Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

The interpretation of the poll is not accurate as everyone has their different preference of coach.  Try Crean versus Alford and see where Collins/Marshall/Miller fans fall?!?!

My biggest worry about hiring Alford..

Say we end up where we are now a few years down the road.

We think it's hard to fire Crean. How do you fire a guy like Alford?

I know we got rid of Bobby but circumstances were different.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Similar to the reason why I'm glad the Colts didn't/couldn't hire Peyton as GM

They sure do. A lot of downstate schools in Peoria this year. Nice to see that for a change. All-downstate 1A title game and one downstate school in the 2A title.

Yes. I have a good friend who has a kid playing for St. Anthony.

2 of the kids on their starting 5 have either a father or grandfather who played for Teutopolis in HS. The team who beat us by 2 in the Sectionals is playing for the 2A Championship tonight. Where are you from?

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, IU Hoosier41 said:

For those saying Alford is a big step up from Crean... Indiana fans don't agree on BIG step.

ImageUploadedByBtownBanners1489252695.523621.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Seriously? Too many causal fans voting that don't pay nearly the attention to make the decision as there should be.  I don't even like Marshall and I'd take him every day of the week over Crean and Alford. 

Alford is not on my list, but if the hire happens, which I doubt, I would back him 100% until proven otherwise.

The only coach I wouldn't back if he were hired would be Calipari. If IU ever hired him I would be done. Yes I know it won't happen

Regardless of who my personal preference might be, I'm prepared to support the leader of the program next year, whether it's CTC or someone else. The only exception is Alford. His credentials are secondary. His handling of the Pierre Pierce situation ends it for me. He is less fit then Sampson to lead this program. 

Me too

Yes. I have a good friend who is playing for St. Anthony.
2 of the kids on their starting 5 have either a father or grandfather who played for Teutopolis in HS. The team who beat us by 2 in the Sectionals is playing for the 2A Championship tonight. Where are you from?

Yeah I have a few really good friends from Mt. Carmel so I've been keeping track of them. They have a couple studs. I live around Marshall right now, but not originally from here.

Yeah I have a few really good friends from Mt. Carmel so I've been keeping track of them. They have a couple studs. I live around Marshall right now, but not originally from here.

If only we wouldn't have missed about 10 point blank shots at the rim. I didn't expect us to beat Marshall as bad as we did at the shootout though.

3 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Does anyone honestly think Indiana high school players care about Steve Alford at all?

Alford was a good player and all, but I hate to break it to those who expect him to "lock down the state": 18 year kids today don't give a sh1t about what Steve Alford did 30 years ago.

No but their coaches, parents, and grand parents do. Also Alford will have coaches on staff with excellent ties for in state recruiting success. Like I said earlier, no kdy is locking diwn the state. Alford and company will do as good as anyone else could in recruiting the state, if not better. 

Does anyone honestly think Indiana high school players care about Steve Alford at all?

Alford was a good player and all, but I hate to break it to those who expect him to "lock down the state": 18 year kids today don't give a sh1t about what Steve Alford did 30 years ago.

Steve would make connections with the AAU coaches. In today's climate that is how it works. Steve is more willing to dance than Tom.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It is not so much that he walks in the door and while the hallelujah chorus sings in the background kids fall down in awe. Rather, being a former Indiana HS all-star, being the son of Hall of fame HS coach and having played at an All American level at the state school he would likely prioritize and connect with kids much better here.

Now, I don't think anyone locks down the state anymore but I have no doubt he would recruit the state better.

I know many are not big on second chances but I could get on board IF Alford legitimately talked about how he failed in handling that PP matter at Iowa. Not a fake apology but real and one that would have to convince this skeptic.

Then if we miss on BD, SM and are down to the Marshall level I would at least consider him here.

