Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

I love when people say, "Coach Crean is a good coach but he's not good enough for IU."

What about this guy makes him a good coach? Or even an average one?

Smh. 🤡

Sent from my SM-G935P using BtownBanners mobile app

Well player development is a part of that, and I think most without a biased opinion of that would respect some of the players he has got to the NBA at both Marquette and IU. Most coaches that go to his practices are very complimentary. He turned that into around $25 million at IU. He isn't winning at a high enough clip to stay here. That doesn't make him a bad coach. As 41 said, don't hate the player hate the game and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I don't think a bad coach could find his way to 2 B1G titles and a few Sweet 16's while sending multiple players to the NBA. The lack of sustained success makes him not IU-worthy, but some schools would kill for that type of success.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Mizzou would love that record

I don't think a bad coach could find his way to 2 B1G titles and a few Sweet 16's while sending multiple players to the NBA. The lack of sustained success makes him not IU-worthy, but some schools would kill for that type of success.

The problem with that is that if he does go to an average school that accepts his mediocre skills, he won't be able to recruit the McDonalds All Americans. Half (or almost half) of the ones he has recruited have come from the state of Indiana. Once he's not with us anymore, that well dries up and he fades away. The name on the jersey recruited a lot of our big time players, not Crean.

The problem with that is that if he does go to an average school that accepts his mediocre skills, he won't be able to recruit the McDonalds All Americans. Half (or almost half) of the ones he has recruited have come from the state of Indiana. Once he's not with us anymore, that well dries up and he fades away. The name on the jersey recruited a lot of our big time players, not Crean.

I don't really agree the Indiana name recruited a lot of our big time guys. We've had multiple recruits say "I couldn't really tell you much about their history..." I'm pretty sure Rob even said something like that. Sometimes his personality pushes people away, but it's also been said that he creates some great relationships with guys, De'ron for example. And how much has he really developed his Mcdonalds guys anyway? They came in as great players and didn't really visibly change their games that much. Some of his best players have been unheralded guys.

And I think if he gets out of the B1G and avoids the ACC, he has enough coaching skill to survive in an SEC or Big East or American conference. I get that some people hate Crean, but I feel like that hatred can be blinding and people lose sight of reality. He is a good not great coach, and a good not great recruiter. He's average. Which isn't good enough here, but is in a place that doesn't really care about basketball, which has been said 3 million times on here.

I don't really agree the Indiana name recruited a lot of our big time guys. We've had multiple recruits say "I couldn't really tell you much about their history..." I'm pretty sure Rob even said something like that. Sometimes his personality pushes people away, but it's also been said that he creates some great relationships with guys, De'ron for example. And how much has he really developed his Mcdonalds guys anyway? They came in as great players and didn't really visibly change their games that much. Some of his best players have been unheralded guys.

And I think if he gets out of the B1G and avoids the ACC, he has enough coaching skill to survive in an SEC or Big East or American conference. I get that some people hate Crean, but I feel like that hatred can be blinding and people lose sight of reality. He is a good not great coach, and a good not great recruiter. He's average. Which isn't good enough here, but is in a place that doesn't really care about basketball, which has been said 3 million times on here.

I think we are both saying that the sky is blue. I'm saying without the Mcdonalds kids from the state, we would have been average at best because that's his ceiling. Average. The only guys he "developed" was Vic and MAYBE Troy. No one else that wasn't a McD kid has made it to the next level. And let's be honest, Rob Johnson is not playing as well as we all hoped when he came in, so that's not your best example. His flashes of great are far and few between.

I think we are both saying that the sky is blue. I'm saying without the Mcdonalds kids from the state, we would have been average at best because that's his ceiling. Average. The only guys he "developed" was Vic and MAYBE Troy. No one else that wasn't a McD kid has made it to the next level. And let's be honest, Rob Johnson is not playing as well as we all hoped when he came in, so that's not your best example. His flashes of great are far and few between.

If you think that Vic and maybe Troy are the only guys that got better here...then sure. I disagree with that, but that's fine. But you can't just throw away the fact that Rob was a big time recruiting win that said he didn't know much about Indiana's history. I don't care how good he is at present, he was a prized recruit. How many guys that we're in deep with talk about Indiana's great history when being recruited vs. talking about having a great relationship with Crean? I don't have numbers, but I'm willing to bet it's more toward the latter. I really don't think our name means much to a lot of kids, which is a discussion for another thread entirely.

We agree that he's average, and he needed his top talent to win what he won here, but a certain group on here like to constantly harp on him being a bumbling idiot, which is one of the more ignorant stances that could be had on the subject. (Not saying you're doing that, but that's my main point. He isn't as bad as some try to make him out to be.)

Personal opinion, but I don't agree at all when people say he developed Vic. Look at how many talented players he's had come in and they've never gotten really any better. I think Vic's development was 90% Vic working his ass off in and out of practice and setting a goal for himself and not settling for less. Yes, Being at IU let him shine more so than he would have at a lesser school that he probably would have winded up at, but Vic got better every year, not many others Crean players get better at all it just is what it is.

12 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

Personal opinion, but I don't agree at all when people say he developed Vic. Look at how many talented players he's had come in and they've never gotten really any better. I think Vic's development was 90% Vic working his ass off in and out of practice and setting a goal for himself and not settling for less. Yes, Being at IU let him shine more so than he would have at a lesser school that he probably would have winded up at, but Vic got better every year, not many others Crean players get better at all it just is what it is.

NBA execs and scouts would disagree with your personal opinion.