Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

IUFB Offseason Updates

1 hour ago, lucel15 said:

Didn’t say that at all. Just because he’s third right now doesn’t mean he can’t grow into his potential. I just know Penix and Ramsey have been very sharp. Very very sharp compared to tuttle. This is an actual competition. Tuttle wasn’t promised anything at IU. He’s known it was going to be a competition from the start. He’s shown some flashes here and there but he hasn’t been consistent like the other two from what I’ve heard. 

And I think that's to be expected considering he's new and missed spring training

5 minutes ago, Crimson and Cream said:

And I think that's to be expected considering he's new and missed spring training

Correct. Ik he’s impressed with some of his deep touches on the ball, just a consistency thing I believe from what I’ve read, heard, and saw. I think spring was getting back to the swing of things he didn’t do much since he left Utah in October. Then he got sick at the end of spring ball and was held out of the last few practices, lifting, and spring game  (my diagnosis is Mono). He looked smaller in spring game which was about 2 weeks after they announced he was done for the spring, give or take a few days. I think he will continue to grow and will be a solid player and push everyone around him. I’d rather give him time to build his frame and spend time in ballous specimen room. Heck they’ve all been praised and talked about by everyone covering them.....again a dead horse.....consistency and not turning the ball over. Managing the game to help us win, making correct Defensive reads.....it’s a learning curve for him still i would say....Penix has actual game experience so his feet are somewhat wet....not to mention he is a dynamic player...tuttle can move out of the pocket and run if he has to do so....but let’s be honest he’s not a runner like Ramsey or Penix. As coaches have been saying all fall or really all offseason....they want to breed competition, nobody’s backing down, iron sharpens iron. 

8 minutes ago, lucel15 said:

Correct. Ik he’s impressed with some of his deep touches on the ball, just a consistency thing I believe from what I’ve read, heard, and saw. I think spring was getting back to the swing of things he didn’t do much since he left Utah in October. Then he got sick at the end of spring ball and was held out of the last few practices, lifting, and spring game  (my diagnosis is Mono). He looked smaller in spring game which was about 2 weeks after they announced he was done for the spring, give or take a few days. I think he will continue to grow and will be a solid player and push everyone around him. I’d rather give him time to build his frame and spend time in ballous specimen room. Heck they’ve all been praised and talked about by everyone covering them.....again a dead horse.....consistency and not turning the ball over. Managing the game to help us win, making correct Defensive reads.....it’s a learning curve for him still i would say....Penix has actual game experience so his feet are somewhat wet....not to mention he is a dynamic player...tuttle can move out of the pocket and run if he has to do so....but let’s be honest he’s not a runner like Ramsey or Penix. As coaches have been saying all fall or really all offseason....they want to breed competition, nobody’s backing down, iron sharpens iron. 

I think the new playcalling alone will help the offense and whoever is at QB, but it would be really nice to see someone separate themselves and make this an easy decision.

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Hey, it's Indiana football.

From the Crimson Quarry - 

The preseason AP college football poll was released today. Predictably, defending champion Clemson holds down the #1 spot, with last year’s runner-up Alabama at #2.

And for the 1,299th consecutive week, Indiana finds itself unranked in the long-standing poll. In fact, the Hoosiers did not even receive a single preseason vote. That’s one fewer vote than USC received. Virginia, who the Hoosiers defeated last year, received 44 votes.

The Hoosiers are coming up on almost 25 years since their last AP ranking, when they were the #25 team in the country on September 20, 1994. As I detailed last year in a very similar post, the Hoosiers left the rankings after a 62-13 loss to Wisconsin the next week, and have still yet to return.

Seven Big Ten teams, of which IU plays five, are ranked as well. These include Ohio State (5th), Michigan (7th), Penn State (15th), MSU (18th), Wisconsin (19th), Iowa (20th), and Nebraska (24th). Nebraska won one fewer game than IU did last year.

There are currently no plans next week for Indiana to celebrate its 1,300th consecutive week out of the rankings.

Wow 1994. I was in my prime!

On 8/19/2019 at 4:23 PM, Chris007 said:

But after seeing the scrimmage on Saturday if Penix is not the starter we need to have some serious questions and answers with the staff. He was unstoppable. 

Did he look like the clear cut best QB on the roster?

21 hours ago, cthomas said:

Began following around the end of the Jurassic period and, except for a small handful of seasons, it's been pure misery. But, once again, I'm actually looking forward to the start of the season. I clearly need professional help!

Yea there is always that early season hope that they will surprise me.

That’s got me excited! Hopefully Penix is the guy then. I think our ceiling is way higher with him at QB. WR is a huge position of strength for us with Hale, Westbrook, and Philyor. We need a QB who can take advantage of that and make the throws. 

I like Ramsey, I don’t think he’s a bad player, but teams could cheat up on him last year and he couldn’t make them pay. When we brought Penix in against Penn State, the defense was forced to open up and respect his arm. That makes a huge difference, especially when you’re playkng top end B10 teams.