Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

Any chance success in this year's tournament changes opinions on coaching candidate rankings?

For example, say dark horse candidates like Tim Jankovich at SMU or Will Wade at VCU make an Elite 8? Does that push guys like them into consideration?

If someone like Steve Prohm takes Iowa State to the Elite 8, does that sky rocket him to the top of the list? Or if Holtmann takes Butler to a Sweet 16 or Elite 8, I think that should solidify him as our top candidate. Same with Archie Miller at Dayton.

What does another Final Four or Elite 8 for Gregg Marshall do in our consideration?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

9 minutes ago, akhosrof said:

Any chance success in this year's tournament changes opinions on coaching candidate rankings?

For example, say dark horse candidates like Tim Jankovich at SMU or Will Wade at VCU makes an Elite 8? Does that push guys like them into consideration?

If someone like Steve Prohm takes Iowa State to the Elite 8, does that Sky rocket him to the top of the list? Or if Holtmann take Butler to a Sweet 16 or Elite 8, I think that should solidify him as our top candidate. Same with Archie Miller.

What does another Final Four or Elite 8 for Gregg Marshall do in our consideration?

I really, really hope not. 1 magical season is nice, but as we have figured out (Crean), that isn't a recipe for further success. Give me someone who has sustained success over a flash in the pan. Guys like Donovan, Miller, Marshall, Bennett. Those are the guys we should, and have the ability to, go after.

I really, really hope not. 1 magical season is nice, but as we have figured out (Crean), that isn't a recipe for further success. Give me someone who has sustained success over a flash in the pan. Guys like Donovan, Miller, Marshall, Bennett. Those are the guys we should, and have the ability to, go after.

Right, I think for guys like Wade and Jankovich, your point applies. But for guys like Holtmann, Prohm and Archie Miller, a deep tournament run is more of an exclamation point on their résumé than a fluke tournament run.

On the flip side of that, if Sean Miller or Tony Bennett make a Final Four, would they really want to leave their current job?

Outside of Donovan, Marshall is definitely my number one. He is a commanding presence as a head coach, and I don't think it would take him long at all to have us competing for championships. I believe he could have us competing for a B1G championship next year. Not sure you could say that about any of the other realistic candidates.

One of my many thoughts on my 45 minute commute to work this morning:  THIS IS GOING TO BE A FREAKING, CRAZY OFF SEASON ON BTB!!!!

Regardless of how the next few weeks play out, there is so much going on that we will not have a significant off season this year on the site.

#bringontheBTBchaos

9 hours ago, Yogi'sBicep said:

Anybody see Chuck Martins last tweet? 

"Collin Hartman the lone senior was a big reason for success last year and would've made a huge difference this year..." 

Not exact quote, but 90% there.

do these coaches ever think of anything other than excuses? My dad taught me to man up when I'm wrong. 

This Is Chuck's job on the line too. If Crean goes so does he. New coach will bring in his guys. As far as what Hartman brings to the table, I would say a lot. We would have won the FORT WAYNE game that started the downward spiral.  Nebraska would never have been that close to beat us on our home court. His leadership would have made up for some of what coach Crean lacks. With Hartman  we still have plenty of weakness and deficiencies all the way around,  but I think we would have been just good enough to keep Crean's job another year.  

Marshall was my choice 9 years ago when we got Clappy.  Now when he's taken 2 separate teams in two different conferences and not just competed but dominated.  

In 19 seasons (this included) his teams have finished 1st - 10 times (on verge of 11th this year), 2nd - 5 times, 3rd - 1 time, 5th - 1 time, 9th - 1 time.   He has had 8 straight seasons of winning 25+ games.  Been to the NCAA tourney 12 times (on verge of 13th this year).  He's done all this with no one rated higher than #63 by ESPN.  Marshall's biggest detractor is his age, as he turns 54.  

That said, I'd be perfectly happy with Donovan, Miller, Bennett, or Marshall.  All would be serious upgrades over Crean.  

