Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

IUFB Offseason Updates

On 6/18/2021 at 3:17 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Multiple reports that we will be at 100% capacity for football this fall.  Announcement includes 100% for all fall sports.

100% capacity for IU football usually means the stands are half full.

12 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

100% capacity for IU football usually means the stands are half full.

Unfortunately true. But if after the past 2 seasons, with all the momentum and excitement the football program has going, the fact that we’ll have a nationally ranked football team to cheer on, and a legitimate chance to have a season that is unheard of for this program…..if it remains half full this season then we deserve none of it. 

46 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Unfortunately true. But if after the past 2 seasons, with all the momentum and excitement the football program has going, the fact that we’ll have a nationally ranked football team to cheer on, and a legitimate chance to have a season that is unheard of for this program…..if it remains half full this season then we deserve none of it. 

Never really understood not going into the game. Season ticket holder since I could spell my name. To each their own, but even when we were bad I was in the stands. 

Just always confused me seeing people in the lots with 5mins until KO while I'm chugging my last beer and they're just chilling at the Tailgate. 

Went to Tennessee 3 years ago, they were absolutely awful.. still had 90K+ at their game. 

22 hours ago, btownqb said:

Never really understood not going into the game. Season ticket holder since I could spell my name. To each their own, but even when we were bad I was in the stands. 

Just always confused me seeing people in the lots with 5mins until KO while I'm chugging my last beer and they're just chilling at the Tailgate. 

Went to Tennessee 3 years ago, they were absolutely awful.. still had 90K+ at their game. 

I 100% aree with you! I love watching the game. No matter how bad my beloved Hoosiers have been on the field. 

I did the same, went to a Vols game back in 1999 against Vandy.  Travis Henry got injured before halftime that game but he was still a monster while on the field.  Packed house, they were good but already had 2 losses in the conference and the locals were calling the season a disappointment, but somewhat hopeful to squeak into the BCS.  Makes sense because the previous year they won the whole dang thing.  Tennessee has something IUFB is striving for;  6 banners hanging at Neyland.  Recently I've been thinking Vols football is a lot like IUBB.  Great tradition that isn't producing what the fans expect. 

This is a complete guess but I would imagine if you went to a Vanderbilt game you would not see the stadium packed to the gills.

6 hours ago, Lebowski said:

I 100% aree with you! I love watching the game. No matter how bad my beloved Hoosiers have been on the field. 

I did the same, went to a Vols game back in 1999 against Vandy.  Travis Henry got injured before halftime that game but he was still a monster while on the field.  Packed house, they were good but already had 2 losses in the conference and the locals were calling the season a disappointment, but somewhat hopeful to squeak into the BCS.  Makes sense because the previous year they won the whole dang thing.  Tennessee has something IUFB is striving for;  6 banners hanging at Neyland.  Recently I've been thinking Vols football is a lot like IUBB.  Great tradition that isn't producing what the fans expect. 

This is a complete guess but I would imagine if you went to a Vanderbilt game you would not see the stadium packed to the gills.

But.. you do at Kentucky. You do at South Carolina. You do at Ole Miss, Miss St. 

Life is just different in the SEC. 

42 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But.. you do at Kentucky. You do at South Carolina. You at Ole Miss, Miss St. 

Totally agree life is just different down there.  Keep in mind though Kentucky and Ole Miss have banners.  Gamecocks are above .500 all-time record.  And Miss St. have been bowling 24 times with 14 wins.  The reason I mentioned Vandy as an example is I think the best comparison IUFB can go by in the SEC is them.  SEC football is stacked from top to bottom.  I mean Missouri even has a pretty good football history. 

With the exception of a handful of years IUFB has been the doormat for all things football.  But it appears to be changing.  And I'm on that train enjoying the ride baby!

19 hours ago, btownqb said:

But.. you do at Kentucky. You do at South Carolina. You do at Ole Miss, Miss St. 

It is frustrating to see why IU attendance has been so bad. In the 80's we had great crowds. They used to give us pass-outs to  go to the tailgates, but we always came back in the 3rd quarter to watch Babe Laufenberg, Ernie Jones and AT run the ball. Both my kids attend Ole Miss and SEC football is a sight to see. The grove is an awesome place to tailgate. But they do struggle at times with kids leaving at halftime. Saban at Bama gripes about full stands after halftime as well, and my kids say sitting in the sun is a ***** when its 90+ degrees in August and September.

