Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

But then you have to look at the schedule. In particular the pre-conference schedule. Sure, there are the sprinklings of Kansas or UNC, but other than those few? Wouldn''t surprise me to see a Barber's College or New York School of the Performing Arts on the schedule.

Free fades for everyone

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

8 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

But lets just say you didnt mess that up even though your a Crean fan yet didnt know the info from his only final four, you have to account that 2 B1G titles spike his numbers in conference. For instance if a coach wins 12-14 wins one year and 7-9 the next it looks better than a first place finish followed by the bottom next. I like B1G titles but I could even be okay with not winning one but knowing we had a shot every single year. Consistency is better than highs and lows. ...

No way.  No one keeps track of mediocre seasons.  Those Big Ten Championships matter, and go in the record books.  

The thing is that there is a growing body of evidence that Crean has hit his ceiling, and we're going to have the low years without corresponding high years that include better tournament success.

34 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

Cuse won it that year with Melo. I am almost positive Kansas beat Marquette and I cant remember who they beat to reach the FF.

Kansas beat Arizona to get to the FF where they beat Marquette before losing to Syracuse

Marquette beat Kentucky to reach the FF.

Texas beat Michigan State to get to NOLA (FF site)

Syracuse beat Oklahoma to get to the FF, then beat Texas and Kansas to win it all.

Was just going to mention this. Really good center from Indiana died unexpectedly of heart issues. That DEFINITELY impacted their team in many ways. Dude can coach and he's a sleeping giant in terms of recruiting. Comes from a GREAT coaching family, played high level D1 basketball (ACC), and made it further in the tournament at Dayton than Crean did in 9 seasons at Indiana.

Yeah If Archie failed miserably this season not to many could say much when he said we had a kid die. I mean seriously. Injuries are giving coaches breaks everywhere for some reason yet he had a player die who was gonna be his best player sides maybe Smith. Amd here he is atop the A10. Archie is gonna be a great coach here or anywhere I just dont wanna be the school that missed on him when he is making another program a National power. Kinda like Bennett and even Cal. I know we technically offered Bennett but still a miss.

Not saying he will ever get a look, but I am surprised that Greg Tonagel's, Indiana Wesleyan, name does not get throw around for any high D1 spots. Although it is NAIA Division II, the guy has proven he can coach and win. He also has been successful in getting kids with D1 scholarships/opportunities to come play NAIA ball. As far as up and coming Coaches, seems like he should be right at the top of the list IMO. 

In his 11 season as a head coach, Tonagel has already led Indiana Wesleyan to two national championships (2014 & 2016), five Elite Eight finishes, and eight Crossroads League regular season championships, including seven straight from 2009-15. Tonagel's teams have spent time in the NAIA top-five in each of the last 10 seasons and he was National Coach of the year twice. Despite being a head coach for only 11 seasons, Tonagel is already the winningest coach in the program’s history. He has the highest winning percentage (.784), most wins (301), most postseason victories (21), most national tournament appearances (9), and most Crossroads League regular season championships (8).

Prior to his current position, Tonagel served as Director of Basketball Operations at Valparaiso University, where he played in four NCAA Tournaments. He also led his LaPorte High School team to the last single class state finals in 1997

No way.  No one keeps track of mediocre seasons.  Those Big Ten Championships matter, and go in the record books.  

The thing is that there is a growing body of evidence that Crean has hit his ceiling, and we're going to have the low years without corresponding high years that include better tournament success.

I get your point about the titles and they are nice. I just think being good every year gives us more chances at a real title. Or the very worst were always in the conversation like Wisconsin and MSU each year with a chance at the tourney. I didnt necessarily mean I didnt want those titles over that just that I would be okay if our down years were still tourney years.

4 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Agree. It is like what happened at Marquette. He had that stellar year with D. Wade, but what else? He has done pretty much the same thing here. Even with that, I don't think two sweet sixteens equals a final four. Might be wrong about that though.

I am ready for Tony Bennett.   I would obviously be happy with Stevens or Donovan.  I remember wanting to hate Donovan's FL teams, but always admiring the way that they shared the ball and how he gave his players specific roles.  Stevens is pretty obviously great.  I do remember some games where his Butler guards made me crazy by dribbling the ball for 25 seconds of the shot clock  before jacking up a bad shot, however, it wasn't a consistent issue.  Also, in most of those games he was so outmatched talent wise.  My reasoning for Bennett, is that he is heavily substance over style.  To me the last 9 years, or perhaps the last 6, have been so heavily style over substance that it has been unwatchable.  I don't mind watching the war of attrition that UVA makes other teams engage in.  I firmly believe that, if he came to Indiana, TB would be able to produce a more consistent offense than he has at UVA, but I don't even care.  My top 3 wants for the new coach would be as follows.  1. Discipline/control:  I want a coach who is clearly the man in charge, less of a cheerleader and more of an authority figure.  2. Fundamentally sound Defense.  3. Specific roles for players.  Not everyone can be a primary scoring option.  Not everyone can be a primary ball handler.  Give guys roles based on their strengths and let them flourish by focusing on those objectives.  Thoughts?

