Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

Do our fans understand which games are biggest?

I'm mind blown that as of now the Nebraska game is nearly sold out (just top of balcony left) but the Wisconsin game has plenty of tickets left (a good amount at top of main level and most of balcony). Do our fans not understand that they need to show up far more against Wisconsin and provide a big time atmosphere? I understand why the Illinois game has sold so well (only scattered singles left) as it is a weekend and those sell better. However, there is zero excuse for fans to be buying tickets in droves to see Nebraska but not Wisconsin. Can someone please explain this to me?   

When you say not sold out, I assume you are referring to tickets sold by the athletic department and not on the secondary market? I agree with you that this is surprising. However, I am not concerned. The Delaware State game was VERY FULL (students not in town). If that game was packed, I cannot imagine a scenario in which there are a lot of open seats for Wisconsin. 

We REALLY need the Wisconsin win. However, don't look past Nebraska. Crean seems to have a head scratching loss every year (hopefully we already had that in FW). Nebraska has some talent on their roster despite a rough start to their season.

I think the week difference is big and the remaining tickets will sell.

But also the fact as Stu said a lot of people will not be working the week of the Nebraska game, where everybody will be back at it by the Wiscy game.

Nebraska is also Big Ten Opener and I think that provides a bit of a surge as people are ready to see something besides Cupcake Eating Contest...

I don't believe the week difference matters as this has been the ticket situation for several weeks. I do think the holiday break matters and had not thought of that when posting the question. I would not be confidant in a complete sellout though. Even last year the Wisconsin game drew 14,098 in a similar situation which was the smallest announced crowd of the year (obviously many of our pre-season cupcake "sellouts" with students had way less in actuality). The lower level will sell out but don't be surprised if we get a similar 14,000-15,000 crowd like we did last year and the smallest of the Big Ten season.

This is the one game you really wish students were here and we had a maximum atmosphere. Remember Wisconsin was the team that came closest to beating us in the Hall last year. This game scares me a lot and is the one game at home I am not confident we will win. Just for reference I was very confident we would beat UNC and Kansas and was really worried about the Butler game (so far the only game that has fooled me is Fort Wayne). If anyone is interested I have a good feeling about the Louisville game.  

I don't believe the week difference matters as this has been the ticket situation for several weeks. I do think the holiday break matters and had not thought of that when posting the question. I would not be confidant in a complete sellout though. Even last year the Wisconsin game drew 14,098 in a similar situation which was the smallest announced crowd of the year (obviously many of our pre-season cupcake "sellouts" with students had way less in actuality). The lower level will sell out but don't be surprised if we get a similar 14,000-15,000 crowd like we did last year and the smallest of the Big Ten season.

This is the one game you really wish students were here and we had a maximum atmosphere. Remember Wisconsin was the team that came closest to beating us in the Hall last year. This game scares me a lot and is the one game at home I am not confident we will win. Just for reference I was very confident we would beat UNC and Kansas and was really worried about the Butler game (so far the only game that has fooled me is Fort Wayne). If anyone is interested I have a good feeling about the Louisville game.  

I think we beat louisville in a high scoring affair.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Both games are on weeknights, but the Nebraska game is during a week when many, if not most, are on winter vacation, including school age kids. 

Me and my 5th grader are making the trip from out of state for the Nebraska and UL games. (shhhh...don't tell him; it's a surprise).

What a fun idea. Great holiday gift. Are you guys watching the IU-Utah game on the big screen after the Nebraska game?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Well IU just released the remaining tickets for winter break in interactive map format where you can choose your seat so the official remaining tickets for the 3 games are:

1. Nebraska has 488 seats left with blocks of tickets left in the last few rows of the corner balcony sections and scattered singles in rest of balcony

2. Wisconsin has 7 main level singles left and about 1,600 in the balcony including large blocks in every part of it

3. Illinois has 88 singles left scattered throughout the balcony so it is essentially sold out

The announced attendance is always a little lower than tickets left based on past precedent so by the time everything sells you will probably have announced attendance similar to what is left now. Nebraska will probably be somewhere in the upper 16,000 range (capacity is now 17,222 since renovations). Wisconsin will be in the the mid 15,000's and Illinois a sellout.

Again I understand the reasoning but it blows my mind that Wisconsin is by far the toughest sell of the 3 Big Ten games. Illinois being a weekend makes sense to me but I thought ticket demand for Nebraska and Wisconsin would be flipped. It brings me back to the threads original point that fans are just looking to go to a game (and the week of holiday break is more convenient a lot) and do not really pay attention to the quality of the opponent which is to bad.

Well IU just released the remaining tickets for winter break in interactive map format where you can choose your seat so the official remaining tickets for the 3 games are:

1. Nebraska has 488 seats left with blocks of tickets left in the last few rows of the corner balcony sections and scattered singles in rest of balcony

2. Wisconsin has 7 main level singles left and about 1,600 in the balcony including large blocks in every part of it

3. Illinois has 88 singles left scattered throughout the balcony so it is essentially sold out

The announced attendance is always a little lower than tickets left based on past precedent so by the time everything sells you will probably have announced attendance similar to what is left now. Nebraska will probably be somewhere in the upper 16,000 range (capacity is now 17,222 since renovations). Wisconsin will be in the the mid 15,000's and Illinois a sellout.

Again I understand the reasoning but it blows my mind that Wisconsin is by far the toughest sell of the 3 Big Ten games. Illinois being a weekend makes sense to me but I thought ticket demand for Nebraska and Wisconsin would be flipped. It brings me back to the threads original point that fans are just looking to go to a game (and the week of holiday break is more convenient a lot) and do not really pay attention to the quality of the opponent which is to bad.

You'll see the biggest difference in the student section, most likely. Hence the reason for the increasing size and better placement for student tickets. They tweak their attendance to match the importance level of the game, where as the older crowd typically focuses more on convenience.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app