Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

I would love to see a strong finish. While not the norm for Crean teams, we did finish well Cody's freshman year which propelled us to a strong start to the following year. Unfortunately that year we also finished poorly.

I agree that we seem to have improved on the defensive side and that will help carry us when the offense struggles.

IU not dropping off in Cody's freshmen year was probably due to Matt Roth.  I believe I posted my story about a year ago (probably during IUs most recent annual meltdown), and I wish I could figure out how to search my posts and just simply repost it here....it's one of the few times I actually had some "insider" knowledge to contribute.  Well long story short...

My GF and I attended the UM vs IU game back in 2013.  After the game we stuck around and got on the court.  A lot of times, if you stick around for an hour or so after the game you get to meet the players (their families come to the game, players come out and visit with the family...I tag along).  Anyways, while we were waiting, my GF started chatting up a relative of one of our four year starters on that team.  Eventually, the relative, with literally no prompting, mentioned she was worried that the team is getting too worn out.  But most interestingly was that she mentioned specifically, Crean makes the players practice too hard, not only during "regular" practices, but also, on game day(!). She stated the only person that ever stood up to Crean and told him to chill was Matt Roth.  Now that he was gone, she was afraid they'd be worn out for the tournament.  I would have liked to get more info from her, but eventually her grandson and the other players came out to visit.  My GF proceeded to fall in love with her grandson, and I had to pry her away.  But whatevs, got her more interested in IU BBALL (she had been more of a State fan-->she went to school in Michigan so it's forgivable).  What's most important from this story is Crean used to/perhaps still does run his players down as the season progresses, and my GF now follows IU BBall. 

I think Roth still has a year of eligibility remaining. We have a scholarship open. Hmmm.....wouldn't THAT be something?

Yeah I know it's not going to happen.

He already has his masters. Would not be easy.

I think Roth still has a year of eligibility remaining. We have a scholarship open. Hmmm.....wouldn't THAT be something?

Yeah I know it's not going to happen.

Just a question pertaining to your statement, I always thought that that were also a span of time that was available to complete your eligible years. Am I incorrect?

Just a question pertaining to your statement, I always thought that that were also a span of time that was available to complete your eligible years. Am I incorrect?

You are correct. I can't remember the exact time frame off the top of my head though.

IU not dropping off in Cody's freshmen year was probably due to Matt Roth. I believe I posted my story about a year ago (probably during IUs most recent annual meltdown), and I wish I could figure out how to search my posts and just simply repost it here....it's one of the few times I actually had some "insider" knowledge to contribute. Well long story short...

My GF and I attended the UM vs IU game back in 2013. After the game we stuck around and got on the court. A lot of times, if you stick around for an hour or so after the game you get to meet the players (their families come to the game, players come out and visit with the family...I tag along). Anyways, while we were waiting, my GF started chatting up a relative of one of our four year starters on that team. Eventually, the relative, with literally no prompting, mentioned she was worried that the team is getting too worn out. But most interestingly was that she mentioned specifically, Crean makes the players practice too hard, not only during "regular" practices, but also, on game day(!). She stated the only person that ever stood up to Crean and told him to chill was Matt Roth. Now that he was gone, she was afraid they'd be worn out for the tournament. I would have liked to get more info from her, but eventually her grandson and the other players came out to visit. My GF proceeded to fall in love with her grandson, and I had to pry her away. But whatevs, got her more interested in IU BBALL (she had been more of a State fan-->she went to school in Michigan so it's forgivable). What's most important from this story is Crean used to/perhaps still does run his players down as the season progresses, and my GF now follows IU BBall.

I remember your story. It matches what a lot of broadcasters would say when they watched practice the day before and the joked about how hard we went at it during the walk through.

Stephen Bardo was asked the year after we lost in the sweet sixteen if he thought Crean wore the team out. He repeated some of what you shared and echoed the effort our players put out in practices.

Kelvin Sampson commented to one of his assistants (Dakich) that Creans teams were known to wear out at the end of the year.

Hopeful this is an area where he has learned over time and has a better plan.

