Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

James Blackmon Jr. day to day

Anyone else think JBJ is pulling a Vonleh and sitting out not bc he can't play but bc he wants to safeguard his future bc this season is tanked? The tone of Crean's announcement is just odd/awkward. He typically gets more emotional about stuff like that -- it seems robotic and cold to me.

Anyone else think JBJ is pulling a Vonleh and sitting out not bc he can't play but bc he wants to safeguard his future bc this season is tanked? The tone of Crean's announcement is just odd/awkward. He typically gets more emotional about stuff like that -- it seems robotic and cold to me.

I mean that could be a theory, but idk.... I mean we all know he wants his money and to be in the league....but I don't see him being selfish like that at all. Again I could be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, Rookie33 said:

I would certainly hope not. But Noah did it because the team was going nowhere and wanted to protect his draft stock. James could very well be doing the same. Like I said, I hope not but it wouldn't surprise me

I'm not sure I can remember a season that started with such promise and now is slowly circling the drain. Injuries to key players just can't be overcome. I never want to see a kid get hurt, ours or anyone else's. Here's hoping, for his sake, that he recovers quickly and goes on to pursue his dreams.

13 minutes ago, Rookie33 said:

I don't. Right now his draft status is 'undrafted' so it's not like he can hurt it by playing a little banged up and underperforming. With OG out he has had an increased role which would help him improve his stock. I could see him sitting out with a relatively minor injury because he wants to be cautious. Given his injury history that would make sense and be the smart thing to do. But his basketball future beyond IU isn't all that bright unless he's down to play internationally. I can't see him giving up the rest of his college career for that. His goal is the NBA and sitting out doesn't help him get there. 

14 minutes ago, Rookie33 said:

That's just stupid. Vonleh established himself as a lottery pick, Blackmon hasn't even established himself as someone who would get drafted. He would gain nothing from sitting out. Jesus. Sometimes I wish we had a dislike button. 

20 minutes ago, Rookie33 said:

Yeah, I don't think thats what is happening here.

When I was told about it I didn't think it was that serious. IU releasing a statement tells me otherwise...

EDIT: This was a bad assumption on my part. 1) I didn't see the first half due to a group meeting so I hadn't even seen the play. 2) Re-reading the text "James banged up his knee again." didn't really alarm me when...3) I saw him playing in the second half and thought he exited the game because it was a blowout.

22 minutes ago, Rookie33 said:

If healthy, JBJ would've been better off getting his 20+ pts/game and shooting IU into a couple extra wins. That would've given him the best chance at getting an NBA team to pick him 2nd round over some Croatian with 'potential'.

11 minutes ago, IUfan_Charlie said:

Sometimes I wish we had a dislike button. 

Oh the irony.

If JBJ agrees to be stashed in the d league which is becoming popular from teams he could be picked pretty early 2nd round. I wouldn't pay much attention to mocks with him. The 2nd round is usually never close to mock drafts. A team strictly needing shooting will take him.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, AZ Hoosier said:

No clue about what the injury is/may be... but I will ask this again... what is going on in Bloomington re: leg/knee injuries? I keep hearing how well conditioned these guys are, and I fully understand that sometimes injuries "just happen" freakishly or otherwise... but Blackmon has missed playing time for at least 3 knee related injuries... Hartman has had two, OG is currently out for a knee issue... going all the way back to Mo Creek and his freak knee injury...

Being an old guy I remember a lot of key injuries that really cost IU. Maybe two NCAA championships. Knight was coach then. They practiced pretty hard I bet. Randy Whitman, Mike Woodson, Alen Henderson and of ourse Scott May. I'm not sure intense training or intense practices are good for college basketball players.

As much crap as we give James, I really feel bad for the kid. What is that now? 2 ACL's, a meniscus, and this unknown one?

It was weird cause it was when he stopped. Not cut or anything like that. But he came out of it holding his knee. Hope it isn't what it seems, but just feel bad for the kid. Worked hard to get to where he was before he went down after the injuries.

Just now, mdn82 said:

It was weird cause it was when he stopped. Not cut or anything like that. But he came out of it holding his knee. Hope it isn't what it seems, but just feel bad for the kid. Worked hard to get to where he was before he went down after the injuries.

I really cant remember IU releasing a statement for an injury that wasn't season ending. I could be wrong.

5 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

If JBJ agrees to be stashed in the d league which is becoming popular from teams he could be picked pretty early 2nd round. I wouldn't pay much attention to mocks with him. The 2nd round is usually never close to mock drafts. A team strictly needing shooting will take him.

I think he'll get a shot with someone because of his shooting alone. How the other facets of his game will translate to the NBA, idk, but he'll get his chance to find out. Would it be better for him to go undrafted so he could pick the right situation? 

I think he'll get a shot with someone because of his shooting alone. How the other facets of his game will translate to the NBA, idk, but he'll get his chance to find out. Would it be better for him to go undrafted so he could pick the right situation? 

I think Summer League has to be his most important part of his "job" interview. Regardless of drafted or not if he plays good there it could make him a candidate to get some minutes as a rookie. Second round and undrafted are similar nowadays. The first 10 picks of the second round would be the only exception.