Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

31 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Donovan would be a program turning statement hire that would have IU competing at a high level.

I don't know how he feels about returning to college ball but you'd have to believe he would be interested in Indiana if he were.

I see the problem on the other side with IU not willing to do what needs to be done to get Billy the Kid. I think we see a hire in the up and coming tier. Hopefully the people who make the hire have done their homework.

If we go up and coming with this hire then it needs to be made clear to Glass that if another new basketball coach is needed a new AD will be doing the hiring 

Time to rip off the bandaid and let Crean go. This is the year if any to make a change especially since Crean doesn't have a promising recruiting class coming in. My head coaches in the order I'd want them:

Brad Stevens (maybe not likely but have to make the call)

Billy D (would check every box as a coach  we could have as IU fans, instant star power)

Steve Alford (would recruit the shit out of the state)

Archie Miller (Young and has had tournament success. Teams play extremely hard and physical and seems to be a good in-game coach)

I think they land one of the 4.

Guys I would NOT want

Gregg Marshall (looks too much like Crean I'd have PTSD)

Mark Few (what conference is Gonzaga in again?)

Northwestern's coach 

Tony Bennett (good coach, much better than Crean, but something about him I can't get super excited about)

Xavier fan here.  I'm suprised I have not seen Chris Macks name not even mentioned.  Don't get me wrong,I'm glad, and I would hate to lose him.  But every year for the past 4 he is mentioned as a top group/leader type candidate for every open position.  I realize IU is blue blood and in a category of their own.

HAS MACKS NAME BEEN MENTIONED AT ALL BY ANYONE IN THE ADMIN, ANYONE WITH SOURCES?  Id appreciate any info.  

I do wish you guys good luck, and hope you find the perfect fit....not Mack though ;)

13 minutes ago, jaxalum said:

Xavier fan here.  I'm suprised I have not seen Chris Macks name not even mentioned.  Don't get me wrong,I'm glad, and I would hate to lose him.  But every year for the past 4 he is mentioned as a top group/leader type candidate for every open position.  I realize IU is blue blood and in a category of their own.

HAS MACKS NAME BEEN MENTIONED AT ALL BY ANYONE IN THE ADMIN, ANYONE WITH SOURCES?  Id appreciate any info.  

I do wish you guys good luck, and hope you find the perfect fit....not Mack though ;)

He's been mentioned, along with Archie and Holtmann and C. Collins, mostly in a "2nd" group of guys after the dream candidates (primarily Stevens and Donovan and, for some, Marshall). Maybe both Mack and Archie are waiting to see what Thad Matta's going to do in Columbus?

1 hour ago, sierracoach said:

He's been mentioned, along with Archie and Holtmann and C. Collins, mostly in a "2nd" group of guys after the dream candidates (primarily Stevens and Donovan and, for some, Marshall). Maybe both Mack and Archie are waiting to see what Thad Matta's going to do in Columbus?

Archies dream job is OSU, he's worked there, and Matta is not doing to well on the court and physically(back).  We have been hearing for years that Archie has been holding out for OSU, and its essentially a done deal when Matta decides to resign.  Now, can he say no to a job offer from a team in the same conference, but that's a blue blood with infinite amounts of history, a true destination job.  Archie will be more expensive than everyone else besides your top tier guys, which I don't understand, as Mack has been to 3 Sweet 16s, and the tournament every year he's been here ( I think it's the Miller name that commands $/we had Sean for 6 years and it was so worth every $).  Mack has great recruiting connections all over Indiana/the tri state area(is one of the better recruiters in college basketball) .  Mack will only consider a handful of schools (he's turned down everyone from Cal to Tennessee to Florida).  Those schools are rumored to be Louisville, IU, OSU, and I'm assuming if Duke or Carolina called, he would consider taking that call;)

