Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

41 minutes ago, incrediboy said:

Personally I hope Blackmon goes pro, even if he has to go to Europe. I think he's finished his degree already (correct me if I'm wrong...and I know somebody will). I expect OG to go pro. I think he's a fool not to go if the projections of mid-first-round are correct.

The idea of a Bryant-Davis-Morgan front line (with Bryant adding 30 pounds and being a muscle force inside) is already tingling my spine.

30 lbs of muscle in a year is ludicrous. Let's try 12, pushing it. 

Hartman and OG seem to be the only likely players to leave the team.

Archie is apparently trying to keep Durham and Moore.  Unless he fails at both, it may be hard to fit Antetokounmpo and Wright onto the team unless we get some "Creaning" underway.

If there are defections, I think we'll be going the grad transfer route instead of going for pure freshman. There aren't many 2017s left worth going for. The one I would really want is Mark Smith. Archie could do wonders with a PG of that caliber

18 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Hartman and OG seem to be the only likely players to leave the team.

Archie is apparently trying to keep Durham and Moore.  Unless he fails at both, it may be hard to fit Antetokounmpo and Wright onto the team unless we get some "Creaning" underway.

I would think JBJ is fairly likely to leave. His stock isn't rising with another year at IU, right? I really hope we keep Rojo and TB. OG would make us a legit team, but i doubt he's staying. 

21 minutes ago, Adillac said:

I would think JBJ is fairly likely to leave. His stock isn't rising with another year at IU, right? I really hope we keep Rojo and TB. OG would make us a legit team, but i doubt he's staying. 

His stock is extremely low right now looking at draft boards. The d league or some European team would be his best option if he came out this year imo. If he came back and averaged 18 on a team contending for a Big Ten championship I think his stock would rise quite a bit. Archie would have him running off screens and playing defense. This year he was just the best scorer on a really bad team. If he came back he could show teams that he's a complete player. 

If there are defections, I think we'll be going the grad transfer route instead of going for pure freshman. There aren't many 2017s left worth going for. The one I would really want is Mark Smith. Archie could do wonders with a PG of that caliber

I feel this is best route as well. Gives him enough schollys in 18 to really put his mark on the program. Mark Smith, Waters and Tucker along with Kostas, Wright and Xeryius Williams are the only guys I would want to come here young. Maybe an impact transfer kid. Grad guys can provide leadership as well that we WILL need.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

JBJ is very interested in staying. Doesnt mean he will but he knows he is a 2nd round or Yogi route to the NBA. The chance to become an all time great Hoosier is pushing him closer to staying than leaving at the moment. He will test the waters though. He is finally healthy to do drills and workouts so he will participate. What happens there will decide whether he stays or goes.

4 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

People are gonna be pissed off if they think deflections were just a Crean thing...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think it's more because he made such a big deal about it while fielding some of the worst defenses we have had at IU.  It seems like the only time our defense was adequate to good was when we had a dominant defender like Oladipo.

25 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

His stock could rise with the right coach. 

I guess the question for me with JBJ is would he do what Archie wants him to do? If it's true he had tuned Crean out, it seems he could easily do the same with another coach. Especially one that JBJ didn't choose to play for on his own. I'm kinda hoping JBJ will move on myself because if it's true he is a "bad apple" I don't want him interfering with what Archie will be trying to do. It's possible he may actually click with Archie and do what is asked of him, but what I do know is that the 15-16 team seemed to play much better without him in the lineup.

I think it's more because he made such a big deal about it while fielding some of the worst defenses we have had at IU.  It seems like the only time our defense was adequate to good if we had a dominant defender like Oladipo.

Plus he preached it while not enforcing any other defensive fundamentals.

Almost like deflections trumped good defensive positioning.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

5 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

JBJ is very interested in staying. Doesnt mean he will but he knows he is a 2nd round or Yogi route to the NBA. The chance to become an all time great Hoosier is pushing him closer to staying than leaving at the moment. He will test the waters though. He is finally healthy to do drills and workouts so he will participate. What happens there will decide whether he stays or goes.

I see him and Yogi's IU careers through their junior years as pretty similar. Both came in as very highly ranked players with high expectations. Both were pretty good but didn't really live up to those expectations their first three years. Yogi came back for his senior year and became an all-time great Hoosier. Blackmon has the chance to come back and do the same. 

30 minutes ago, kottke said:

I guess the question for me with JBJ is would he do what Archie wants him to do? If it's true he had tuned Crean out, it seems he could easily do the same with another coach. Especially one that JBJ didn't choose to play for on his own. I'm kinda hoping JBJ will move on myself because if it's true he is a "bad apple" I don't want him interfering with what Archie will be trying to do. It's possible he may actually click with Archie and do what is asked of him, but what I do know is that the 15-16 team seemed to play much better without him in the lineup.

My guess is that if he stays and wants to play, it will be on Archie's terms. IF not, you're right, he's probably better moving on.

37 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

People are gonna be pissed off if they think deflections were just a Crean thing...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I don't take offense to the deflections. I've just never heard anyone talk about them as much as Crean did. It's PART of a defensive philosophy, not what you base your whole judgement on.