Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Random IUWBB Recruiting

On 10/20/2016 at 8:59 PM, ccgeneral said:

Indiana currently has no verbal commitments for the 2018 class, but nine ’18 prospects are expected to be in attendance for Hoosier Hysteria this weekend.

Abby Prohaska, a 5-8 guard from Ohio selected for the USA U-17 team, is also expected to be at Saturday’s event.

We never gained any traction with Abby Prohaska's recruitment and she ended up at Notre Dame.  Today, she announced that her future at ND is very uncertain after blood clots have been found in each of her lungs.   

On 9/16/2019 at 8:50 AM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

2020 prospect Taliyah Medina, 6-1 W, Bethlehem Catholic HS (PA), has offers from Indiana, Louisville, Michigan, Penn, Penn State, Pitt, Tennessee, Villanova, WVU (per source).   Reportedly plans to visit all of these schools.

Committed to Villanova

Tonie Morgan, 5-8 PG, Florida HS (Tallahassee, FL–2022).  Although we're not specifically named in this article, it seems that we have extended an offer to Morgan.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/preps/2019/12/13/girls-basketball-intro-appreciate-lincolns-turral-florida-highs-morgan-while-you-can/4375670002/

I'll post it here since it can have an effect on recruiting in general.  It wasn't publicized but Coach Moren was given a contract extension in 2017 and is now locked in until 2023.  That contract also has a $10 million buyout clause should PUke ever try to take her away.  Full details of her contract at:

http://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2019/12/future-secure-for-moren-iu-women-iuwbb/

Some comments raised in the IUWBB / Penn St. game thread regarding women's recruiting and commitments for next season -- currently we have none  -- and I'll try to give you all a little more background.  Although we don't have any commitments, Coach Moren does have '20 offers on the table but at this point given how hard it is to get updates on women's recruiting it's impossible to know how many of those offers could be considered as active.  

From what I have in my notes, we extended 19 offers to the '20 class.  5 that I know of and likely several more have committed elsewhere.  For the '21 class, we have 12 offers on the table that I know of and there could well be more than that.

Coach Moren isn't shy about extending offers early in high school careers.  Of the 19 offers extended to the '20 class, 9 were extended in the fall of 2017.  Of the 12 offers to the '21 class, 5 of these were extended in the fall of 2017.

As I mentioned in the other thread, women's recruiting simply doesn't get the attention that the men do.  

Through the first ESPN link below, you can check by year and you'll note that for 2020, not a single name appears in any of the 3 tabs.  Under the 2021 "as considering" tab, 2 names appear and interestingly, Shyanne Sellers from Ohio, is the daughter of former B1G basketball player Brad Sellers.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/84/class/2020/page/on-the-trail

You can view ESPN's top 100 in the 2020 class at:  http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2020

ESPN's top 60 for the 2021 class:  http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2021

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Some comments raised in the IUWBB / Penn St. game thread regarding women's recruiting and commitments for next season -- currently we have none  -- and I'll try to give you all a little more background.  Although we don't have any commitments, Coach Moren does have '20 offers on the table but at this point given how hard it is to get updates on women's recruiting it's impossible to know how many of those offers could be considered as active.  

From what I have in my notes, we extended 19 offers to the '20 class.  5 that I know of and likely several more have committed elsewhere.  For the '21 class, we have 12 offers on the table that I know of and there could well be more than that.

Coach Moren isn't shy about extending offers early in high school careers.  Of the 19 offers extended to the '20 class, 9 were extended in the fall of 2017.  Of the 12 offers to the '21 class, 5 of these were extended in the fall of 2017.

As I mentioned in the other thread, women's recruiting simply doesn't get the attention that the men do.  

Through the first ESPN link below, you can check by year and you'll note that for 2020, not a single name appears in any of the 3 tabs.  Under the 2021 "as considering" tab, 2 names appear and interestingly, Shyanne Sellers from Ohio, is the daughter of former B1G basketball player Brad Sellers.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/84/class/2020/page/on-the-trail

You can view ESPN's top 100 in the 2020 class at:  http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2020

ESPN's top 60 for the 2021 class:  http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2021

Thanks for this info. In the game thread, Hoosierfan31 mentioned something about Danielle Patterson becoming eligible and that being exciting. Can you elaborate on that and how that will impact the team next year? Was she highly ranked but injured? A highly ranked transfer? (Edit: NVM, was being lazy. See now that she transferred from ND  looks like she will be a key piece to add to our returning starters next year. McD’s and Jordan Brand All-American. Nice  next year feels like it has a chance to be a special year for the women.)

