Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

Listen I like Archie as a coach too and everything, but Blackmon won't become some great defender under him. Best case scenario he'll be able to hide him relatively well but that's it. The bottom line is Blackmon doesn't have great instincts or lateral quickness defensively, those are two things guys tend to naturally have, not something a coach teaches you.

The NBA definitely won't put a first rounder into a below average athlete (by NBA standards) with questionable lateral movement ability who has a history of knee injuries who also happens to be pretty one dimensional offensively... Sorry to sound harsh, but Blackmon just isn't a first rounder, doesn't mean he can't have success but he has very real limitations that good coaching can't fix in a year.

24 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Just remember who said he's gonna be a 1st rounder. Blackmon is gonna excel under Archie. I'm sure he knows this and he will come back

Would love for you to be right, but I'm not seeing it. Put it this way, would you want your favorite NBA team to draft JBJ in the first round? I sure wouldn't.

8 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Would love for you to be right, but I'm not seeing it. Put it this way, would you want your favorite NBA team to draft JBJ in the first round? I sure wouldn't.

On the first three years? Absolutely not. But Blackmon has a chance to be amazing his senior season. We'll see if he wants to be that good

19 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

On the first three years? Absolutely not. But Blackmon has a chance to be amazing his senior season. We'll see if he wants to be that good

Blackmon will never be amazing unless he decides - as you say - to make someone on his team better or play defense even a little bit.  He may be an amazing AAU player, but not an amazing BIG player.  

I don't think JBJ will even get a cup of coffee with the Association. As far as OG, TB and Morgan .......all digressed this year compared to last with Morgan getting better toward the end of the season. There needs to be an autopsy on what the issues were with last years' team. You would REALLY have to put in some serious effort to be that bad with the talent we had. I hope they all come back and get some really good coaching from Coach Miller and his staff.
My $.02.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

23 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Good? Maybe. Solid? Perhaps. Amazing? Not happening. Period.

2 hours ago, IUfan_Charlie said:

I like Blackmon more than just about anyone on this site and there is a zero percent chance of him going in the first round. 

Yeah...... senior, undersized two guard with no point guard skills whatsoever, 3 years of evidence he can't even play adequate defense at the college level, not even the best at creating his own shot when he is being focused in on. I don't think anyone could make an argument for him being a first round pick

Edit: I like JBJ, but people need to be realistic on expectations for him at the next level

Old Fart, like I said when Crean was fired, there's hope once again. I hardly ever said anything positive about the team with Crean at the helm. But now since IU has Archie, not only potential through the roof but hope. There is hope to actually see fundamental basketball once again. There is hope to finally be back in the national spotlight. And there is hope to once again compete for conference and national championships every single year. IU has been down for a long time but has never been forgotten. This is an elite program and it will show once again

1 hour ago, Hoosier Guy said:

If he honestly wanted to be "that good" he would have devoted hours and hours to learning to play defense. A year and a half ago, Dakich said Blackmon "couldn't guard a chair." Did that fire him up and make him work his butt off to be a great defender the next season? Obviously not, so my conclusion is the guy doesn't care. Watch video of any IU game in which he played (possibly the B1G Tournament game vs. Iowa excepted) and follow Blackmon. You'll see he gets beat more often than anyone else and he makes more silly turnovers from just not paying attention to what he's doing than anyone else.

There is a difference between a radio talk show host and the actual coach saying that. Since Crean never cared about defense, we weren't gonna hear it from him. Coach had said that and I bet it's a different story. I've watched every IU game. Blackmon just didn't care about defense and neither did the rest of the team. That's gonna change next season. Sometimes all it takes is a new face to get you motivated. Anyway, I'm done talking about this but we'll see next season. I'm more focused on the national championship game tonight than next season. And post-Wrestlemania RAW

9 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

There is a difference between a radio talk show host and the actual coach saying that. Since Crean never cared about defense, we weren't gonna hear it from him. Coach had said that and I bet it's a different story. I've watched every IU game. Blackmon just didn't care about defense and neither did the rest of the team. That's gonna change next season. Sometimes all it takes is a new face to get you motivated. Anyway, I'm done talking about this but we'll see next season. I'm more focused on the national championship game tonight than next season. And post-Wrestlemania RAW

First, let me say I hope you're right.

But after JBJ got hurt, we played pretty darn good defense (even with Crean as coach) in the B1G in 2016 with Blackmon out. I don't wish the kid any failures, but I don't think he cares. I think he's a selfish "me first" kind of guy who will never pursue something he personally doesn't want to do. Ergo, I have virtually zero expectation of him being a great player his senior year.

And, for the record, Dakich didn't make that remark on his radio show, he said it on ESPN for the world (not just his local followers) to hear. We all know the quote had to get back to JBJ, and it obviously had no impact. Which is a shame. And which, I think, supports my opinion.

Him not caring about defense for the last three years though. Do you think that wouldn't be a red flag? I mean the kids that get drafted in the first don't have near the amount of red flags he has even if he has this great year you feel he is primed for.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Not sure why all the JBj bashing, sure his defense is less than desirable, and he may not always follow offensive protocol (did Crean's offense have a system?), but James can shoot the rock, and he can score key buckets, so it's not like he's terrible, he just needs a little fixing.

Plus, he's one of the better rebounding guards in the country!

Sent from my SM-G900V using BtownBanners mobile app

Not sure why all the JBj bashing, sure his defense is less than desirable, and he may not always follow offensive protocol (did Crean's offense have a system?), but James can shoot the rock, and he can score key buckets, so it's not like he's terrible, he just needs a little fixing.

The whole convo was about him as a 1st rounder next year. Not sure what anyone discussed was bashing him. He isn't terrible by any stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Blackmon wasn't forced by the coach to play defense. I don't think that will be the same this season. Miller will make him play defense or he won't play. It's that simple. Miller doesn't owe him PT like Crean did. I think that is what some are trying to say and if he buys in to playing defense, has a great offensive year and IU does well, he will absolutely have a shot at getting drafted in first round. Probably late first round boarderline 2nd round but he will absolutely have a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners