Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

I want Smith and Moore. Both will be awesome pieces for the future. Rivals said Moore could make a top 50ish type jump a month or so ago, but there were concerns about the level of competition. If we went into 2018-2019 year with Davis( if he don't go pro), a senior Juwan, a great potential lead guard in DG, CuJo who has a h igh ceiling and add Smith and Moore to that mix and the 18 class just needs another guard or 2 and a wing and a big and it could be a big year.

I know some don't want Creaning to happen, but Gelon may not have a spot after this year if he doesn't show Archie something.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

No but there was an article where a coach from Villanova asked him not to sign in he early period

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That is true but that's not an offer and that only means that they wanted a longer period of time to evaluate the kid.

Yep all while espn is more worried about a political agenda.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

MSESPN. Why? What ever happened to the E-ntertainment S-ports Programming Network? These days, unfortunately, it is like watching MSESPN. I don't get it. I'm very close to pulling the plug.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I think Smith is the most important recruit for 2017.  Puts up great numbers at high level Illinois basketball, which is nice because he's a Midwest kid from B1G country.  One thing we missed this past season was an athletic, slashing wing like Troy Williams, and I never thought I'd say how much we missed Troy Williams, but his baseline cuts to the basket were instant offense.

He would be a great, great addition to our roster for 3-4 years.

Oh, and Mad Mushroom was the best pizza in Bloomington from what I recall.  Aver's a close second.

I get that some on here love loyalty and honoring commitments to kids/programs, but all this talk about not wanting more kids because we would have to move on from one of ours is crazy. It is okay for all these kids to transfer or think about transferring, but Archie shouldn't be allowed to go get better players?

Yes, Archie will be a 3.5 million dollar guy, but you know how he keeps that kinda money coming in or to get even more? To be good. You could maybe make an argument if these guys were his, but their not. What it comes down to is, it is his job to make us good and compete at a high level. With high expectations comes change and sometimes unwanted.

I get it most of us like these kids and don't want them thrown to the curb, but if they have the option to transfer and leave for the NBA, then Archie should be able to go get better talent if he can. When you offer a scholarship to a kid, at the time you need him and sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. Things change every single year though and these kids know the game. If you don't perform, your chances of staying at an elite level program like IU aren't very high.

Would it be sad to see Grant Gelon or Tim Priller get "Creaned"? Absolutely!! Is it fair? Not really, but kinda at the same time. For kids like those two, regardless of how long they are here, they are probably having the best years of their lives. If they can earn a scholarship at IU then there is at least one school out there that would take them in.

With all that said, if Tremont Waters or some 5 star wanted to be at IU, you make room however you have to. I hated Crean throwing offers out non stop, but him constantly recruiting was never a negative for me of him. He always wanted to make sure he had the best roster he could have and also have a back up if these kids just decide to transfer or leave for the NBA.

2 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

I get that some on here love loyalty and honoring commitments to kids/programs, but all this talk about not wanting more kids because we would have to move on from one of ours is crazy. It is okay for all these kids to transfer or think about transferring, but Archie shouldn't be allowed to go get better players?

Yes, Archie will be a 3.5 million dollar guy, but you know how he keeps that kinda money coming in or to get even more? To be good. You could maybe make an argument if these guys were his, but their not. What it comes down to is, it is his job to make us good and compete at a high level. With high expectations comes change and sometimes unwanted.

I get it most of us like these kids and don't want them thrown to the curb, but if they have the option to transfer and leave for the NBA, then Archie should be able to go get better talent if he can. When you offer a scholarship to a kid, at the time you need him and sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. Things change every single year though and these kids know the game. If you don't perform, your chances of staying at an elite level program like IU aren't very high.

Would it be sad to see Grant Gelon or Tim Priller get "Creaned"? Absolutely!! Is it fair? Not really, but kinda at the same time. For kids like those two, regardless of how long they are here, they are probably having the best years of their lives. If they can earn a scholarship at IU then there is at least one school out there that would take them in.

With all that said, if Tremont Waters or some 5 star wanted to be at IU, you make room however you have to. I hated Crean throwing offers out non stop, but him constantly recruiting was never a negative for me of him. He always wanted to make sure he had the best roster he could have and also have a back up if these kids just decide to transfer or leave for the NBA.

Pretty much yep, thats how it works.  IU made a commitment to these kids, and these kids get punished when they want to transfer.

1 minute ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

I think part of this problem is Glass making the scholarships 4 years guaranteed in his Student-Athlete Bill of Rights.

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I don't think Archie is going to come in and try rebuilding relationships with high school coaches by immediately Creaning guys. It's just a bad look imo.

I agree. Especially when one of the athlete's at the top of the creaning list is an Indiana kid.

MSESPN. Why? What ever happened to the E-ntertainment S-ports Programming Network? These days, unfortunately, it is like watching MSESPN. I don't get it. I'm very close to pulling the plug.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Much rather that than FOXESPN. That would be a channel that made up scores based on who they wanted to win the game, rather than what the scoreboard showed.

No! Don't look at the scoreboard! We'll tell you about it!

I think part of this problem is Glass making the scholarships 4 years guaranteed in his Student-Athlete Bill of Rights.

He needs to change that asap then. I agree it isn't the best option, but it happens EVERYWHERE. If we owe these kids 4 years, then in return it should make them owe us 4 years. I know that isn't likely, but it puts us at a disadvantage. It gives them all the power too. Plus if we do move on it makes the situation a lot harder than it needs to be.