Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

Fred Glass Vote of Confidence - 3/27/15

March 27, 2015 - Fred Glass sent a vote of confidence to the IndyStar backing Coach Crean.  Let's see what he said...

"My goals for this program are to perenially contend for and to win multiple Big Ten championships, regularly go deep in the NCAA tournament and win our next national championship,"

"Coach Crean's status should be based on his ability to achieve those goals going forward, not what he has or hasn't done in the past. Because I believe in the team he has assembled and is assembling, his leadership of it and their ability to start achieving our program goals, I continue to support Tom Crean as our coach."

"Tom Crean is the coach here because I believe the future is bright and he can lead us to our goals, not because of the buyout in that contract," Glass said.

"Coach Crean has five years on his contract," Glass said. "I don't expect him to go anywhere, and I don't want him to go anywhere."

Fast forward to March 11, 2017 and let's see where things are now.

- We did not contend for the B1G Championship

- We did not go deep in the NCAA tournament

- We are certainly not going to win a National Championship.

- Glass believed in the team he was assembling (in 2016 that was true).  I still think part of the reason he was retained in 2015 was the roster we had in 2016 assuming Yogi was returning.  Had the opportunity to succeed last year.  I don't think he can have that same outlook for next year and the year after.  No Burger boys coming here now.

I like Crean as a person, feel horrible for what that Maryland fan yelled at him, nobody deserves that.  I want to thank Tom Crean for his contributions to Indiana Basketball and part ways IF.  and I mean IFFFFF we can land Donovan, Marshall, Bennett, Collins, Archie or Sean Miller.  If those coaches aren't available, I expect and support the decision to bring Crean back another year.  I don't want to get into bed with someone not named above for the next 5 years if we don't have too.  

Make a change regardless. Dont go down with a sinking ship. Recruiting at Indiana is over for Crean at this point. He isnt going to be able to land quality recruits moving forward here. So start fresh regardless, keep the buyout manageable if you dont get "your guy". 

A bad hire results in three more years of letting the ship sink. Crean would have one more year at most.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The only legit option that could change this time of next year is Billy D. With Westbrook situation unfolding it could make it easier for him to leave. They could also get Blake Griffin this offseason and make things even better. A lot of Thunder fans already want him gone now so if he doesnt leave this year and next year they dont make a run at a top 4 seed he could be fired. Another reason I think this year makes more sense. Mike White, Chris Collins, Brad Underwood, Chris Beard, Will Wade, Steve Prohm, Kevin Keatts and Archie as well as Bryce Drew are the only guys that could become big names and IMO they have mostly shown enough now to make a move towards them another year wont make much difference. If we cant find the guy this year dont just keep Crean I would rather grab one of those guys now and let him grow with the program.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

March 27, 2015 - Fred Glass sent a vote of confidence to the IndyStar backing Coach Crean.  Let's see what he said...

"My goals for this program are to perenially contend for and to win multiple Big Ten championships, regularly go deep in the NCAA tournament and win our next national championship,"
"Coach Crean's status should be based on his ability to achieve those goals going forward, not what he has or hasn't done in the past. Because I believe in the team he has assembled and is assembling, his leadership of it and their ability to start achieving our program goals, I continue to support Tom Crean as our coach."
"Tom Crean is the coach here because I believe the future is bright and he can lead us to our goals, not because of the buyout in that contract," Glass said.
"Coach Crean has five years on his contract," Glass said. "I don't expect him to go anywhere, and I don't want him to go anywhere."

Fast forward to March 11, 2017 and let's see where things are now.
- We did not contend for the B1G Championship
- We did not go deep in the NCAA tournament
- We are certainly not going to win a National Championship.
- Glass believed in the team he was assembling (in 2016 that was true).  I still think part of the reason he was retained in 2015 was the roster we had in 2016 assuming Yogi was returning.  Had the opportunity to succeed last year.  I don't think he can have that same outlook for next year and the year after.  No Burger boys coming here now.
I like Crean as a person, feel horrible for what that Maryland fan yelled at him, nobody deserves that.  I want to thank Tom Crean for his contributions to Indiana Basketball and part ways IF.  and I mean IFFFFF we can land Donovan, Marshall, Bennett, Collins, Archie or Sean Miller.  If those coaches aren't available, I expect and support the decision to bring Crean back another year.  I don't want to get into bed with someone not named above for the next 5 years if we don't have too.  

I would not support the decision to bring him back. He had his chance and nothing will change. He is what he is.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

A bad hire results in three more years of letting the ship sink. Crean would have one more year at most.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Waiting a year and making a bad hire sets us back 4 years. There is no viable option for keeping Crean. Just bc you wait doesnt mean the AD wont screw up. If you wait a year OSU is likely open. Thats a conference opponent with more $$$. Cuse, Duke, UNC could all be open at any point going forward. This is the year where IU can be the top job out there.  

Waiting a year and making a bad hire sets us back 4 years. There is no viable option for keeping Crean. Just bc you wait doesnt mean the AD wont screw up. If you wait a year OSU is likely open. Thats a conference opponent with more $$$. Cuse, Duke, UNC could all be open at any point going forward. This is the year where IU can be the top job out there.  

Syracuse already has Boeheim's replacement set after next year right? I could be making that up but I thought that was the plan. And I wouldn't be worried about OSU. IU is a better job and could pay as much as any school in the nation I would think. (I don't think we should wait either though)

6 hours ago, IU Hoosier41 said:

Agree 1000%. But Who you thinking then?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Great and fair question...but I don't follow it closely enough to have the answer.   There's a winner out there somewhere...might be a DII guy?  Might be from some small conference?   Brad Stevens was a nobody until he became the coach at Butler.  Nobody had ever heard of him.  That guy's out there somewhere....  But I want a genius.  Defensive?  Offensive?   I want a guy who can both game plan and adjust.  Sorry for the cop out!

Great and fair question...but I don't follow it closely enough to have the answer.   There's a winner out there somewhere...might be a DII guy?  Might be from some small conference?   Brad Stevens was a nobody until he became the coach at Butler.  Nobody had ever heard of him.  That guy's out there somewhere....  But I want a genius.  Defensive?  Offensive?   I want a guy who can both game plan and adjust.  Sorry for the cop out!

In other words he wants to find the next Bobby Knight or Coach K.

I agree completely. It doesn't need to be a name brand person, but the search committee needs to do it's job brilliantly and find someone special that can last.

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

In other words he wants to find the next Bobby Knight or Coach K.

I agree completely. It doesn't need to be a name brand person, but the search committee needs to do it's job brilliantly and find someone special that can last.

That coach is sitting is Wichita Kansas right now. 2nd best coach behind K, in college today.  Coaches both sides of the ball af a high level. 

My gut tells me Collins, Archie, Holtman would do ok here but not brilliantly. We all want a great coach who teaches the game the right way and motivates but ultimately if you can't be a stellar recruiter, you will always be looking up at the top. Marshall and BD are the only ones I personally believe are sure bets. Bennett would make IU into the next Wisconsin, which isn't bad but it isn't great either imo. Sean would be great but no reason for him to leave AZ. Who else is there? Of course there is an unheralded coach out there who could turn into a legend here but I think Glass wants to get as sure a hire as possible because if the program continues to slide he will be on his way out within 3-4 years. You can't let the Indiana Hoosiers basketball program stink for a decade and expect to keep your job.