Nothing against our boys cause I feel like they deserve to go out with a bang but I just wish this season would come to end today so we move on and find out what the future of our program holds.

3 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

Nothing against our boys cause I feel like they deserve to go out with a bang but I just wish this season would come to end today so we move on and find out what the future of our program holds.

agreed - the season is a bust and can't end soon enough.

I am ready for Tony Bennett.   I would obviously be happy with Stevens or Donovan.  I remember wanting to hate Donovan's FL teams, but always admiring the way that they shared the ball and how he gave his players specific roles.  Stevens is pretty obviously great.  I do remember some games where his Butler guards made me crazy by dribbling the ball for 25 seconds of the shot clock  before jacking up a bad shot, however, it wasn't a consistent issue.  Also, in most of those games he was so outmatched talent wise.  My reasoning for Bennett, is that he is heavily substance over style.  To me the last 9 years, or perhaps the last 6, have been so heavily style over substance that it has been unwatchable.  I don't mind watching the war of attrition that UVA makes other teams engage in.  I firmly believe that, if he came to Indiana, TB would be able to produce a more consistent offense than he has at UVA, but I don't even care.  My top 3 wants for the new coach would be as follows.  1. Discipline/control:  I want a coach who is clearly the man in charge, less of a cheerleader and more of an authority figure.  2. Fundamentally sound Defense.  3. Specific roles for players.  Not everyone can be a primary scoring option.  Not everyone can be a primary ball handler.  Give guys roles based on their strengths and let them flourish by focusing on those objectives.  Thoughts?

There is nothing wrong with Virginia's offense they just play at a slower pace then everybody. The last 4 years they have produced a top 40 offensive efficient team every year (38 this year, 8, 22, and 24). They are a consistently efficient offense just not at a pace that everybody likes

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

There is nothing wrong with Virginia's offense they just play at a slower pace then everybody. The last 4 years they have produced a top 40 offensive efficient team every year (38 this year, 8, 22, and 24). They are a consistently efficient offense just not at a pace that everybody likes

I respect the efficient offense but not liking that offense is more then just it's boring it's that if i was a fan I couldn't stand to see my team lose and never hit 50 points you have to put up points to win in it all, so respect to an efficient offense I just think Bennett needs to find a way to get more positions then.

12 minutes ago, BtownBanner6 said:

I respect the efficient offense but not liking that offense is more then just it's boring it's that if i was a fan I couldn't stand to see my team lose and never hit 50 points you have to put up points to win in it all, so respect to an efficient offense I just think Bennett needs to find a way to get more positions then.

It's not like a 50 point game is normal even for Virginia.  They're averaging close to 70, that's counting a couple recent games where they only scored in the 40s.

How's that any different then watching an offensive oriented team lose 106-92. At the end of the day they are both losses. If I was a fan, I might not be happy we didn't score 50 points but at least the team had a shot to win a ugly game. I've been just as frustrated losing and scoring in 80's or 70's. Just my opinion

It's not like a 50 point game is normal even for Virginia.  They're averaging close to 70, that's counting a couple recent games where they only scored in the 40s.

I'm not saying it is, my only concern is a see then score that low too after for my liking and when they do that for obvious reasons they usually lose those games. I'm not saying I don't want Bennett because I do, and maybe here at IU he can recruit some better offensive playmakers that will help that offense become more explosive, but what he has going at UVA I see a guy that will be Bo Ryan which is always competitive in conference but will never hang the Banner we want.

How's that any different then watching an offensive oriented team lose 106-92. At the end of the day they are both losses. If I was a fan, I might not be happy we didn't score 50 points but at least the team had a shot to win a ugly game. I've been just as frustrated losing and scoring in 80's or 70's. Just my opinion

For one it's more entertaining but however I agree it's more frustrating. I hate that's the way our team is right now and Bennett is a HUGE upgrade but just like my post above I'm weary of Bennett having the ability to win it all until he finds a way to get a better offense which maybe at IU he will, he's earned the chance.

6 minutes ago, BtownBanner6 said:

I'm not saying it is, my only concern is a see then score that low too after for my liking and when they do that for obvious reasons they usually lose those games. I'm not saying I don't want Bennett because I do, and maybe here at IU he can recruit some better offensive playmakers that will help that offense become more explosive, but what he has going at UVA I see a guy that will be Bo Ryan which is always competitive in conference but will never hang the Banner we want.

At the end of the day I don't really care about how many points a team scores.  There are no style points and "fun to watch" doesn't win games.