Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Random IUWBB Recruiting

We offered '21 Greta Kampschroeder in September.  She already has 5 other B1G offers:  IL, IA, MSU, Minny & NW.

Many high school basketball players have parents who played the sport, but few have the family history of Greta Kampschroeder.

The Naperville North freshman is the daughter of two former stars for the Huskies who went on to play college basketball.

Kampschroeder's mother Amy played at Valparaiso and is a member of Naperville North's athletic hall of fame. Greta's father, Brad, played at Kansas as a walk-on.

"They tell me everything about high school basketball, how fun it is," Kampschroder said. "This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, these four years, so I just have to enjoy it because the rest of my life I'm never going to be able to do this again."

Naperville North coach Jason Dycus has been relishing the chance for several years to coach the 6-foot Kampschroeder. He looked forward to teaming her with current senior co-captains Lauren Platou and Sadie Jurkovic.

"She's really a special kid," Dycus said of Kampschroeder. "She's fun to coach. She's got an inside game and an outside game. She understands how to get the ball to her teammates. She's not selfish at all."

Kampschroeder's unselfish ways, which combine a pass-first mentality with a great ability to score, have endeared her to her teammates.

"She's had a huge impact," Jurkovic said. "She's an amazing player. She's super nice to everyone. If you're having a bad game, she's the one to pick you up. She's not cocky like, 'I'm the best player on the team.'"

In reality, Kampschroeder has been Naperville North's best player. She leads the Huskies with averages of 12.7 points, 2.3 assists and 1.9 blocked shots. She's second in rebounding at 7.1.

Kampschroeder scored 21 points in her high school debut and fell three assists shy of a triple-double in her third game.

Listed as a forward, she has the ability to play all five positions, which has helped take the load off Platou and the 6-4 Jurkovic.

"It does because if she drives, I'm there for the dish," Jurkovic said. "If she's shooting well, they're coming out to her, so it's not all the focus on me and Lauren anymore.

Platou, a three-year starter, is impressed by Kampschroeder's poise.

"It's awesome having someone who is so young who has such skill and also she has a mental toughness, too," Platou said. "A lot of times freshmen are scared by some of the things that happen in a varsity game, so to see someone who can really perform like that with just no fear and have confidence is amazing."

Kampschroeder agrees her versatility is an asset, but it's not her only one.

"My main thing is I have a good IQ so I can see where everyone is," Kampschroeder said. "That can apply to any position, so that's probably the best part of my game."

But the most impressive aspect of Kampschroeder's flawless transition is her ability to shrug off the pressure of expectations. She isn't fazed by her parents' reputation or the hopes of her teammates.

"It's a little bit of pressure and there is a lot of hype going around, but all the girls are super nice," Kampschroeder said. "They've really welcomed me. That helps us play together. It's been really fun."

While Kampschroeder wants to rack up points and assists, her main objective must be music to the ears of Dycus and her parents.

"My goal is always to work hard and be a good teammate," Kampschroeder said. "Being a good teammate and working hard on the court and in the classroom is what I mainly focus on.

"That's what helps me become a good student-athlete."

More on '21 Greta Kampschroeder

With some Big Ten coaches in town to watch, Naperville North standout freshman Greta Kampschroeder did not disappoint, even if she couldn't help deliver a Huskies win.

The talented newcomer scored four early baskets on a variety of moves as the Huskies took a quick 12-2 lead on Batavia at the Benet/Naperville North Holiday Tournament. The 6-footer opened the game's scoring with a turnaround jumper and then followed with a spinning floater, a jumper from the free-throw line and a baseline drive.

Kampschroeder finished the night with a game-high 19 points, 8 rebounds and 4 blocked shots. But it was the Bulldogs who left victorious as Batavia rallied late for a 45-37 win.

"We just sort of settled in. They've been pretty good and fighting through stuff and we kept at it," said Batavia coach Kevin Jensen, whose team used a 19-9 fourth-quarter charge to improve to 7-4 on the year. "We just kept battling and we knocked down some big shots at the end it was awesome."

