valued in this years draft. Teams have algorithm's they use to project players future based on their age, college production, advanced analytics, etc. 

They may fall in love with a great workout and then use the analytics and tape to draw a conclusion that their system would hide/fix/whatever Bryant's areas of need. 

While one workout can certainly make a GM fall in love with a guy, which has happened, there's more behind it. They may look at Bryant's efficiency as a freshmen and then watch the tape from last year and come to the conclusion that he was put in a bad position last season, and is actually under-valued in this years draft. Teams have algorithm's they use to project players future based on their age, college production, advanced analytics, etc. 
They may fall in love with a great workout and then use the analytics and tape to draw a conclusion that their system would hide/fix/whatever Bryant's areas of need. 

I just dont see how bryant is an nba post player and he is way to slow and unathletic to play outside.

8 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

OG declaring is obvious. Bryant declaring makes sense. JBJ makes little sense but it was going to happen. Robert Johnson declaring doesn't make any sense period.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It all makes perfect sense. Yes, we may think they are not ready for the league but the whole point of this is to get feedback. Feedback should always be welcomed, especially from GM's, scouts, front offices, coaches etc.

32 minutes ago, goonaha said:

Reading the replies to the IU Athletics tweet announcing this and I want to pull my hair out. So many casual fans that have no idea how the draft process works and just ripping their own players. Some fans.

Update: Facebook is way way way worse. 

I doubt even Rojo thinks that he's ready for the NBA, but there's no harm in declaring, getting feedback on what to improve on, and getting his name out there among NBA scouts. 

So now how long do we have to wait to hear if they are coming back. Heck I guess maybe my 9 year old should declare without an agent. He could get some good feedback.

7 minutes ago, recker222000 said:

I just dont see how bryant is an nba post player and he is way to slow and unathletic to play outside.

Hardly anyone plays in the post anymore though. Again, I'm not predicting this to happen, just saying it could. Watch the Warriors, there are games where James Michael MacAdoo is their 5. Bryant could certainly do that in a similar system if he develops (not from day 1), and it only takes one GM to think he can develop that.

They do happen. I remember being at Tony Allen's draft workout in 2004 (I think) with the Celtics. He was considered a high 2nd round guy, and some had him in the late first. He came to Boston in a workout with a few guards, one of who was projected much higher (can't remember who, but we also had a late lottery pick). At the workout the guards the did a 1-on-1 drill where they had to defend each other from the baseline to half-court and try not to let the dribbler get by them. Well, Allen completely shut this other guard down. The guy couldn't get to half-court no matter how many times they went. You could see Ainge watching this and just knew we were taking him at 23 or 24 (can't remember what pick it was, we took Allen and Delonte West back-to-back)
I bring it up because I could see Bryant going nuts shooting in a workout, and we know how NBA guys fall in love with 6'10" guys that can shoot. 

So is that promise something they can and do go back on? Say the Celtics like him at 27 or wherever they end up in this draft, work him out, and fall in love and promise to take him there, but they're the only team doing that. He falls out of the 1st and into obscurity when he was promised a guaranteed contract. Is this a thing too?