This is not meant to offend in any way, but do IU people "in the know"/AD personnel, feel that Stevens and Donovan are legitimate possibilities, two NBA coaches that have reached the top of their profession, or just emotional reactions to a dissapointing year by an unpopular coach?  I'm an ex Bostonian as of last year (lived there for 8 years) and Stevens was immediatedly taken in and accepted by Boston fans immediately(I'm not sure I've ever heard of ANYONE not liking Brad Stevens), and has remained extremely popular, even through the tough years.  But, if he ever wanted to come back to college, with ALL his connections to Indiana(growing up/playing ball at Depauw/coaching), he's been a Hoosier his whole life,  its not a far reaching assumption that coaching IU would absolutely have to be his absolute dream job, #1 destination and choice/a "last" type of position.  Could his youth affect his decision?  What I mean is at 40, will he want the same job for the next 35 years? Or would he want to finish rebuilding the Celts, exhaust the potential there, and then "come home" to Bloomington to finish his career (at 60 he will still look 15 yrs old). 

Holtman, Collins, and Marshall would be gimmes for you guys (Holtman has really impressed me the last couple of years, both as a game coach and recruiter)  He was winning with 2* players when he first took over and has an eye for talent even if they lack "stars".

Is Crean definitely going to be fired after the season or do they give him one more year (you were #2 early on)?  You have W's over 2 potentially #1 seeds, and haven't you had injury problems as well?

4 minutes ago, jaxalum said:

Archies dream job is OSU, he's worked there, and Matta is not doing to well on the court and physically(back).  We have been hearing for years that Archie has been holding out for OSU, and its essentially a done deal when Matta decides to resign.  Now, can he say no to a job offer from a team in the same conference, but that's a blue blood with infinite amounts of history, a true destination job.  Archie will be more expensive than everyone else besides your top tier guys, which I don't understand, as Mack has been to 3 Sweet 16s, and the tournament every year he's been here ( I think it's the Miller name that commands $/we had Sean for 6 years and it was so worth every $).  Mack has great recruiting connections all over Indiana/the tri state area(is one of the better recruiters in college basketball) .  Mack will only consider a handful of schools (he's turned down everyone from Cal to Tennessee to Florida).  Those schools are rumored to be Louisville, IU, OSU, and I'm assuming if Duke or Carolina called, he would consider taking that call;)

This is not meant to offend in any way, but do IU people "in the know"/AD personnel, feel that Stevens and Donovan are legitimate possibilities, two NBA coaches that have reached the top of their profession, or just emotional reactions to a dissapointing year by an unpopular coach?  I'm an ex Bostonian as of last year (lived there for 8 years) and Stevens was immediatedly taken in and accepted by Boston fans immediately(I'm not sure I've ever heard of ANYONE not liking Brad Stevens), and has remained extremely popular, even through the tough years.  But, if he ever wanted to come back to college, with ALL his connections to Indiana(growing up/playing ball at Depauw/coaching), he's been a Hoosier his whole life,  its not a far reaching assumption that coaching IU would absolutely have to be his absolute dream job, #1 destination and choice/a "last" type of position.  Could his youth affect his decision?  What I mean is at 40, will he want the same job for the next 35 years? Or would he want to finish rebuilding the Celts, exhaust the potential there, and then "come home" to Bloomington to finish his career (at 60 he will still look 15 yrs old). 

Holtman, Collins, and Marshall would be gimmes for you guys (Holtman has really impressed me the last couple of years, both as a game coach and recruiter)  He was winning with 2* players when he first took over and has an eye for talent even if they lack "stars".

Is Crean definitely going to be fired after the season or do they give him one more year (you were #2 early on)?  You have W's over 2 potentially #1 seeds, and haven't you had injury problems as well?

