Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

8 hours ago, Maynard said:

1. If the narrative of the national media, that Crean will ultimately decide whether or not he leaves, is true, then things have gotten WAY out of control for Glass.  He cannot allow the coach of any program to exert that sort of power.  Basically, Crean is holding Indiana hostage if this is true. 

2. The Road Game: It would not be good for Crean or the University to have a half-filled Assembly Hall booing Crean throughout an NIT game that they might very well win.  If Crean is already gone this makes a lot of sense.  If he is still going to be around, the boo birds are going to be ready next season.  Rumor has it that a Fire Tom Crean group is growing among the students, as rallies are being planned.  Some students have been reports receiving emails and signing up.

3. The Coaching Search: Unless Glass has put out feelers and KNOWS that he has a legitimate shot at a Bennett, Donovan, etc.  He is completely foolish to wait on Tom Crean.  "We'd love to hire you coach Donovan/Bennett, but we have to get permission from our current coach first."

4. Insiders:  Its hard to know what to make of the insiders.  Many people have multiple motives for putting out information.  I love the forums, but those who operate them aren't hurt at all by the swirling, constantly changing rumors, this all keeps us glued to the screen clicking refresh.  Others love the attention they get when they release vague snippets.  I am not criticizing anyone specifically, it is just difficult to distinguish between all of these people with unknown motivations.

Ultimately time will tell.  I am very optimistic that he is gone.  I hope that his best days are in front of him.

Good stuff, Maynard. 

Assuming a loss. Thursday or Friday release makes sense. (Good or bad)

Bury it in the excitement of the games.

I think Glass really, really wants to give him another year. I think he is starting to realize he might not be able to without a major fallout. Not sure what to expect.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

This is what I'm expecting IF Glass doesn't get options 1-4. He will somehow feel that it will be in the programs best interest to "hang in there 1 more year."

Oh dear word, idk what I'd do then. Become a Butler fan after 34 years?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

8 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Assuming a loss. Thursday or Friday release makes sense. (Good or bad)

Bury it in the excitement of the games.

I think Glass really, really wants to give him another year. I think he is starting to realize he might not be able to without a major fallout. Not sure what to expect.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

The late Friday afternoon press release. Glass classic.

The late Friday afternoon press release. Glass classic.

Most big news is released on Friday after 5 in hopes people forget about it by Monday or in hopes something else happens over the weekend...and they're able to prepare for all of the interviews and press conference questions for Monday. That's not Glass specific.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

21 minutes ago, Sknits nad said:

Crazy how so many people are calling for Glass's head and saying he is an idiot, when no announcement has been made.  He isn't leaving the decision up to Crean, he has already reached out to other coaches.  He isn't leaving the decision up to Crean, he would be torpedoing his own job.  He isn't leaving the decision up to Crean because next year would be toxic and more importantly his boss won't let donors close their check books for an entire year.  If Crean had an option of deciding to come back and make top 10 money or go to a football school and make maybe half that he would have already decided to stay.  Glass hasn't publicly backed him for a very obvious reason.  Settle down, Crean is gone.

99% agree with you but you have to admit, the lame excuse to schedule the NIT game in Atlanta is a head-scratcher.  Who does that?

11 minutes ago, theriverpilot said:

99% agree with you but you have to admit, the lame excuse to schedule the NIT game in Atlanta is a head-scratcher.  Who does that?

I think they did it because Assembly Hall would have been half full at best and filled with boos.  Glass was trying to avoid a toxic situation for this one game.  Glass had to know forfeiting the home game would make him look like an @$$ hat.  If he is willing to go to that extent to avoid the toxicity for one game, he isn't bringing Crean back for an entire year of it next season.  

Edited by Sknits nad

Memo to Jim Sterk:  I know how you can save $80,000.

COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) — The University of Missouri will pay $80,000 to a search firm helping the university find a new men's basketball coach.

The Columbia Daily Tribune reports (http://bit.ly/2njdWZV ) the university released details of its contract with the Parker Executive Search firm on Monday.

The fee doesn't include direct expenses, which are capped at $9,600. The contract also doesn't include costs for such things as committee travel and background investigations, which will be billed separately.

Athletic Director Jim Sterk has said the school is using the search firm primarily to provide confidentiality to candidates.

Aren't there at least a handful of other schools that have openings who would love to have Crean? I'm hoping we don't have to think there are only one or two schools Crean would go for, in turn limiting the chances of him being gone...(considering Glass seems so adamant in him finding a landing place instead of just getting it over with and firing him). There's another part of me that thinks once our season is officially over, he will then announce he is gone and just hasn't done it yet since we still have another game to play. 

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

One place that Tom Crean will not be the coach next year:

South Florida will hire Brian Gregory as its next head basketball coach, per sources. Former HC at both Dayton and Georgia Tech.

Damn. Crean would have loved to work on his tan in SF.

47 minutes ago, Sknits nad said:

I think they did it because Assembly Hall would have been half full at best and filled with boos.  Glass was trying to avoid a toxic situation for this one game.  Glass had to know forfeiting the home game would make him look like an @$$ hat.  If he is willing to go to that extent to avoid the toxicity for one game, he isn't bringing Crean back for an entire year of it next season.  

I agree again but it was a very extreme move, further setting himself up even more for the ridicule.  

51 minutes ago, Sknits nad said:

Somewhat disagree.  1.  Less students in attendance would reduce the toxicity drastically, there would be more families and young children.  2.  If they made tickets somewhat affordable, I don't think they'd have any issue filling it to the standard attendance level.

28 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

One place that Tom Crean will not be the coach next year:

South Florida will hire Brian Gregory as its next head basketball coach, per sources. Former HC at both Dayton and Georgia Tech.

And another per Jon Rothstein:

BREAKING: GW has offered its full-time head coaching spot to interim head coach Maurice Joseph and he is expected to accept, per sources.