Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

IUFB Offseason Updates

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yes as long as no one tests postive. But I believe our team is sitting at around 90% vaxxed rate. 

How does that 90% align with IU's policy requiring vaccinations? 

Just now, IUc2016 said:

How does that 90% align with IU's policy requiring vaccinations? 

We are at 91% faculty/staff and 90% student population as of right now. I'm guessing it means that some people on the football team decided to opt for one of the exemptions. Which is OK but you do have to be tested 3 times a week for the university, and wear your mask indoors at all times. 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

We are at 91% faculty/staff and 90% student population as of right now. I'm guessing it means that some people on the football team decided to opt for one of the exemptions. Which is OK but you do have to be tested 3 times a week for the university, and wear your mask indoors at all times. 

thanks, was just curious how that worked.

Any indication that IU will require vaccine proof or negative test to get into games? I know they said they wouldn't but that was before the recent trends

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Hopefully all the unvaxed players are living together and have to sit together for travel.

2 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

thanks, was just curious how that worked.

Any indication that IU will require vaccine proof or negative test to get into games? I know they said they wouldn't but that was before the recent trends

Have not heard anything like that yet. We're 3 weeks from the first home game so that would need to be announced soon. 

7 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Have not heard anything like that yet. We're 3 weeks from the first home game so that would need to be announced soon. 

Hey Chris, was curious on your thoughts on these helmet pads the guys are all wearing in practice. I don’t remember these in past years. Do you know if they’ve cut down on preseason concussions?

4 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Hey Chris, was curious on your thoughts on these helmet pads the guys are all wearing in practice. I don’t remember these in past years. Do you know if they’ve cut down on preseason concussions?

I’m not sure but would be happy to ask someone. I’m all for them if they help just a little bit. I will say we haven’t heard of any concussions that I can think of.

37 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I’m not sure but would be happy to ask someone. I’m all for them if they help just a little bit. I will say we haven’t heard of any concussions that I can think of.

I’m all for anything that keeps these guys 100% coming into the season

23 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Mask policy is absurd. I have no problem with the testing though. 

16 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

11 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I know at the HS I coach at we have worn them for 5 or 6 years. We wear them from our first practice in the summer, to our last practice before our first game. The ONLY time our kids do not wear them is during the game.We wear them in scrimmages and even 7 on 7 in the summer, no real reason not to. I think they are between $70-90 a pop, but well worth it. We are just now having to replace some of them.  

We really don't have that many concussions anymore. Some of that is the guardian caps, some of it is a lot less contact in practice, some of it is acknowledging when a kid gets his bell rung and to check on them more often. Or get a hold of the trainer to look at them. The officials are more cognisant of this stuff, as well. They have a great view of most hits.  

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I know at the HS I coach at we have worn them for 5 or 6 years. We wear them from our first practice in the summer, to our last practice before our first game. The ONLY time our kids do not wear them is during the game.We wear them in scrimmages and even 7 on 7 in the summer, no real reason not to. I think they are between $70-90 a pop, but well worth it. We are just now having to replace some of them.  

We really don't have that many concussions anymore. Some of that is the guardian caps, some of it is a lot less contact in practice, some of it is acknowledging when a kid gets his bell rung and to check on them more often. Or get a hold of the trainer to look at them. The officials are more cognisant of this stuff, as well. They have a great view of most hits.  

I remember when Feeney and another guy (can’t remember the name) had to sit for weeks due to concussions. Glad to see stuff like you mentioned cuts down on them significantly. I always felt like practice was were concussion issues were born due to repetition and the game incidents were more than likely a parlay to something that was already an issue. 

24 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

I remember when Feeney and another guy (can’t remember the name) had to sit for weeks due to concussions. Glad to see stuff like you mentioned cuts down on them significantly. I always felt like practice was were concussion issues were born due to repetition and the game incidents were more than likely a parlay to something that was already an issue. 

A concussion in itself isn't a HUGE deal... but if it is undiagnosed that is when the problems occur, or can occur down the road. It wasn't like before we were saying "oh you will be fine, it's just a concussion"... it was more like, we didn't even know when they had a concussion. If that makes sense. Now multiple concussions are obviously not good, but just one... not a big deal at all. (obviously judging by severity) 

Yeah there are more concussions in practice, for sure. 

Return to play is a good thing, as well... once symptoms subside and a DR clears them:

Practice 1- walking for 10 mins at a time

Practice 2- light running for 10 mins at a time

Practice 3- non contact practice

Practice 4- contact practice

5th day--fully cleared