Great post! We've had injury problems for 9 years. It could be a product of tempo, practice, strain, or bad luck - something is consistent though. Plethroas of boots, ankle sprains, and knee problems. I agree that we aren't the diamond of Millers' eye. Mack is almost a ghost in the CBB world in my eyes, for the success he's had I never hear his name much. Stevens is the dream that is not dry to every Hoosier fan. Donovan seems to be in rumors everywhere, it may just be popular trend. I think Donovan is an actual possibility. Marshall, Collins, and Holtmann just aren't the sexy pick that can reunite the fanbase, which should be a thought in the administrations mind. I am scared they don't want a coach who has more power than they do, again. Although, everyone on this board is ignoring me when I say that Hoiberg is the goat. He should be the next coach. Hoiberg gang.  

From 96.9 Mike Bianchi on 96.9am this morning. FWIW "I know people who know Billy Donovan and he is not happy right now in OKC." Billy Donovan thought the OKC Job with Durant was a once in a lifetime opportunity but now it is just another job. Bianchi thinks that Donovan will end up back in the NCAA in "a year or two". However, Bianchi, who originally thought it would be at IU, does not think that Tom Crean will get fired after this year; thus Donovan will not end up here. He finished up by reiterating that he thinks there is a "real opportunity" that Donovan ends up in the NCAA next year. 

Sounded like the chances of Donovan being at IU next year being "very good" was really more of a belief that Donovan will end up in the NCAA somewhere in a year or two but not necessarily at IU. Just passing along what he said. 

I'm against Chris Mack due to the incidents with thug players in the years leading up to and including the Crosstown Brawl with Cincinnati. I don't want any part of him.

FIRE HIM! This is embarrassing

Adding to this, I know Crean backed off of Paul Scruggs once he transferred to Prolific Prep. Crean has pretty much steered clear of those types of schools. Not sure if Glass would want to hire a coach who's connected to that sort of recruiting. I don't know anything about Mack. I'm just guessing...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yeah I've also seen stuff about Archie going to Ohio State when Matta is gone. I just really hope it's Stevens or Donovan. The administration can't be scared off due to the stature of their names. They should know basketball will always rule IU. That's the first thing anyone thinks of when discussing IU athletics. It's time to make a hefty mama type splash and get our next great coach. It's been almost TWO decades since IU has been taken seriously. Time for this crap to end

Let me just be clear, I hate my gut.  But it is telling me after all we've seen from Glass that Crean is back next yr.  As far as a new coach, I can definitely see Glass hiring what everyone thinks is a "2nd tier" candidate.   I just have no faith he wants a banner like "we" do.  I'm gonna go eat rat poison now.

What is with these media guys thinking crean wont get fired? This will get ugly if they bring him back imo

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

It's truly insane. He has been here 9 years. We know what we have. He has gotten us out of the depths, I'll give him that, but as far as taking us to the next step, he has failed. This was the year to finally show everyone and he has failed miserably.

Say what you want about injuries (why do we have so many every freaking year?), but the wheels were falling off way before that was an issue. I've said for years that Crean can't handle success. Some of his worst years were when expectations are high.

The team takes on the personality of its coach. We are a rudderless mess unless we have a strong leader to lean on because Crean certainly isn't doing it.

7 minutes ago, bigrod said:

It's truly insane. He had been here 9 years. We know what we have. He has gotten us out of the depths, I'll give him that, but as far as taking us to the next step, he had failed. This was the year to finally show everyone and he has failed miserably.

Say what you want about injuries (why do we have so many every freaking year?), but the wheels were falling off way before that was an issue. I've said for years that Crean can't handle success. Some of his worst years were when expectations are high.

The team takes on the personality of its coach. We are a rudderless mess unless we have a strong leader to lean on because Crean certainly isn't doing it.

Absolutely correct - more than sufficient data is known on CTC's coaching ability.  If I recall correctly, one thing Glass mentioned in his "assessment" of Crean a couple of years ago was about recruiting.  No one can deny that recruiting is a significant factor in team success and ours has fallen off dramatically and is definitely trending downward.

Even IF the evidence wasn't clear (and it is), the situation is irreparable at this point.  Glass can do what must be done or prolong the inevitable.