Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

If the back channels are working correctly they should be looking at Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan. If you can't get either of these then you should be contacting Scott Drew at Baylor. I don't see us having a shot at Jay Wright. Anyone beyond that is a lateral move. 

I prefer to look at a coach's entire body of work. Fans do this every year. Some guy has an outlier season and the fans start to act like he's the answer. Scott Drew would be an awful hire on many fronts. 100% lateral move.

1 minute ago, HoosierTrav said:

I prefer to look at a coach's entire body of work. Fans do this every year. Some guy has an outlier season and the fans start to act like he's the answer. Scott Drew would be an awful hire on many fronts. 100% lateral move.

Agreed; on top of that, I'd think he wouldn't even be considered due to his staff's handling of the Hanner recruitment..

26 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

Yeah I think that a lot of the fans who are angry would've had enough at that point and theyd just be done

Exactly. If Glass can watch the product on the court, see all the empty seats in Assembly Hall, and see the direction recruiting is heading and still keep Crean for next season, then that shows me he isn't serious about wanting IU to be an elite program. Getting mad and still caring at that point would just be a waste of time and energy. 

4 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

I'm not worried about a coach cheating. The NCAA doesn't do anything unless you self report phone call violations.

Sent from my SM-G935P using BtownBanners mobile app

I wonder where we would be had we not self reported. Sampson was a good enough coach I could have seen us hanging another banner 

Exactly. If Glass can watch the product on the court, see all the empty seats in Assembly Hall, and see the direction recruiting is heading and still keep Crean for next season, then that shows me he isn't serious about wanting IU to be an elite program. Getting mad and still caring at that point would just be a waste of time and energy. 

Nope but surf board Fred would have a great seat behind the bench in a half empty assembly hall. I think honestly he probably wants to be elite but is still blinded with crean kool said glasses.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

I'm not worried about a coach cheating. The NCAA doesn't do anything unless you self report phone call violations.

Sent from my SM-G935P using BtownBanners mobile app

"Cheating" recruiting wise doesn't really bother me much. If we have to skirt a few lines to be elite then I'm okay with that. The other top programs are all doing it. I don't want troublemakers though. I want kids that go to class, stay out of trouble, etc. once they get here. 

Not saying I want Jim Larranaga, just saying I want a coach who can take the hand that was dealt by graduation, attrition, injuries, etc. and turn them into a TEAM and do what no one expects.  Winning 10 games in the ACC with recent wins @Virginia and vs Duke.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/greg-cote/article135044029.html

Be that personal Archie Miller who took no one over 6'6" and went to an Elite Eight or Gregg Marshall who takes kids no blue blood wants and goes out and simple wins his conference nearly every year.   A Donovan or Stevens would be great, but it ain't happening folks.  Finding that young next great coach is not that simple.  There are too many borderline good to great coaches out there to compete against for talent.  Give me a coach who understand recruiting the state of Indiana is #1a.  Running a clean ship is #1b and  building a "TEAM" concept centered around Defense is #2. 

19 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I wonder where we would be had we not self reported. Sampson was a good enough coach I could have seen us hanging another banner 

He recruited some really talented players on the court, and I believe he was a good coach. If the scandal had not hit, 2008 could have been a special year.

41 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

"Cheating" recruiting wise doesn't really bother me much. If we have to skirt a few lines to be elite then I'm okay with that. The other top programs are all doing it. I don't want troublemakers though. I want kids that go to class, stay out of trouble, etc. once they get here. 

Like Tommy's boys did a few years ago?

8 minutes ago, schoosier said:

He recruited some really talented players on the court, and I believe he was a good coach. If the scandal had not hit, 2008 could have been a special year.

He had his share of issues with kids, too... Basset, Ellis, Crawford, Holtman and the ever-so-in-shape DeAndre Thomas... lots of issues with weed and downright thuggery...

3 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

He had his share of issues with kids, too... Basset, Ellis, Crawford, Holtman and the ever-so-in-shape DeAndre Thomas... lots of issues with weed and downright thuggery...

No doubt about that, but they were a talented group of players. Ellis had really good ball handling skills for his size and Thomas was a big, big man who could play. Sampson was his own worst enemy, and a little more player vetting combined with less cheating; he would still be here.

Yeah, if you want to ignore drugs, not going to class and having players who are full of themselves to the point that even Don Fischer has said it, then the type of players he brought to IU would be what you are looking for.

23 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Like Tommy's boys did a few years ago?

Yeah those 2012 and 2013 classes had quite a few bad apples. That was my main problem with Sampson too. Crean seems to have moved away from those kind of kids at least, I'll give him that much. I like having guys on the team that I don't have to look past off the court issues to root for. 

Eric Gordon publicly said the decision for him to leave after his freshmen year was made easy because everywhere he looked there were bad things going on. D.J White and Lance Stemler may have been the only ones that werent. Gordon was gone regardless but for him to come out and say it to the media must have meant things were reaaaaallly bad. Who knows maybe someone comes out with stories once Crean leaves. I am sure plenty people have kept their mouth shut to a lot of the incidents.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

Not saying I want Jim Larranaga, just saying I want a coach who can take the hand that was dealt by graduation, attrition, injuries, etc. and turn them into a TEAM and do what no one expects.  Winning 10 games in the ACC with recent wins @Virginia and vs Duke.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/greg-cote/article135044029.html

Be that personal Archie Miller who took no one over 6'6" and went to an Elite Eight or Gregg Marshall who takes kids no blue blood wants and goes out and simple wins his conference nearly every year.   A Donovan or Stevens would be great, but it ain't happening folks.  Finding that young next great coach is not that simple.  There are too many borderline good to great coaches out there to compete against for talent.  Give me a coach who understand recruiting the state of Indiana is #1a.  Running a clean ship is #1b and  building a "TEAM" concept centered around Defense is #2. 

I think we get archie Miller or Holtmann if a change is made

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk