Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Random IUWBB Recruiting

I'm sorry, but "depressed" has become a grossly overused word.  How much of this is pampered athlete hit their ceiling in college and now they are sad that they are just another person in the world like the rest of us.  
Kids these days just can't take being yelled at and if they do they think they are being mistreated. If you want to be noticed play better. If you are injured and can't play the focus Should be on those who can play and not some whinny kid who thinks all eyes should be on them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Maybe a relative?

I love that this is my agenda..

you all would rather gouge you eyes out than to admit that maybe theres an issue in this program.

I'm all about positivity but this is real and you guys will eventually be forced to admit that teri and rhett clearly have problems looking kids in the eye and being honest with them.

Do you think I told these players to say these things?

..someone explain to me how this is my fault lol

Georgia tech was a consistent top 25 even top 15 program when machelle Joseph was fired for this exact type of thing. So dont be surprised if it happens here is all i'm saying.

Or just keep saying those 17 kids that transferred in 6 years are ALL soft (moren should have recruited better then, her team) and that this is all MY personal agenda. Quit trying so hard to connect me to this (you can't because I'm on the outside) and maybe connect it to someone who has something to do with it?

Its scary that you see this as me trying to ruin this for you and not what it literally is lol hurt suit yourselves

I honestly thought this was a decent forum but theres still apparently a problem if someone says something unfortunate even if its true.

I visit other teams forums all the time and if someone posted something like this, the iu forums are the only place where you will be called a liar with an agenda...haha

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan31 said:

I love that this is my agenda..

you all would rather gouge you eyes out than to admit that maybe theres an issue in this program.

I'm all about positivity but this is real and you guys will eventually be forced to admit that teri and rhett clearly have problems looking kids in the eye and being honest with them.

Do you think I told these players to say these things?

..someone explain to me how this is my fault lol

Georgia tech was a consistent top 25 even top 15 program when machelle Joseph was fired for this exact type of thing. So dont be surprised if it happens here is all i'm saying.

Or just keep saying those 17 kids that transferred in 6 years are ALL soft (moren should have recruited better then, her team) and that this is all MY personal agenda. Quit trying so hard to connect me to this (you can't because I'm on the outside) and maybe connect it to someone who has something to do with it?

Its scary that you see this as me trying to ruin this for you and not what it literally is lol hurt suit yourselves

I honestly thought this was a decent forum but theres still apparently a problem if someone says something unfortunate even if its true.

I visit other teams forums all the time and if someone posted something like this, the iu forums are the only place where you will be called a liar with an agenda...haha

Until you can actually show something concrete or something from someone on the inside then it all comes off as a bunch of misfits whining because they couldn't cut it even though their mommy and daddy said how awesome they are.  There isn't this much depression in the world and frankly I find it infuriating that people are marginalizing REAL depression which is a potentially deadly issue.  Depression IS NOT when you are sad because things didn't go your way.

For example, one of the tweets talks about how Moren brought in a girl from overseas and then ran her off a year later.  You know what, if she wasn't good enough then GOOD.  That is exactly what Moren should do.  It is her job to win, not coddle marginal players.

23 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy_72 said:

Until you can actually show something concrete or something from someone on the inside then it all comes off as a bunch of misfits whining because they couldn't cut it even though their mommy and daddy said how awesome they are.  There isn't this much depression in the world and frankly I find it infuriating that people are marginalizing REAL depression which is a potentially deadly issue.  Depression IS NOT when you are sad because things didn't go your way.

For example, one of the tweets talks about how Moren brought in a girl from overseas and then ran her off a year later.  You know what, if she wasn't good enough then GOOD.  That is exactly what Moren should do.  It is her job to win, not coddle marginal players.

What do we need since 6 witnesses isnt enough, your honor? Forensic evidence? And I think we used to call running players off 'creaning' but we may have to change the name

27 minutes ago, Hoosierfan31 said:

What do we need since 6 witnesses isnt enough, your honor? Forensic evidence? And I think we used to call running players off 'creaning' but we may have to change the name

Pretty well-stated response by you here IMO.

I very much appreciate the food for thought you’re bringing to the board.

However, strong stuff like this is bound to bring cross-examination.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Pretty well-stated response by you here IMO.

I very much appreciate the food for thought you’re bringing to the board.

However, strong stuff like this is bound to bring cross-examination.

I didnt ask anyone to cheer about it, but just based on the responses, it seems like along with our coaches, some of our fans dont understand that kids are not like the kids of yesterday and must be treated/coached differently. They ARE more sensitive ect and the coaching style has to evolve as time goes on. 

But I will never agree with signing a kid who I know isnt good enough to play on our league and then running them off when they perform as expected..esp to bring in a kid from quite literally halfway around the world only to get rid of them to get the scholly back. This is COLLEGE basketball.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan31 said:

I didnt ask anyone to cheer about it, but just based on the responses, it seems like along with our coaches, some of our fans dont understand that kids are not like the kids of yesterday and must be treated/coached differently. They ARE more sensitive ect and the coaching style has to evolve as time goes on. 

But I will never agree with signing a kid who I know isnt good enough to play on our league and then running them off when they perform as expected..esp to bring in a kid from quite literally halfway around the world only to get rid of them to get the scholly back. This is COLLEGE basketball.

But a player can be valuable to the team without getting playing time. Either by working hard enough to get that playing time, or by coming to the realization that playing time won’t likely be an option and becoming a truly great teammate anyway.

Also, very successful high school players tend to have inflated expectations and take the best offer available. When that best program available offer doesn’t turn into playing time, many of them have a very difficult time coming to the realization that things aren’t going to work out the way they planned.

55 minutes ago, Hoosierfan31 said:

Indiana's rules allow that student to continue to earn a degree for free if they so choose.  If the IU degree was their priority, they are welcome to stay and finish.  That is why that rule was created.  Let the coach make hard decisions while allowing players to keep their options open.

The solution is not to force Moren's hand and try to win with subpar talent.  She is paid to win within the rules, plain and simple.

On a team of 15 you are always going to have a handful of players who are unhappy.  Almost every team has a couple transfers per year. now.  That five whiners who quit over the last few years have taken to social media really doesn't stand out.  It speaks poorly on them and reflects why they couldn't cut it.  They are clearly soft.

Shameful! Using this platform to cyber bully is grotesque. The one thing that we do know of the the kids involved is a lack of playing time. To use mental health as a crutch shows a lack of maturity, insight, and respect for those that do suffer from mental illness. Is this a self diagnosis of depression? There is a difference between being sad and actually having depression. Perhaps if their parents and coaches hadn’t coddled them so much into thinking they’re better than they are, they wouldn’t be sad. It takes WORK to make it in this division. Mental, physical, and emotional work. Some of these kids just can’t handle it .

I think if there was really anything concrete, it would have been said. To me, this has the look of a bunch of disgruntled kids that don’t know how to handle adversity. 

Based on what we know of Bobby Knight’s situation and Rutgers men’s basketball, I would be hard pressed to think that every practice is not filmed. So if there was anything that transpired, I’m sure it’s all on film. I’m certain that if kids were mistreated it would have come to light.

For me? The ex-player's post which severely diminished her credibility was this one:

I literally witnessed our coaching staff recruit a girl from New Zealand in the middle of the season because we only had 12 on our roster. after playing for a year and a half they decided she wasn’t good enough to play at IU. they told her they could help her find another school

The coaching staff decided the player in question (Laken Wairau) was not going to get playing time after ... wait for it... one and a half years!  This player had real, extended time to prove her value to the program, both on the court or in the locker room/team culture. FWIW, when that player left IU, she went back to New Zealand and is now a backup on a New Zealand women's club team.

Archie let Grant Gelon know he wasn't going to be good enough to play at IU after about one month and very few had a bad reaction to it. Why did Archie keep Tim Priller around? Very likely because Middle School Bob/Tim was extremely well-liked, was a good teammate in practice, and accepted that he was never gonna play (that, and he only had one year left on scholly).  The players' bill of rights allowed the player in question to stay as an IU student, or the staff offered to find her a place where she could play. Seems very straightforward to me.

I appreciate the discussion and I recognize the red flags, but when players that are in the game rotation start to transfer out I'll take these concerns with much more validity. 

So what are the allegations exactly? Players are unhappy because they aren’t playing enough? They were promised more in recruiting?

The starters always seem to love her. Isn’t this true?

Impossible to have a full team of happy players AT any level including middle school basketball. It’s the coaches job to cultivate that talent but some players may never see playing time because of their developmental curve. That’s not an Indiana problem.

Ever think that what she is doing is working?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

As long as we can keep picking up high profile transfers from p5 teams I suppose this will be a fine way to operate.

But this is really spreading far and wide on twitter... 

my grandmother told me when someone has a good experience they may tell one or two people but when they have a bad experience they will tell everyone they know

35 minutes ago, Hoosierfan31 said:

my grandmother told me when someone has a good experience they may tell one or two people but when they have a bad experience they will tell everyone they know

If you are suggesting that we all believe every bad review we ever encounter, I fear for the restaurant industry.  Covid will be nothing compared to the wrath of Yelp!

17 minutes ago, triple said:

If you are suggesting that we all believe every bad review we ever encounter, I fear for the restaurant industry.  Covid will be nothing compared to the wrath of Yelp!

No, I was saying that its incredibly unfortunate that so many people are seeing this.. esp since this year was kind of a bust in terms of recruiting the class of 20-21

We stole a kid away from the ovc last minute. I am excited by the potential of Patterson, Cardaño-Hillary, and paige price but will have to wait a season for the two latter.

We have a great starting 5 or 6 but after that it's kind of mediocre.

The instate transfers from this season are worrisome, particularly Allen, the reigning Miss Basketball. Negative recruiting momentum coming off a really good season is unfortunate. Patterson looks to be a good transfer but long term, you have to build classes from HS seniors. If there is any sense that IU is not a desired place to send their players from HS and AAU coaches, that can hurt long term. Perception is reality. If the perception is “there’s a problem” down there , it can hurt with recruiting. Is it enough to give up on Moren? I don’t think so but it’s something to watch.

That being said, I will say 15 scholarships in WBB is a large number. Hard to play that many players. Can imagine there would be frustration from those riding the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I do wonder about kids in general who go on public threads with these sorts of claims and feel that is ok whether IU or otherwise. I couldn't imagine many coaches anywhere who would think that was a great asset to have. What you see in every IU coaches post is that the IU coaches want hard nut, no fuss, gym rats.Maybe on a broader scale, it is a reflection of that generation. I don't know the kids but I do know that any recruit coming in that has played any sort of good level will have a thick skin as the coaches at that level rely on High IQ workers to survive and develop the group.

For me? The ex-player's post which severely diminished her credibility was this one:

Danielle Williams   @daniwilliamstv · May 20, 2020 I literally witnessed our coaching staff recruit a girl from New Zealand in the middle of the season because we only had 12 on our roster. after playing for a year and a half they decided she wasn’t good enough to play at IU. they told her they could help her find another school  
The coaching staff decided the player in question (Laken Wairau) was not going to get playing time after ... wait for it... one and a half years!  This player had real, extended time to prove her value to the program, both on the court or in the locker room/team culture. FWIW, when that player left IU, she went back to New Zealand and is now a backup on a New Zealand women's club team.
Archie let Grant Gelon know he wasn't going to be good enough to play at IU after about one month and very few had a bad reaction to it. Why did Archie keep Tim Priller around? Very likely because Middle School Bob/Tim was extremely well-liked, was a good teammate in practice, and accepted that he was never gonna play (that, and he only had one year left on scholly).  The players' bill of rights allowed the player in question to stay as an IU student, or the staff offered to find her a place where she could play. Seems very straightforward to me.
I appreciate the discussion and I recognize the red flags, but when players that are in the game rotation start to transfer out I'll take these concerns with much more validity. 

Priller definitely should have played way more. Gave us something to cheer about.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app