Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

2 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

Hopefully he's excited about playing in the D-League. 

I like OG and I'm a big fan. 

But, he didn't have a great year (IMO) even before he got injured. Certainly not a first round lottery pick year. I know NBA draft stock is based a lot on potential... If you watch the tape, he really can't figure out how to dribble and he will separate from nobody in the NBA with his poor footwork. He certainly didn't shoot well from the college three line. He needs to stay and learn if he wants any chance at being good in the NBA, and not just going for the early check. The real NBA checks are the second contracts, anyways. 

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Some kids want to get out of their backyard. Not implying I have any inside info; just want us to have reasonable expectations.

Damezi Anderson wants to stay in B1G country, FYI.

I'm curious to know what happens with our scholarship offers that Crean put out for us. I'm guessing they go out the window, but I'm sure Archie will want to keep offers out for guys like Jallow and Anderson. If we did end up offering Anderson that is. 

6 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

Hopefully he's excited about playing in the D-League. 

Multi million dollar contract to play in the D-League, sounds good with me.

He'll slowly get adjusted to the NBA, shouldn't be a surprise to see him start off in the D-League. Going forward the D-League will be called the G-League. 

Very happy Hartman is back. Archie must of did a great job recruiting him back. I said earlier it was fact he was gone. Hartman had already started his training for his new job, going to workshop type education. Glad he had a change of heart and stayed. 

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Some kids want to get out of their backyard. Not implying I have any inside info; just want us to have reasonable expectations.

Damezi Anderson wants to stay in B1G country, FYI.

I think that's something people look past sometimes. I've always wondered if I would've still went to IU had I grown up in Bloomington or nearby. Part of the cool thing for me about going to college was getting away from my hometown and being in a new environment and I think some players think like that too. 

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

Very happy Hartman is back. Archie must of did a great job recruiting him back. I said earlier it was fact he was gone. Hartman had already started his training for his new job, going to workshop type education. Glad he had a change kf heart and stayed. 

Like others have mentioned, I'm sure he realized this was his last shot at playing ball. He can always find a job after, thats a given. Why not come back and be a part of another BIG championship with Archie leading these guys 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I think that's something people look past sometimes. I've always wondered if I would've still went to IU had I grown up in Bloomington or nearby. Part of the cool thing for me about going to college was getting away from my hometown and being in a new environment and I think some players think like that too. 

On the flip side, I grew up 2 hours away from Bloomington and wanted to go to IU my whole life. It's always interesting to hear opposite sides of the story and how people view their "hometown" school.

20 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

One thing to keep in mind: Just say that your "Believed to be Staying" and "Remaining Questions" all decide to stay. It's very unlikely (guessing OG doesn't return), but still, if that were to happen -- that means there are no incoming players or potential incoming players or others, because you're at your limit of scholarships. Crean had three players signed (two obviously have backed out), but technically, there were no spots open (with Hartman having remaining eligibility). I have a feeling early on, Crean was banking/planning on JBJ, OG and Bryant not being back -- and that Hartman would move on, too. Man, recruiting is a tricky business and juggling act! 

I completely understand what you are saying, that is why i listed it the way I did with the numbers in parenthesis, showing where we would be at knowing that 13 is the max we can actually take on scholarship.  Some people don't understand the over-sign and the affects it has and I was just trying to show that in a different way for those who don't seem to understand.  I'm actually saying the same thing as you, just in a different way (unless I worded something wrong, lol).

3 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Multi million dollar contract to play in the D-League, sounds good with me.

He'll slowly get adjusted to the NBA, shouldn't be a surprise to see him start off in the D-League. Going forward the D-League will be called the G-League. 

Not saying I blame him. Just don't see his skill level translating well at the NBA level at this point. 

You might get guaranteed money for two years if you're OG, but what happens after that? I'd say he's got it pretty good at IU. Why not stay, work on your game, work on getting a degree, show you can evolve as a player, and be a lottery pick in 2018?

3 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Like others have mentioned, I'm sure he realized this was his last shot at playing ball. He can always find a job after, thats a given. Why not come back and be a part of another BIG championship with Archie leading these guys 

Get basically everyone back and we will be a very good team next season. 

1 minute ago, VO5 said:

On the flip side, I grew up 2 hours away from Bloomington and wanted to go to IU my whole life. It's always interesting to hear opposite sides of the story and how people view their "hometown" school.

Oh I was the same exact way. I grew up about 2 and a half hours north of Bloomington, but I went to a super small school and no one else from my class came to IU so it was like a whole new world for me. I think sometimes we (myself included) think we have to get x, y, z players because they're from Indiana, but there will always be guys we never really had a chance with because they want to get away. 

9 minutes ago, HoosiersLoveBanners said:

I like OG and I'm a big fan. 

But, he didn't have a great year (IMO) even before he got injured. Certainly not a first round lottery pick year. I know NBA draft stock is based a lot on potential... If you watch the tape, he really can't figure out how to dribble and he will separate from nobody in the NBA with his poor footwork. He certainly didn't shoot well from the college three line. He needs to stay and learn if he wants any chance at being good in the NBA, and not just going for the early check. The real NBA checks are the second contracts, anyways. 

The only way I want OG to go to the NBA is if the Pacers were to draft him.  And since Bird seems to have a hate for anything IU, (not signing Yogi who would at the least bring people in the building, and point guard is a huge need for the Pacers for the future, they could have signed him at a bargain like Dallas did) I don't expect the Pacers to select OG even if he was available at their pick.  

2 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Dump priller. Scholarships are renewed annually. We need room for someone who can contribute

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I think, with CAM, we're moving beyond the days of "dumping" players.  CAM has stated that each guy brings value, and he's going to invest in them.  Shows good leadership for the team and fanbase.  If it means we have to eat a scholarship offer that doesn't pan out, then so be it.  

Great news!!! And double bonus!

Archie will have a big recruiting class to fill 2018. Gets his own guys.

I love the news so far today. Would like Blackmon back too, but whatever is best for him. I'm not expecting Moore to join. Maybe Al still has a chance.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners