Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

We'll see.

Sent from my SM-G935P using BtownBanners mobile app

Unless they're leaving for the league, I don't think many of them want to sit out a year. I would expect many to be back. If Archie can talk TB and JBJ to stay, assuming OG goes pro, I think we could be a very very good team next year. We had all the talent this season just not the guidance.

We finished as one of the worst defensive teams in the country. Was it because of Creans style? was it because the kids didn't give a flip? was it because they didn't have confidence in each other as a team defensively? 

I think it is the later. I don't think these kids want to lose and I don't think they are lazy. What I witnessed this season was kids trying to play together as a unit then it would break down at some point and if you payed attention it was usually JBJ getting beat off the dribble causing the unit to break down. I think James wants to play D, but the kid is really not that quick laterally and you have to be or just have great instincts to be able to beat someone to the spot. James has neither and the players knew it and no matter how hard they all worked they knew it was ultimately going to break down and that is defeating to a team and that is how it looked.

I have nothing against JBJ, but he is a coaches double edged sword. a great shooter and decent strait line speed can get to the rim, but is a real liability on defense. I think JBJ is a 20 minute performer at best and is that guy that can give a scorers punch off the bench. I think his knees are the issue with his lateral speed, but that is a real issue for Arch to decide if he stays.  

1 minute ago, Dizz said:

I'm torn on what is best for the team as far as JBJ staying or going.

He needs to stay if we want to have a shot of winning anything next year. Yeah he can't play defense, but we now have a coach that DEMANDS defense. 

I will say, I can understand why he might not be so hot on defense with his two ACL tears and MCL tear. 

I wouldn't under estimate this rosters attachment to Crean. However, Miller probably won over most of the room. Those that leave would have done so with or without Crean. OG, JBJ, Bryant? Johnson?

If we can keep 2 out of 4 from this list it is an excellent job really. In between wanting to leave for the NBA and regular transfers it was going to be a rough year with Crean honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, Treesh said:

He needs to stay if we want to have a shot of winning anything next year. Yeah he can't play defense, but we now have a coach that DEMANDS defense. 

I will say, I can understand why he might not be so hot on defense with his two ACL tears and MCL tear. 

I'm not so sure, at this point he's basically just a spot up shooter.  Due to his injuries (and even pre-injury), he just isn't very fast for a guard.  Even his freshman year he couldn't beat anyone off the dribble and would get blocked almost every time he drove.  His 3 point shooting is top tier, so I'm sure we'll keep him for that alone.

Unless they're leaving for the league, I don't think many of them want to sit out a year. I would expect many to be back. If Archie can talk TB and JBJ to stay, assuming OG goes pro, I think we could be a very very good team next year. We had all the talent this season just not the guidance.

TB and OG would be the only ones from that list that would have to sit out a year. The others would be grad transfers.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, Dizz said:

I'm not so sure, at this point he's basically just a spot up shooter.  Due to his injuries (and even pre-injury), he just isn't very fast for a guard.  Even his freshman year he couldn't beat anyone off the dribble and would get blocked almost every time he drove.  His 3 point shooting is top tier, so I'm sure we'll keep him for that alone.

If we needed a big shot, he was the guy. Imagine if we had sets for him to get his shots off cleaner, WoW!

He will test the NBA waters this summer and I imagine most NBA teams will tell him to go back to school. 

If he comes back, I believe CAM will use james more effectively than last year. Most of the time, James just pulled up from the wing or top of the key with a defender on him. 

Miller sounds like he uses a shorter rotation that Crean. Craziness I know but hey who knew playing your top players more helped. 

I really feel we need Rojo or Blackmon to stay and from a potential standpoint JBJ is the guy you have to hope stays. He's got the physical tools to be a respectable defender. If CAM can bring that out Woah. 

Green, JBJ, Morgan, Davis, Bryant.  With Newkirk, Cujo, Smith could be a very good group. With anybody else being a bonus

Seniors

Blackmon

Johnson

Priller

Newkirk

McSwain

Juniors

Bryant

Morgan

Sophomores 

Davis

Green

Jones

Gelon

Freshman 

Smith

That leaves 1 open scholarship of all of these guys return. So would you rather have Durham, Moore, Wright, or someone else?

I would prefer to leave it open and find a grad transfer more than anything, but seeing it broken down by class I think signing a freshman would be the best move.  If those guys all come back we'll have a minimum of 5 scholarships to play with, likely six during next year's recruiting cycle. Signing another freshman this year would help balance our classes. Of those three I would take Moore, but I'd want to see who else is available first. 

I've always been curious about something. When Crean signed Cody, Patterson, Hollowell, Yogi, Devin Davis, Hanner -- he had a decent run of getting Indiana kids. (Of course, except for Cody and Yogi, none of those worked out.) Still, I wonder: How did he develop such a disconnect with the state? I grew up in Indiana, attended IU and now live in Virginia. When I watch Kyle Guy, I think, "Damn! He should be a Hoosier." ... I have faith that Archie can get things back on the right track, but still, I wonder: What the hell happened? 

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

I also heard that at times coaches would want him to come watch a kid and he would basically decline. Ironic if true considering his shotgun approach. 

I've heard that before as well. The biggest thing though is that kids just found him weird and couldn't connect with him. At least from what I have heard.