Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ViaSwiss

Statistical comparisons of Crean vs Alford

I welcome any statistical comparison of Crean vs Alford in this thread.

I believe that Alford is a similar coach to Crean. However I am hoping some statistical analysis will show me that Alford is superior.

Alford recruits Indiana much better than Crean does. I think Alford has 7 staff/players on his roster that are from Indiana.

-----

OldFriend posted this in another thread.

Let's look at the Alford thing a little more closely.   I don't care what level a coach comes from.  I want to know what he can do and whether or not he can recruit the right kind of kids and win.  So let's break this down a little bit.  (And yes, I know Crean gets a breakfast pass for his first 2 (no...not 3) seasons at Indiana.

Alford .667 overall winning %    Crean .608

Alford 6 conference titles, 18 Top 4 conference finishes   Crean  3 conference titles, 7 top 4 finishes

Alford  9 seasons with single digit losses including a 31-1 season.  Crean  5 seasons with single digit losses, best of 27-6.

Alford  Seventeen 20-win seasons.  Crean  Nine 20-win seasons.

Neither have had much post-season success; but Alford at Indiana seems a better fit than Crean.  is it a home run?  No.  But I don't think we'll ever get a home run hire on the surface.  We may get a coach who turns into one.  Indiana needs someone who understands where he is; and Alford will absolutely recruit Indiana and the surrounding area better than Crean will; and that by itself translates into some degree of success.  Alford took over an Iowa program that had been mediocre forever; and maintained it, basically.  But his final season, he was 25-9 and never missed the post season after year 1.  Crean missed the post season in year 6.   Iowa has always been Iowa.  No matter who the coach was,  Alford's 25-9 season there in 2006-2007 was Iowa's best since 1983, so he made SOME progress.  Crean was the coach when IU pulled out from under Sampson, but he took 4 seasons to even be decent.  That should never happen at Indiana, and the fact he gets a free pass for the 3rd season infuriates me.   

Anyway, I don't think Alford would be as bad HERE as some of you.  I think the circumstances and locale matter....and I also think we need an Indiana guy in that seat.

Old Friends info shows Alford to be more consistent. Plenty of info there to show that Alford is better than Crean. The margin of difference and how that translates to IU is uncertain

That information is all skewed by the different schools they both coached at. KenPom numbers are all adjusted to account for competition. Comparing straight up win-loss records is not going to create an accurate picture.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

17 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

So the author 'knows Tom Crean gets a breakfast pass' for his first two years at Indiana, but includes them anyway?  Hmmm.....

BTW, if Steve Alford entered Iowa as a mediocre program, he left it as a mediocre program with a former coach who tried to influence rape charges of players.

Iowa was better prior to SA than it was while he was the coach there.