Marshall was my choice 9 years ago when we got Clappy.  Now when he's taken 2 separate teams in two different conferences and not just competed but dominated.  

In 19 seasons (this included) his teams have finished 1st - 10 times (on verge of 11th this year), 2nd - 5 times, 3rd - 1 time, 5th - 1 time, 9th - 1 time.   He has had 8 straight seasons of winning 25+ games.  Been to the NCAA tourney 12 times (on verge of 13th this year).  He's done all this with no one rated higher than #63 by ESPN.  Marshall's biggest detractor is his age, as he turns 54.  

That said, I'd be perfectly happy with Donovan, Miller, Bennett, or Marshall.  All would be serious upgrades over Crean.  

Can we got some analysis of Marshall's SOS? Tournament success has been subpar. Let's not ignore the dude had a team with three NBA players (Early, Vanvleet, Baker), two of which comprised one of the most steady and experienced backcourts in recent history. I'm not impressed by his results. He's a good coach, but I'm just not sold that he's able to move into that next tier.

24 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

This Is Chuck's job on the line too. If Crean goes so does he. New coach will bring in his guys. As far as what Hartman brings to the table, I would say a lot. We would have won the FORT WAYNE game that started the downward spiral.  Nebraska would never have been that close to beat us on our home court. His leadership would have made up for some of what coach Crean lacks. With Hartman  we still have plenty of weakness and deficiencies all the way around,  but I think we would have been just good enough to keep Crean's job another year.  

Stahp

4 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Can we got some analysis of Marshall's SOS? Tournament success has been subpar. Let's not ignore the dude had a team with three NBA players (Early, Vanvleet, Baker), two of which comprised one of the most steady and experienced backcourts in recent history. I'm not impressed by his results. He's a good coach, but I'm just not sold that he's able to move into that next tier.

I agree. Marshall is obviously a good coach looking at his resume, but I'm not sold on him at a power conference school. I would take Stevens, Donovan, Bennett, Archie Miller, Mack or Collins before him

Let Crean coach those Shocker teams and they don't go that far in the tourney and those guys don't develop they way they did and don't make the NBA, just my opinion.

Marshall I think deserves the credit he gets. You can't discredit someone because he had "NBA players" that he coached and developed and they got exposure because they made those runs. MVC is not spewing out NBA players too often, I think Marshall and that team chemistry and system deserve a lot of credit there.

If he can get that much done with those recruits and they can develop over 4 years at an MVC school think what he could do with B1G caliber recruits.

2 hours ago, Hoosier Guy said:

They might honestly finish 13th with Ohio State beating Wisconsin last night. Even if IU were lucky enough to win at home against Northwestern, they're gonna lose on the road to Purdue and Ohio State. IU is gonna be playing on Wednesday in the BTT. Good freakin lord man

...And this the year that I choose to go to the BTT???  IU playing on Wednesday (and probably losing if we are honest with ourselves, given IU's trackrecord in the BTT) and Purdue is going to be the #1 seed...and I am going with a Purdue grad...shoot me now...and someone make sure that CTC is standing beside me...FIRE HIM NOW!

11 minutes ago, Scooter D said:

...And this the year that I choose to go to the BTT???  IU playing on Wednesday (and probably losing if we are honest with ourselves, given IU's trackrecord in the BTT) and Purdue is going to be the #1 seed...and I am going with a Purdue grad...shoot me now...and someone make sure that CTC is standing beside me...FIRE HIM NOW!

Oh man I feel bad for ya. At least you'll get to see the nation's capital. Kush is now legal there so I would suggest that to get through the trip haha

Wear a vest and lets hope its a scatter gun!

Just kidding guys.

2 hours ago, akhosrof said:

Any chance success in this year's tournament changes opinions on coaching candidates?

I hate to say it but this year's team is DOA and a snowball in hell has a better chance of success.