Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

IUFB Offseason Updates

Per Jon Blau (@John_Blau) on Twitter: 

• Some changes on IU's spring roster, just scanning: D.J. Matthews was originally going to wear No. 7. He's now listed as No. 1, taking Whop Philyor's number. That's also the same number as his Jacksonville buddy, safety Devon Matthews, so that's interesting. #iufb

• As Tom Allen said earlier, Kasey Teegardin is now special teams coordinator and outside linebackers coach, or the "bull" d-end spot. The change with the position is noted on the roster, as D.K. Bonhomme, Lance Bryant, and Mike Ziemba are all listed as outside 'backers now. #iubb

• A bunch of weight changes:

OT Luke Haggard: was 275 last year, now 291.
    OG Mackenzie Nworah: was 322, now 292.
    DT Sio Nofoagatoto'a: was 315, now 305.
    LB Micah McFadden: was 235, now 227
    OT Matthew Bedford: was 314, now 304
    DE Caleb Murphy (was a TE): 260 to now 270
    #iufb

• Also, don't think this is necessarily new, because heard it mentioned late last season by WR coach Grant Heard, but Gary Cooper isn't classified as a TE anymore on the roster. He's a WR on the roster, at 6-2, 213. #iufb

2 hours ago, ThompsonHoosier said:

Per Jon Blau (@John_Blau) on Twitter: 

• Some changes on IU's spring roster, just scanning: D.J. Matthews was originally going to wear No. 7. He's now listed as No. 1, taking Whop Philyor's number. That's also the same number as his Jacksonville buddy, safety Devon Matthews, so that's interesting. #iufb

• As Tom Allen said earlier, Kasey Teegardin is now special teams coordinator and outside linebackers coach, or the "bull" d-end spot. The change with the position is noted on the roster, as D.K. Bonhomme, Lance Bryant, and Mike Ziemba are all listed as outside 'backers now. #iubb

• A bunch of weight changes:

OT Luke Haggard: was 275 last year, now 291.
    OG Mackenzie Nworah: was 322, now 292.
    DT Sio Nofoagatoto'a: was 315, now 305.
    LB Micah McFadden: was 235, now 227
    OT Matthew Bedford: was 314, now 304
    DE Caleb Murphy (was a TE): 260 to now 270
    #iufb

• Also, don't think this is necessarily new, because heard it mentioned late last season by WR coach Grant Heard, but Gary Cooper isn't classified as a TE anymore on the roster. He's a WR on the roster, at 6-2, 213. #iufb

Haggard + 15 lbs could be a really good one.

Tom Allen heads into spring ball with money and momentum.

See what he has to say about having the full support of the university behind him, plus updates on Penix, position and coaching staff changes, and much more.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/tom-allen-heads-into-spring-ball-with-money-and-momentum/

43 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I think it was after the home Purdue loss where Dakich said on his radio show that he was getting texts from angry former players about the product. I think everyone or done with Archie, so it will be interesting to see what happens because another year will be pretty bad in terms of fans and coach!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I wonder if the almost guaranteed success of the football team could help the administration rationalize keeping Archie one more year.

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I wonder if the almost guaranteed success of the football team could help the administration rationalize keeping Archie one more year.

It might, but the administration should realize that success in a sport/team that people don’t care nearly as much about as basketball isn’t going to satisfy the angry mob. It doesn’t matter how good the football team will be. The fans will still be at Archie’s neck all season. 

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

What’s football success? I believe the roster loses a lot going into next season. 6 or 7 wins? IU is not a football school and recruiting is routinely in the bottom 4 of the conference. IU is probably back to 4th in the Big East next season. 

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

What’s football success? I believe the roster loses a lot going into next season. 6 or 7 wins? IU is not a football school and recruiting is routinely in the bottom 4 of the conference. IU is probably back to 4th in the Big East next season. 

IU football is returning eight starters on offense and eight on defense.

And we’ll be really deep, especially at qb.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Geez...wrong thread, but IU football is returning eight starters on offense and eight on defense.

And we’ll be really deep, especially at qb.