Edit: also, looking at the links you provided, it appears we whiffed for 2020 huh? Both Purdue and Rutgers got two top 100 signings and another IN recruit in the top 75 went to MSU. Is that concerning? Wonder how our momentum and young, talented squad wasn’t enough to pull at least one top 100 recruit. 2021 looks to be pretty important we get a couple highly ranked recruits. Several IN players in the top 60. One from North Central. Feels like we need to hit in that class with our talent turning over. 

40 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Thanks for this info. In the game thread, Hoosierfan31 mentioned something about Danielle Patterson becoming eligible and that being exciting. Can you elaborate on that and how that will impact the team next year? Was she highly ranked but injured? A highly ranked transfer? (Edit: NVM, was being lazy. See now that she transferred from ND  looks like she will be a key piece to add to our returning starters next year. McD’s and Jordan Brand All-American. Nice  next year feels like it has a chance to be a special year for the women.)

Edit: also, looking at the links you provided, it appears we whiffed for 2020 huh? Both Purdue and Rutgers got two top 100 signings and another IN recruit in the top 75 went to MSU. Is that concerning? Wonder how our momentum and young, talented squad wasn’t enough to pull at least one top 100 recruit. 2021 looks to be pretty important we get a couple highly ranked recruits. Several IN players in the top 60. One from North Central. Feels like we need to hit in that class with our talent turning over. 

Whiffed, struck out, etc., as we did extend offers but to date no commitments.  I have no insider info so I really don't know how much overall effort was put into '20 recruiting especially after landing Danielle Patterson as a transfer and given the make-up of our current roster.  I feel fairly confident in saying Coach Moren really wanted to land Sydney Parrish from Hamilton SE, but she opted for Oregon.   Beyond that, I'm in the dark just as much as anyone else.

A new name surfaces.  Paige Price '21 from Melbourne, Australia.  She tweeted her top 3 earlier today.

In 2018, she was selected to participate in NBA's Basketball Without Borders Asia camp.  She is a member of the Melbourne Boomers of the Women's National Basketball League  the pre-eminent professional women's basketball league in Australia. It is currently composed of eight teams. The league was founded in 1981 and is the women's counterpart to the National Basketball League. Several WNBL teams have NBL counterparts.  [thank you Wikipedia].  She has logged very little playing time but is the youngest member of the team --  she'll turn 17 in April.  Most of the team is in their 20's. 

And before someone asks, I have no idea what the rules are for the women who play in pro leagues overseas and then come to  the U.S.A to  attend college.  

2018 15U FIBA

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

A new name surfaces.  Paige Price '21 from Melbourne, Australia.

In 2018, she was selected to participate in NBA's Basketball Without Borders Asia camp.  She is a member of the Melbourne Boomers of the Women's National Basketball League  the pre-eminent professional women's basketball league in Australia. It is currently composed of eight teams. The league was founded in 1981 and is the women's counterpart to the National Basketball League. Several WNBL teams have NBL counterparts.  [thank you Wikipedia].  She has logged very little playing time but is the youngest member of the team --  she'll turn 16 in April.  Most of the team is in their 20's. 

And before someone asks, I have no idea what the rules are for the women who play in pro leagues overseas and then come to  the U.S.A to  attend college.  

2018 15U FIBA

Cool shoes.

36 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

A new name surfaces.  Paige Price '21 from Melbourne, Australia.  She tweeted her top 3 earlier today.

In 2018, she was selected to participate in NBA's Basketball Without Borders Asia camp.  She is a member of the Melbourne Boomers of the Women's National Basketball League  the pre-eminent professional women's basketball league in Australia. It is currently composed of eight teams. The league was founded in 1981 and is the women's counterpart to the National Basketball League. Several WNBL teams have NBL counterparts.  [thank you Wikipedia].  She has logged very little playing time but is the youngest member of the team --  she'll turn 17 in April.  Most of the team is in their 20's. 