In the stands on Wednesday were scouts and coaches from Iowa, Indiana and Purdue, and they had to like what they saw from Kampschroeder, who had 9 of her team's 16 field goals.

But the 4-5 Huskies have dropped their share of tight contests as the team seems to get down or too tight at times with the game on the line.

"It's definitely mental," Kampschroeder said. "We can't let the success of our opponent bring us down. We just weren't enjoying ourselves. We just need to go have fun and remember that it's a game. The JV team is the one inspiring us. They're having fun and when they're down they just come back. They don't get down. We have to have belief. We need that mindset."

The Bulldogs picked up some timely 3-pointers and a solid all-around effort from sophomore guard Erin Golden, who tallied 16 points, 9 rebounds and 3 steals. She made all six of her free throws in the second half as Batavia went 12 for 14 from the line for the game. Hailey Orman, meanwhile rolled in a 3-pointer at the buzzer in the first quarter and added another from beyond the arc in the third quarter.

"We started hitting our shots a lot more and looking for the better ones," Golden said, explaining how her team worked out of a 12-5 deficit after one quarter. "When they started to press us we broke it really well where we'd have the good cutter going down. And then Geddy Rerko's 3-pointer really helped us. That gave us a big breather."

Leading just 37-33 with 1:38 left to play, Rerko connected on that huge 3-pointer for her only basket of the night.

"That shot, making it from 4 to 7, to me that's when I felt like we had the game. We were pumped for that there," said Jensen, who also credited Rerko's defense on Kampschroeder in the second half for making an impact. "A lot of the second half we put Geddy on her and she played some outstanding defense on a girl that had 3-4 Big Ten coaches watching her. She's going to be a phenomenal player for years."

So it may have just been an oversight, but I was reading an article (*edit* ids I think) about next year's team and it failed to mention aleska gulbe...is she still coming to iu because a 4* post player isn't something I would forget to mention in an interview about who was going to make a big impact next year?

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan31 said:

So it may have just been an oversight, but I was reading an article (*edit* ids I think) about next year's team and it failed to mention aleska gulbe...is she still coming to iu because a 4* post player isn't something I would forget to mention in an interview about who was going to make a big impact next year?

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

Hmmmmm....  It is the IDS, lol, so could just be oversight.  I checked around, saw she retweeted (I'm wayyyyy too old to use that phrase) the IU Women's Basketball tweet about winning the WNIT.  I hope it's just a case of lazy reporting?

Not sure if we have any interest (or she in us), but...

WBB: N'Dea Flye, 5-7 freshman PG out of Oregon City, OR, has announced that she's transferring from New Mexico; 6.1 PPG and 2.4 APG in 25.8 MPG; bio: golobos.com/roster.aspx?rp…

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

'22 G/F Cotie McMahon - Centerville, OH.

@cotieballer32: @IndianaWBB I am so humbled and thankful for my offer. I cant wait to work on the things you suggested and empress you guys even more. I look forward to visiting in the spring. Thank you again. This is awesome.

Ds8jD3dUUAA2Nw6.jpg:large

All-Area MVP: Fremont sophomore Emma Calvert was virtually unstoppable

PLAIN CITY, UT — The plan from the start was to put Emma Calvert in an uncomfortable situation on the basketball court. Typically, that’s when you learn the most.

Fremont High’s girls basketball team had two new assistant coaches this year — Kealani Sagapolu and Amanda Wayment — both of whom are former college players and Fremont alums.

So in practice, Fremont’s starting five would play against seven players: five Fremont players and those two coaches who would double-team both Calvert and freshman post Timea Gardiner.

“I loved it, because I had to get prepared for it anyway. I didn’t want to get in the game and just have it come,” Calvert said.

In some ways it was a radical change from last year when not every girls basketball team knew about then-freshman Calvert and weren’t as prepared to deal with her.

Everyone knew who she was this season, what she was all about and how she played. Where the Silver Wolves had potent outside shooting last season, they had more of a dominant post presence this year.

Opponents almost exclusively played zone defense against Fremont.

“I bet we saw five minutes total of the season of man-to-man (defense),” head coach Lisa Dalebout said.