I’m not an IU football fan. But the OSU, PSU, UM fans respect IU but see it as a one year spike. Until it’s multiple years above a PSU and UM in a row, I wouldn’t count on IUFB being a power and a reason to put basketball on the back burner. IU basketball is king not football. 

edit: if they are thinking football will be bringing in revenue, then great. There shouldn’t be an issue to making basketball better too. 

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I’m not an IU football fan. But the OSU, PSU, UM fans respect IU but see it as a one year spike. Until it’s multiple years above a PSU and UM in a row, I wouldn’t count on IUFB being a power and a reason to put basketball on the back burner. IU basketball is king not football. 

IU fans will forget about any football success the second that the basketball season starts. The football team just had its best season in decades and it’s already an afterthought because of how bad the basketball team is. 

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

I’ve been of the opinion for a while that we should set our sights on overtaking MSU in the East. Consistent winning seasons, mostly around 8 wins, occasionally breaking through for 10 or 11 but not unquestionable to have a 4 or 5 win turd mixed in. We aren’t gonna be OSU, PSU or UM overnight, but can compete with them and be better than some of them occasionally, last like year. 

As for next year, I think PSU bounces back but there is no evidence Mich will be better than us. OSU loses Fields and a new QB taking over is always an unknown. No reason we can’t be at least top 3 in the East but compete for better than that. 

On 3/13/2021 at 10:42 AM, NashvilleHoosier said:

I’ve been of the opinion for a while that we should set our sights on overtaking MSU in the East. Consistent winning seasons, mostly around 8 wins, occasionally breaking through for 10 or 11 but not unquestionable to have a 4 or 5 win turd mixed in. We aren’t gonna be OSU, PSU or UM overnight, but can compete with them and be better than some of them occasionally, last like year. 

As for next year, I think PSU bounces back but there is no evidence Mich will be better than us. OSU loses Fields and a new QB taking over is always an unknown. No reason we can’t be at least top 3 in the East but compete for better than that. 

I agree with this. MSU is down right now and IU is doing well. If IU can get a few consecutive years of 8+ wins I see no reason the Hoosiers can't make that jump (long term). The coaching is already very good and logic would state that the recruiting will continue to improve with a winning image.

Where did Allen's raise come from?  With Dolson saying he had to fire Coach Bum making sure it had no impact within the university's finances, did he have a booster contribute to Allen's raise too?

8 hours ago, Josh said:

Where did Allen's raise come from?  With Dolson saying he had to fire Coach Bum making sure it had no impact within the university's finances, did he have a booster contribute to Allen's raise too?

Part of the raise is coming from betting on increased revenue by the Football team this fall.  You know the University has to be counting on some momentum from last year, and the fact KNOCK ON WOOD, Covid is down to a level that fans can come back to the stadium.  The pent up demand to do things this fall is going to be out of this world. 

Part of the raise is coming from betting on increased revenue by the Football team this fall.  You know the University has to be counting on some momentum from last year, and the fact KNOCK ON WOOD, Covid is down to a level that fans can come back to the stadium.  The pent up demand to do things this fall is going to be out of this world. 
I'll bet stadiums are full for the start of the season. At some point these businesses that rely on venues being full are going to say enough is enough and I think that's soon. Just MO but I think we'll see sold out stadiums by fall at least. I hope. Also I agree that the success and projection of more success is probably what justified his raise.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Just now, rcs29 said:

I'll bet stadiums are full for the start of the season. At some point these businesses that rely on venues being full are going to say enough is enough and I think that's soon. Just MO but I think we'll see sold out stadiums by fall at least. I hope. Also I agree that the success and projection of more success is probably what justified his raise.

Well I don't know about a sell out for Memorial Stadium.  That doesn't happen very often.  :)

I do know the ticket office is working really hard trying to get increased ticket sales, and from what I hear third hand, they are being very successful.  

Well I don't know about a sell out for Memorial Stadium.  That doesn't happen very often.  :)

I do know the ticket office is working really hard trying to get increased ticket sales, and from what I hear third hand, they are being very successful.  
I'm just saying stadiums in general but I'd be willing to bet that game against Cincinnati will be sold out. Man I hope so that program deserves our support.

I almost had my wife convinced to let us by season tickets for next year.  Our oldest is living in Indianapolis, and would love to head down for some football games.  Unfortunately, she said she wanted to fly home for Christmas instead.  :(