2018 15U FIBA

I won’t ask. But I am curious as to the eligibility rules for someone who has played professionally for women’s hoops. The NCAA is a fickle bunch. I know this was something that came up with a lot of international soccer players IU recruited who were part of a professional team in Europe’s academy. It probably has changed ten times since then, but I’m aware of a couple situations when the NCAA determined that if they were paid, but the amount was less than why could be reasonably determined to be The amount of which average room and board would cost, they remained eligible despite being a professional abroad. I think the justification was that even though they received wages from a professional club, that it could be classified as the equivalent of a scholarship to a private school (i.e. Monte Verde Academy, La Lumiere, etc). Several international guys came and played for IU’s soccer program despite playing pro or semi-pro for clubs oversees. But the NCAA changes its mind on things with the wind, so that’s no indicator of her eligibility. You’d think she and her parents, or guidance people, would have already looked into this if she’s posting a top three like she knows she has the opportunity to make a choice to attend one of the schools though. *Shrugs shoulders*

2 hours ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

I won’t ask. But I am curious as to the eligibility rules for someone who has played professionally for women’s hoops. The NCAA is a fickle bunch. I know this was something that came up with a lot of international soccer players IU recruited who were part of a professional team in Europe’s academy. It probably has changed ten times since then, but I’m aware of a couple situations when the NCAA determined that if they were paid, but the amount was less than why could be reasonably determined to be The amount of which average room and board would cost, they remained eligible despite being a professional abroad. I think the justification was that even though they received wages from a professional club, that it could be classified as the equivalent of a scholarship to a private school (i.e. Monte Verde Academy, La Lumiere, etc). Several international guys came and played for IU’s soccer program despite playing pro or semi-pro for clubs oversees. But the NCAA changes its mind on things with the wind, so that’s no indicator of her eligibility. You’d think she and her parents, or guidance people, would have already looked into this if she’s posting a top three like she knows she has the opportunity to make a choice to attend one of the schools though. *Shrugs shoulders*

Yes, the boomers are in one of the top leagues in the world and they play against and with many WNBA players ect. The team gulbe played for before she came here is also professional in the same sense, many wnba players play for the same teams BUT

There are players who get paid and theres ones who either dont or get paid a small small amount to the point that they can maintain their amateur status and come play over here in college.

This would be a nice get as playing in highly competitive eurobasket leagues is gonna have her alot more ready to hit the ncaa court than high school leagues will

2 hours ago, Fkfootball1 said:

IU doesn’t really recruit all that well as a University. It’s actually amazing how well we have done considering. I’ve spoken to people about this and the general consensus is that Bloomington is kind of a podunk town in Southern Indiana and for a lot of black athletes, it’s a turn off. If IU were in Indy, we would recruit better in every single sport.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Cuz Tuscaloosa, Lawrence, and Clemson, SC are such cosmopolitan towns.

IU doesn’t really recruit all that well as a University. It’s actually amazing how well we have done considering. I’ve spoken to people about this and the general consensus is that Bloomington is kind of a podunk town in Southern Indiana and for a lot of black athletes, it’s a turn off. If IU were in Indy, we would recruit better in every single sport.

Bloomington is as far from “podunk” as you get in the Midwest. If your intentions were to highlight the size or “street life” I would agree with you. Bloomington does not lack diversity though.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

33 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

Cuz Tuscaloosa, Lawrence, and Clemson, SC are such cosmopolitan towns.

Storrs, Connecticut says hello as well. Suburb of the booming metropolis of Hartford. (Population roughly around that of Evansville) UCONN doesn’t struggle on the recruiting front. 

4 hours ago, Fkfootball1 said:

No, we'd recruit better if our coaches were better recruiters. Recruiters recruit. 

Bloomington is as far from “podunk” as you get in the Midwest. If your intentions were to highlight the size or “street life” I would agree with you. Bloomington does not lack diversity though.

Most people just generalize. A “small” town like Bloomington in Southern Indiana probably has nothing to offer right? Other than just a crap ton of things to do at all times of the day. I know a guy who had never been further south than maybe Indy and thought all of Indiana was flat... which couldn’t be further from the truth obviously in Southern Indiana. There is hardly any flat land. But at the same time other places can recruit. What’s in Lexington and Lawrence? And they still recruit big when it comes to men’s basketball. Fact is, Indiana women’s basketball is basically new so recruiting is going to be tough. Gotta win and win big consistently and the players will follow.