I'm starting to like the idea of Alford a lot. I know that if he hadn't played for IU we wouldn't even think about him as a candidate, but I think that the fact he did play at IU is very significant. He knows what it's like to play for IU at its very best. The other candidates all get that IU has a great tradition, but I don't think they get it like Alford does. He played in front of 17,000 screaming Assembly Hall fans for 4 years. If the star of our last championship was able to come in and end a 30+ year drought to hang up our 6th banner? He would become the biggest legend in Indiana basketball history. Step aside, Bobby. I could see something awakening inside him as a coach if he was given the opportunity to coach at IU. 

He's not my top choice, but I would feel excited about IU basketball if he was our next coach. 

Good points. I feel like that has been the obvious plus that no one here wants to admit. We continue to find the negative to every candidate that isn't Billy D. If he came I would be THRILLED. Realistically though every coach has his down falls. Alford hasn't made it far in the tourney, but that doesn't mean he can't. I think him here without worrying about Bryce could be amazing. He is a IU legend and he before any of these other coaches would do whatever they could to get us a banner. He would be more invested than any of the other guys. He also still loves IU as he had Wilkes send him pictures of AH now that is redone. Yes, we could get a better coach, but I am not sure there is a better fit. He would probably bring a IU guy or two to be an assistant too. WHOEVER becomes our coach I will be excited about and will back him 100%. If we can't we will be known as one of the worse fans in the country to not even give a guy a chance when he is doing well at UCLA at the moment. All the people saying they wouldn't watch IU but claim we are such a great program are hypocrites. Alford is a big part of that history and IU does not lack for fans so. If he fails, I dont think anyone would be more upset than him. I wish we would make a cpl calls before him, but I am onboard.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

I can't believe I'm still reading arguments for Alford.

1) In what world was he UCLA program Alford inherited broken? Are we talking about the same team that was 25-10 the year prior, and won the PAC 12? Sounds pretty great to me.

2) Steve Alford has assembled exactly ZERO teams that were in both the KenPom top 30 for AjdOffense and AdjDefense. No team since KenPom started tracking in 2002 has won the title without falling in the top 30 for both of those statistics. Crean has assembled only two in the same time period, still more than Alford. Alford's "amazing" team this year is the #3 AdjO, but the #81 AdjD. Watch them fall woefully short in the tournament. Very much like our own teams under Crean, they're an offensive power house and a joke on defense. 8dd1f522b989b89659cd0aebbedf0a0d.jpg&key=47b3328be129d3c9f01d72f14cf8d7240a4e13dd6e063ef958eed14421d920ce

3) He has missed the tournament 12 times in 22 years. Give him two "rebuild" years each when he arrived to Iowa and NM, like we all do with Crean at Indiana, and then how do we explain the other six years where he missed the tournament?

4) His recruiting has been excellent, but look at the variance between his recruiting at a very strong Iowa program in a top conference (Fran has no trouble recruiting) versus at UCLA. Night and day difference. He's definitely assembled, on average, better classes at UCLA than Crean has at IU, but I will argue that UCLA recruits itself possibly better than any elite program in the country. It's Indiana's history, in one of the coolest cities in America, with some of the best weather in the country, and better perks. I also think he'd have success recruiting the state, but if you think Wilkes is an example of how he'd land in-state kids, I suggest looking at Wilkes comments regarding wanting to go to LA for exposure and a better chance at going to the NBA. I think Alford is probably in the same range as Crean as a recruiter.

5) The Pierre Pierce incident at Iowa. It was handled so unprofessionally, the last thing I want at IU is someone without questionable morals or judgement, especially when handling a situation as serious as that.

6) [empty to represent banner #6 that will remain missing for the entirety of Alford's time as Indiana's head coach if he were hired]

Does he get any rebuild years at UCLA and SWMS? If those are in your 22 years then there might be some need for that.

The problem with looking at his record is, other than Iowa, he builds a program up and then moves up. I would have loved to have seen sustained success at some school. The lack of sustained success is my biggest gripe with Crean.