Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

That KenPom 30/30 rule is the first hurdle. There have been a few other people who have added to it. Things like an NBA first rounder at PG is something I've seen tagged on that fits. Aka, put Marshall at a school with recruiting benefits and let him do what he's always done.

Have Bennett, Archie, and Sean met the 30/30 rule? I don't even want to consider a coach who has 10+ years of experience as hasn't done that.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Let's look at the Alford thing a little more closely.   I don't care what level a coach comes from.  I want to know what he can do and whether or not he can recruit the right kind of kids and win.  So let's break this down a little bit.  (And yes, I know Crean gets a breakfast pass for his first 2 (no...not 3) seasons at Indiana.

Alford .667 overall winning %    Crean .608

Alford 6 conference titles, 18 Top 4 conference finishes   Crean  3 conference titles, 7 top 4 finishes

Alford  9 seasons with single digit losses including a 31-1 season.  Crean  5 seasons with single digit losses, best of 27-6.

Alford  Seventeen 20-win seasons.  Crean  Nine 20-win seasons.

Neither have had much post-season success; but Alford at Indiana seems a better fit than Crean.  is it a home run?  No.  But I don't think we'll ever get a home run hire on the surface.  We may get a coach who turns into one.  Indiana needs someone who understands where he is; and Alford will absolutely recruit Indiana and the surrounding area better than Crean will; and that by itself translates into some degree of success.  Alford took over an Iowa program that had been mediocre forever; and maintained it, basically.  But his final season, he was 25-9 and never missed the post season after year 1.  Crean missed the post season in year 6.   Iowa has always been Iowa.  No matter who the coach was,  Alford's 25-9 season there in 2006-2007 was Iowa's best since 1983, so he made SOME progress.  Crean was the coach when IU pulled out from under Sampson, but he took 4 seasons to even be decent.  That should never happen at Indiana, and the fact he gets a free pass for the 3rd season infuriates me.   

Anyway, I don't think Alford would be as bad HERE as some of you.  I think the circumstances and locale matter....and I also think we need an Indiana guy in that seat.

15 minutes ago, SteelerHoosier said:

Been talking to that BTownInsider fellow over at 247. According to him the snag with Donovan are timing and bonus details. Said everything else will be hammered out and fully believes Donovan will be the coach 

Ugh how hard is it for Glass to say "Hey Billy, heres $50 million. Just make sure you're here by Hoosier Hysteria." 

I understand Glass's apprehension though since Donavon has backed out of a coaching deal before. 

If he wants to come to Indiana than he knows how important the April recruiting period is and wouldn't want to miss it. That's why I don't really buy that narrative.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I would think Indiana officially announcing Billy Donovan as the coach for next season would somewhat help with him not physically being there for April recruiting in itself. If he can name an asst like others have mentioned to handle that process until he can come over, than you do it. Hiring Donovan at IU would have the same effect on a national level as when UK hired Calipari. You get that done no matter what who cares about a month or two recruiting for this season, he'll be here for multiple seasons.

This could be out of the realm, but I wonder if Donovan has it set up as "yep, I'll be the coach, but I want it kept quiet and don't want it announced until Crean is officially announced as gone", and then we know something sooner than we may think. But I'm thinking he may want to wait til he is done with the Thunder. My reason behind thinking they may announce sooner than later his him being well aware of the importance of the recruiting time frame and establishing a good set up for the new season ahead. 

IU wants him to take over towards the end of the tourney. He wants to wait till the Thunder's season concludes. If true IU needs to just give him what he wants. You take a hit this year and just deal with it. 

The question for me is this. Would he commit and sign (if even possible while somewhere else) now or does he want to wait till then to decide?

Been talking to that BTownInsider fellow over at 247. According to him the snag with Donovan are timing and bonus details. Said everything else will be hammered out and fully believes Donovan will be the coach 

Man I don't want you to get you're hopes up with that guy. He has yet to show he is an actual insider. If it turns out we get Donovan I will apologize, he seems to be the only one that has said Donovan is for sure coming.

That KenPom 30/30 rule is the first hurdle. There have been a few other people who have added to it. Things like an NBA first rounder at PG is something I've seen tagged on that fits. Aka, put Marshall at a school with recruiting benefits and let him do what he's always done.

Have Bennett, Archie, and Sean met the 30/30 rule? I don't even want to consider a coach who has 10+ years of experience as hasn't done that.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Sean has done it 4 out of the last 5 years. Bennett 3 out of the last 5. Archie actually hasn't done it, but I think he's more of a potential guy than an established coach. I'm admittedly surprised he hasn't done it. Dayton is 45/48 this year. 146/15 last year. He usually has one of the two under or near 30, but has never had both.

4 minutes ago, HoosierRob said:

Man I don't want you to get you're hopes up with that guy. He has yet to show he is an actual insider. If it turns out we get Donovan I will apologize, he seems to be the only one that has said Donovan is for sure coming.

Plenty of salt is being held over here

35 minutes ago, SteelerHoosier said:

I figured those would be issues. Hope he's right

I don't think we'll ever get a home run hire on the surface.  We may get a coach who turns into one.  

A great post with a lot of information worthy of debate.
But the one key point that I think is UNDENIABLE is quoted above.

Ha! Maybe he is actually "Hoosier Guy" posting under a different name.

You wait until after the Thunder's season concludes. You can't turn down Billy Donovan just because he wants to come a month after the college basketball season concludes. Thunder will lose in the first round and he would be here first week of May. Get to talk with all the players face to face and convince them to stay. End of story

Is crean fired yet. Lets get him out of here.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Ugh how hard is it for Glass to say "Hey Billy, heres $50 million. Just make sure you're here by Hoosier Hysteria." 

I understand Glass's apprehension though since Donavon has backed out of a coaching deal before. 

it would be easy that's why I don't think it's true