Bozich article link:

BOZICH | One secret to Indiana's success? Those $3 gardening gloves
Posted: Jan 23, 2016 4:24 PM EST
Updated: Jan 23, 2016 4:56 PM EST
By Rick BozichCONNECT

Collin Hartman, Max Bieldfeldt and Yogi Ferrell discussed Indiana's 12th straight win.
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (WDRB) – Tom Crean was neither pleased nor impressed with the way his Indiana University basketball team was handling the basketball.

Crean was not booing the sloppy turnovers, but let’s be honest: Indiana fans were. It wasn't unusual for IU to kick the ball away 20 times.

So Crean invested in several things: A box of $3 cloth gardening gloves and a stopwatch.

He told his players they needed to show him that they could dribble, pass and catch the basketball crisply while wearing those cheap gloves. Keep wearing them and figure it out. Get control of the ball and yourself.

When they didn’t? They ran. Crean gave his guys a limit of 12 turnovers in road games and nine during home games. Exceed those totals and it was time for a running drill that Crean cooked up at Marquette. He calls it "17."

Get on the line and sprint. From one side of the court to the other. Do it 17 times. And do it in less than 65 seconds.

“Coach has been telling us that for us to be a great team and for us to be able to win, we can’t turn the ball over,” said Yogi Ferrell, IU’s senior point guard. "We had three in practice once. It was a tough day."

This is the way the Hoosiers have responded: In their last two games Indiana has delivered more three-point field goals than turnovers.

They made 13 threes and only 10 turnovers while defeating Northwestern, 89-57, Saturday in Assembly Hall. It was Indiana’s 12th straight win overall and seventh straight in Big Ten play. They owe their coach one "17."

Somebody get Calbert Cheaney on the phone. Send a text message to Damon Bailey.

Ask your mother or uncle how those guys played college basketball. They’ve been gone from Indiana University for more than two decades.

That’s how long it’s been since the Hoosiers had won seven consecutive Big Ten games – 1993.

Victor Oladipo couldn’t do it. Cody Zeller couldn’t do it. Eric Gordon couldn’t do it. Jared Jeffries, A. J. Guyton or Brian Evans? No, no, no.

Ferrell, Collin Hartman, Thomas Bryant and the rest of Crean’s surging team have now done it.

“I knew we had a lot of talent,” IU forward Max Bielfeldt said. “With this little streak, we’ve had, I think it’s beginning to show.”

Consider this victory additional proof the Hoosiers are sharing the ball, shooting the ball and defending the ball better than anybody watching in Bankers Life Fieldhouse thought was possible when Indiana fans were booing this team as it trailed Notre Dame by 16 points in the second half five weeks ago.

Even John Mellencamp’s latest Uptown Girl, Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition cover girl Christie Brinkley, was up and cheering for nearly two hours.

“The more simple we can make our passing and the more active we are in our cutting the better we are,” Crean said. “These guys were too good to be giving the ball back like that.”

Take another look at the standings: The Hoosiers sit a half-game ahead of Iowa (6-0) atop the Big Ten.

The grind of the schedule awaits, beginning with a trip to Wisconsin Tuesday night. IU has only beaten two teams – Ohio State and Nebraska – currently in the first division of the Big Ten.

But that’s a story for next week.

Today this team looks capable and determined to slug it out with Iowa, Maryland, Purdue and Michigan State at the top of the league.

“I feel like we have a lot of confidence, especially on the defensive end,” Ferrell said.

Some teams have to manufacture the No Respect card. Indiana was drawing that card from both sides of the deck after the Hoosiers finished sixth in the Maui Invitational and followed that performance with a 20-point loss at Duke.

This game was similar to the last two that Indiana played at home when the Hoosiers overpowered Ohio State and Illinois. They led 10-0. They never trailed.

Shooting? James Blackmon Jr. is out for the season after surgery on his right knee, but Crean has shooters. Seven players scored from distance, four days after nine IU players made three-point shots in the Illinois victory Tuesday.

That list included the usual suspects – Robert Johnson, Ferrell and Hartman all scored three times from distance. It also included two unusual suspects – freshman forward Juwan Morgan as well as senior walk-on Ryan Burton, the transfer from Bellarmine. (Nick Zeisloft and Max Bielfeldt were the others.)