Yet still, Calvert couldn’t be stopped. The Fremont sophomore post is the 2019 Standard-Examiner All-Area Girls Basketball Most Valuable Player after averaging 16.4 points, 6.5 rebounds, 2.4 blocks and 1.3 steals per game.

Maybe more impressively, Calvert shot 64 percent from the field and 76 percent from the free-throw line.

As Fremont logged its second-straight unbeaten Region 1 championship and went to the state semifinals, Calvert scored in double digits in all but one game. And in that one game, she was sick and still scored eight points.

In the paint, it was almost a given that if she got the ball, she would score. It was pretty much automatic.

“To a fault, my team always looked at Emma to give her the ball ... that’s always a nice thing that you don’t have to berate your guards to get her the ball,” Dalebout said, smiling.

Dalebout pointed out three things Calvert saw marked improvement in: free-throw shooting (up to 76 percent this year) and leadership (Calvert was a captain this year as a sophomore).

Then defense. The Silver Wolves’ defense was aggressive this year and tried to direct traffic to the basket, where Calvert was waiting.

Calvert averaged those 2.4 blocks per game to go with an undetermined amount of altered shots, which aren’t officially kept as a statistic. Good rim protectors have that effect.

“She’ll get to the point where she doesn’t have to block every shot, but people are going to feel like she’s going to block every shot,” Dalebout said.

Calvert is 6-foot-4 and normally 6 to 8 inches taller than any guard that makes it into the paint. Then that guard has to quickly adjust her shot, reducing an already slim margin for making a tough basket to an infinitesimal size.

Last summer, college coaches took bigger notice of Calvert after her stellar freshman campaign that helped Fremont win a state championship.

She received her first scholarship offer from the University of Denver and then one from Brigham Young University. Weber State women’s basketball coach Velaida Harris didn’t take long to extend Calvert an offer as well after taking over the job.

“It’s kind of cool because you know that people are watching, so you always want to do your best,” Calvert said.

There’s several other schools in the picture right now, including Indiana and Northern Colorado, and NCAA rules allow for more contact between coaches and recruits when the recruit is a rising junior.

This summer figures to be particularly eventful in Calvert’s college recruiting world. That can be a very stressful thing to deal with.

Dalebout’s advice to Calvert, and all her players, is to be yourself, play ball and the rest will work itself out. Dalebout’s influence is felt other ways, too.

“She’s really good at getting you hyped up. Pregame stuff, she’ll come in and give you a speech and her speeches are like — you’ll want to fight a war for her when she’s done,” Calvert said.

The college recruiting attention, made just a little bit bigger by the number of schools that also came to watch Gardiner, didn’t negatively affect Calvert at all.

She just kept posting up and making baskets, no matter how many players defended her.

On 3/10/2019 at 4:55 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Raoul WBB:  Hearing that RaShaya Kyle, 6-6 C, Marion HS (IN), ranked in the top 40 in the 2020 class, is down to three schools: Indiana, Michigan State, and Purdue.  We offered way back in Sept. 2017.

Committed to purdue ...sucks for moren she seemed confident about this one coming to iu

From RAOULs wbb blog

Grace VanSlooten, 6-1 W, Toledo Notre Dame Academy (OH): a feature on VanSlooten lists her offers, including five from the Big Ten: Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State.

VanSlooten has racked up basketball offers from Toledo, Miami, Western Michigan, Xavier, Michigan, Ohio State, Indiana, Iowa, and Michigan State.

She is still far from making a decision, but for now, she is focusing on the lessons she learned in her first year of high school basketball.

“I think chemistry goes a long way with your team, knowing they have your back,” VanSlooten said. “Then paying attention in practice, knowing tendencies, and attention to detail.”

6' 3" Meg Newman '21 from Indianapolis North Central HS.  In 26 games last season she averaged 10 ppg; 5 reb; 1 assist; 1 steal.

42‏ @megnewman_3

Extremely excited to announce I have received an offer from Indiana University! Huge thanks to Coach Moren and staff for this opportunity!

D5XOdxcW4AELmTB.jpg