Now baseball is a whole different story. Ole Miss averages 9600 for every home game. Miss State even more and Vandy is right up there as well.

2 hours ago, upperarlington said:

It is frustrating to see why IU attendance has been so bad. In the 80's we had great crowds. They used to give us pass-outs to  go to the tailgates, but we always came back in the 3rd quarter to watch Babe Laufenberg, Ernie Jones and AT run the ball. Both my kids attend Ole Miss and SEC football is a sight to see. The grove is an awesome place to tailgate. But they do struggle at times with kids leaving at halftime. Saban at Bama gripes about full stands after halftime as well, and my kids say sitting in the sun is a ***** when its 90+ degrees in August and September.

Now baseball is a whole different story. Ole Miss averages 9600 for every home game. Miss State even more and Vandy is right up there as well.

I was including baseball when I said life is just different in the SEC. MSU gets 14K at a baseball game and our commissioner won't let us play out of conference games. Idk. 

I'm thrilled CTA has put us in a position like this. Incredibly fun and I do think the stands will be full this season. 

I am still pissed the Cincy game is at noon.

I really do think the stands will be full but the atmosphere of a 3:30 kick or 7:30 kick was something I was looking forward to with that game. Oh well, will nice just to be in the stadium again

9 hours ago, upperarlington said:

I was agreeing with you for sure. Didn't mean to sound confrontational there at all. 

17 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

He's basically saying the road games are losses.  I'll take the over please and thank you.

2 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

I made it as far as Maryland on this list. He has them winning 3 games and their ONE conference win being.....us? 

1 minute ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I made it as far as Maryland on this list. He has them winning 3 games and their ONE conference win being.....us? 

yeah he essentially admitted he was a hater and that IU hadn't proven anything. Okay that is fine. 

BUT IU is 4-0 in its last 4 games against Purdue and maryland yet he has IU losing both games. whatever 

5 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

yeah he essentially admitted he was a hater and that IU hadn't proven anything. Okay that is fine. 

BUT IU is 4-0 in its last 4 games against Purdue and maryland yet he has IU losing both games. whatever 

Yeah I tend to agree with the sentiment that we still have a lot to prove as a program. But it's hard to deny the momentum we have right now, and even if he thought last season was a bit a fluke in some way, we still have a ton of talent returning. What's interesting is what if he's right and we go 7-5 but actually WIN a mid tier bowl game? I'd make the argument that we haven't lost any momentum in that scenario. 

3 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Yeah I tend to agree with the sentiment that we still have a lot to prove as a program. But it's hard to deny the momentum we have right now, and even if he thought last season was a bit a fluke in some way, we still have a ton of talent returning. What's interesting is what if he's right and we go 7-5 but actually WIN a mid tier bowl game? I'd make the argument that we haven't lost any momentum in that scenario. 

Agree. Listen... if anyone ******* about a 7-5 season I'll be the first to clock them. When we had Lynch or GG.. we would have killed for 7-5. I'm taking NOTHING for granted, our favorite football program is relevant. Enjoy it. 

14 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

7-5 would be disappointing but a bowl win to put us 8-5 wouldn’t be anything to sneeze at. I’m hoping for 8-9 regular season wins and a bowl win to top it off. I am a little concerned that last year was a flukey season for us so I’m really hoping for a strong season to put that to bed. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

7-5 would be disappointing but a bowl win to put us 8-5 wouldn’t be anything to sneeze at. I’m hoping for 8-9 regular season wins and a bowl win to top it off. I am a little concerned that last year was a flukey season for us so I’m really hoping for a strong season to put that to bed. 

Yeah 7-5 wouldn't be ideal but this years schedule on paper looks tougher than the 7-5 season from two years ago. There could really be some marquee wins in those 7 that would make a lot of us happy. 

28 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Yeah 7-5 wouldn't be ideal but this years schedule on paper looks tougher than the 7-5 season from two years ago. There could really be some marquee wins in those 7 that would make a lot of us happy. 

Yeah a lot of it for me would depend on what that 7-5 looks like in terms of who we beat, what those wins look like, and what the losses look like. I can live with getting beat by teams like OSU and PSU if we’re not completely outclasses by them. I’d like to try to make it to the Penn State game as that’ll be the closest one to me this year. Would be awesome if we’re 4-0 heading into that one with wins against Iowa and Cincinnati.