In its last two home games, Indiana has made half of its three-point field goal attempts – 19 of 36 against Illinois and 13 of 28 against Northwestern.

“It’s amazing the level the confidence gets when the ball goes in the basket and when their teammates want it to go in the basket,” Crean said.

Their scoring was balanced. Ferrell led IU with 17 points, but seven others scored at least seven. Their defense showed no

similarities to the defense they played over the opening month of the season. For the seventh consecutive game, Indiana limited a Big Ten opponent to less than one point per possession.

Is there more work to do?

There is always more work to do. Reducing turnovers. They'll run extra for their coach in the next practice.

“It’s all mindset,” Hartman said. “You’ve got to come in being aggressive. The Big Ten is a tough league.”

Wisconsin awaits. The Hoosiers defeated the Badgers, 59-58, in Assembly Hall on Jan. 5. But Indiana has lost 13 consecutive games in Madison, a streak that started with Bob Knight, accelerated with Mike Davis, continued with Kelvin Sampson and has not disappeared under Crean.

Another chance for Indiana to break out the gloves.

Slug it out with Michigan State at the top of the league, they are below Nebraska.  They are in the bottom half of the Big Ten standings with 4 losses.  And either they win tonight and we have a 2 game lead on everybody except iowa, or they lose and they have 5 losses.

IU not dropping off in Cody's freshmen year was probably due to Matt Roth.  I believe I posted my story about a year ago (probably during IUs most recent annual meltdown), and I wish I could figure out how to search my posts and just simply repost it here....it's one of the few times I actually had some "insider" knowledge to contribute.  Well long story short...

My GF and I attended the UM vs IU game back in 2013.  After the game we stuck around and got on the court.  A lot of times, if you stick around for an hour or so after the game you get to meet the players (their families come to the game, players come out and visit with the family...I tag along).  Anyways, while we were waiting, my GF started chatting up a relative of one of our four year starters on that team.  Eventually, the relative, with literally no prompting, mentioned she was worried that the team is getting too worn out.  But most interestingly was that she mentioned specifically, Crean makes the players practice too hard, not only during "regular" practices, but also, on game day(!). She stated the only person that ever stood up to Crean and told him to chill was Matt Roth.  Now that he was gone, she was afraid they'd be worn out for the tournament.  I would have liked to get more info from her, but eventually her grandson and the other players came out to visit.  My GF proceeded to fall in love with her grandson, and I had to pry her away.  But whatevs, got her more interested in IU BBALL (she had been more of a State fan-->she went to school in Michigan so it's forgivable).  What's most important from this story is Crean used to/perhaps still does run his players down as the season progresses, and my GF now follows IU BBall. 

LOL - I told one of my RI's that he was going too hard on us one day and it didn't go very well for me either....

I remember your story. It matches what a lot of broadcasters would say when they watched practice the day before and the joked about how hard we went at it during the walk through.

Stephen Bardo was asked the year after we lost in the sweet sixteen if he thought Crean wore the team out. He repeated some of what you shared and echoed the effort our players put out in practices.

Kelvin Sampson commented to one of his assistants (Dakich) that Creans teams were known to wear out at the end of the year.

Hopeful this is an area where he has learned over time and has a better plan.

Kelvin Sampson, Really?????? I could not care less what that scum bag said! How about not cheating?? How about not putting your school on sanctions!!

Kelvin Sampson, Really?????? I could not care less what that scum bag said! How about not cheating?? How about not putting your school on sanctions!!

Yeah bc extra phone calls, which aren't illegal anymore, completely makes everything he says for the rest of his life worth nothing... It wasn't just Sampson that said that about Crean. Announcers have said it. Marquette fans complained about it. IU fans have seen it happen almost every single year.

You're damn right everything, an I mean EVERYTHING that Sampson says for the rest of his life regarding basketball is worth nothing. Even if it is true when someone else says it. Phone calls that were illegal when he made them, and he knew it. Bringing in McGee, Thomas, Bassett, Ellis, Holman. Drugs, no academics.

If he said it, I don't give a flying f**k.

Lol. Well ok then. :)