Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

IUFB Offseason Updates

2 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

It's truly unbelievable that being included in this article isn't crazy. We are even listed as a statement game for Cincy. Read that again. A win AT INDIANA in FOOTBALL will be a statement win for a team with playoff aspirations. It's just incredible what Tom Allen has going in Bloomington right now. Even if we end the season 8-4 and in the Music City bowl (selfishly, not a terrible outcome!) I'll still believe it's incredible where our football program is at. 

I will drink Nashville out of beer if we get a bowl game there. I absolutely love it there. We hardly even make it down Broadway when we go... have found tons of local watering holes. I do like Acme. 

Just now, btownqb said:

I will drink Nashville out of beer if we get a bowl game there. I absolutely love it there. We hardly even make it down Broadway when we go... have found tons of local watering holes. I do like Acme. 

Hah. Funny you say that. I've been here 14 years now and I nearly refuse to go to Broadway now. I get the appeal for people visiting though. I live over in East Nashville. Lots of great spots off the beaten path over here. Of course we have a 3 and 5 year old so we rarely get to do much of anything like that anymore. 

2 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Hah. Funny you say that. I've been here 14 years now and I nearly refuse to go to Broadway now. I get the appeal for people visiting though. I live over in East Nashville. Lots of great spots off the beaten path over here. Of course we have a 3 and 5 year old so we rarely get to do much of anything like that anymore. 

Love East Nashville. We are ready for Beyond the Edge to open back up. Also sad the place right next to 3 Crows closed. We went to a hockey game the last time we were down there... loved it. 

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Love East Nashville. We are ready for Beyond the Edge to open back up. Also sad the place right next to 3 Crows closed. We went to a hockey game the last time we were down there... loved it. 

Yeah I think you might be talking about Tenn16? That was a good spot, and what I liked most was it was a low key place to watch sports on this side of town (I can't handle the smoke at Beyond the Edge) with a solid beer list that was fairly priced (a Good People IPA for $5 instead of $8). Lot's of places over here got the double whammy of being hit by the tornado right before COVID hit, and some haven't made it. I'm not even sure what my favorite hang would be at this point since we haven't gotten a chance to check out several new places. I'm just glad BoomBozz opened back up. It's a bit cheesy, but hey it's a place with a decent beer selection and a playground outside for the kids. 

1 hour ago, ThompsonHoosier said:

https://twitter.com/_damarjhelewis/status/1384582760120127491/photo/1

DL Damarjhe Lewis enters the transfer portal. I was actually pretty high on him after hearing great things from practices last season.

I expected him to be a substantial contributor this coming year. Very surprised by this. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

yeah.. they couldn't crack the depth chart 

Thanks for sharing.

There's an uptick in DEs entering the portal.  

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Season/2021-Football/TransferPortal/

So are some of these transfers also playing DT or OLB as well?  I'm not sure I fully understand the position because Alfred Bryant is listed as an OLB but last year he played DE.  And C.J. Person is listed as a DT but I recall seeing him playing DE.  

I suppose they're just defensive line positions in general?  While I truly hate to see these cats enter their names in the portal I do like the amount of depth IUFB has at those positions.  CTA doing his thang.  Defense.

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

Thanks for sharing.

There's an uptick in DEs entering the portal.  

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Season/2021-Football/TransferPortal/

So are some of these transfers also playing DT or OLB as well?  I'm not sure I fully understand the position because Alfred Bryant is listed as an OLB but last year he played DE.  And C.J. Person is listed as a DT but I recall seeing him playing DE.  

I suppose they're just defensive line positions in general?  While I truly hate to see these cats enter their names in the portal I do like the amount of depth IUFB has at those positions.  CTA doing his thang.  Defense.

Weakside DE is essentially just a standup OLB. They are the edge players. DK is going to play A LOT there. CJ is like Swann.. he is a tweener... he isn't really a DE, but not really a DT either. Especially when we go "under" looks where we might cover up all 5 linemen. We did this quite a bit against UW. 

DK was playing DE/OLB when he got the safety on Lil Tua. 

I absolutely love the way we play defense. We were so good last year in scheming. The stuff we did on the goal line last year vs. UW was just awesome. We also do a GREAT job of putting our guys in different spots to be successful. We subbed Fitz out on obvious passing downs and allowed Mullen or Johnson to play the Husky position. I could go on and on about the different things we do defensively, but I'll stop lol .... I really have zero worries about the defensive side of the ball and haven't for awhile. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Weakside DE is essentially just a standup OLB. They are the edge players. DK is going to play A LOT there. CJ is like Swann.. he is a tweener... he isn't really a DE, but not really a DT either. Especially when we go "under" looks where we might cover up all 5 linemen. We did this quite a bit against UW. 

DK was playing DE/OLB when he got the safety on Lil Tua. 

I absolutely love the way we play defense. We were so good last year in scheming. The stuff we did on the goal line last year vs. UW was just awesome. We also do a GREAT job of putting our guys in different spots to be successful. We subbed Fitz out on obvious passing downs and allowed Mullen or Johnson to play the Husky position. I could go on and on about the different things we do defensively, but I'll stop lol .... I really have zero worries about the defensive side of the ball and haven't for awhile. 

The Dude abides. 

48 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

The oldest McCullough, Deland II, a Safety transfer from Miami (OH) has announced his commitment to IU - one more to go ; )

image.thumb.png.89929d9efb9cc5319d69444c6a1cd572.png

I find it interesting that all his kids play on defense. You’d think there’d be at least one RB, WR or TE in the group. 

4 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

I find it interesting that all his kids play on defense. You’d think there’d be at least one RB, WR or TE in the group. 

You gotta be elite, elite speed to play RB, almost always. 

Defense is where the athletes are.  

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You gotta be elite, elite speed to play RB, almost always. 

Defense is where the athletes are.  

Ideally, yes but it doesn’t always turn out that way (see Stevie Scott). Desan doesn’t have the body for RB but if he has the hands he’d be perfect for TE. I believe he runs a 4.74 40 already. I don’t know what Daeh’s and Deland Jr’s speed and agility are rated at but Daeh is already a pretty big kid for a CB. He may end up as big as Desan by the time he graduates HS. 

1 hour ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Ideally, yes but it doesn’t always turn out that way (see Stevie Scott). Desan doesn’t have the body for RB but if he has the hands he’d be perfect for TE. I believe he runs a 4.74 40 already. I don’t know what Daeh’s and Deland Jr’s speed and agility are rated at but Daeh is already a pretty big kid for a CB. He may end up as big as Desan by the time he graduates HS. 

Daeh is a prototype for a Safety. 

Stevie still ran a 4.66. But could they play RB sure.. but they aren't sniffing a RB position in the NFL.