Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierAloha

Post-Butler Frustration Thread

In March of 2015, I spoke with an insider from one of the other IU boards via PM. He informed me that IU reached out to Brad Stevens at the time to gauge his interest, and Stevens didn't feel the time was right. He believes IU would have pulled the trigger and let Stevens name his price. He also believes Billy Donovan was contacted as well, but Donovan was more interested in the NBA. Glass knows how important this is and didn't want to make a change just for the sake of making a change, so when his top candidates said no thanks, he elected to stay the course. 

Crean's contract is irrelevant, and so is his buyout. There aren't very many coaches out there right now who are interested in this job who would be a significant upgrade over Crean. It sucks, but it is what it is. 

He may have reached out to gauge, but look at where our program was in that year. If you spoke with him in March it happened before the season, or probably after the 2014 NBA season. In 2014 we were terrible. No NBA coach is taking inquiries right before their season starts for college. Every one of them has hope. I think a lot has changed since Glass would have potentially inquired. As you said no coaches at this time would be an improvement. Like football with Wilson we are getting close to a point where recruiting will become an issue if there isn't an extension or change. That is why I think one or the other will happen over the next year.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He may have reached out to gauge, but look at where our program was in that year. If you spoke with him in March it happened before the season, or probably after the 2014 NBA season. In 2014 we were terrible. No NBA coach is taking inquiries right before their season starts for college. Every one of them has hope. I think a lot has changed since Glass would have potentially inquired. As you said no coaches at this time would be an improvement. Like football with Wilson we are getting close to a point where recruiting will become an issue if there isn't an extension or change. That is why I think one or the other will happen over the next year.

Agree. This is a key year. Length of contract will start to be another hurdle for recruiting.

Last year for many was the year we were supposed to be better than sweet sixteen or he had to go. Then we started off so poorly, Blackman gets hurt and suddenly they turn it around and we all put our pitchforks away.

Now this year, again we have a good team capable of beating anyone but will we advance far enough to justify another 5+ years and an extension? Will FG have the guts to make a change if we get to a top 3 BT finish and a sweet sixteen?

Soon FG will have to make this decision.

It's funny that some of you think there is no way Crean is on the hot seat whatsoever. The KU & UNC games saved him after the IPFW loss which no blue blood should have ever lost to begin with. Freddie McSwain would have been their highest ranked recruit think about that. I have been one of Crean's biggest supporters period!! His player development is the best in the COUNTRY. The thing is at IU we don't need that as awesome as it is. We should be getting good enough players regardless that just need good coaching. We haven't let him go in the last few years cause there was NO options close to as good as him so why do it? There honestly isn't many out there that I would pick now over him, but there is some. I watch the NBA{sixers} fan more than most and I know Ainge loves Brad, but has also said he wants to see major improvements and isn't afraid of change. If Brad feels the pressure he could very well come here if they cant get Hayward this offseason. Like I said Crean and our team are fine THIS year. I fully expect B1G title & a good run come March. I also expect a middle of the pack w potential to be top 3 or 6-9 next year. If the 6-9 happens and Brad with another year of Ainge pushing for a title doesn't happen I would bet anything he is a possibility. Like I said in my previous post though..I think Crean is our coach for awhile unless he himself wants a change which is highly possible too, he would be highly coveted as well. I wasn't and am not calling for his job, but like I stated next year is a HUGE year for him and it isn't even worth mentioning until this time next year. A lot can change between then as well. Crean still shows the ability to be more than a player developer though and I have faith he can take us where we should be, but he reminds me of the Troy Williams of coaching. Next year at this time I will actually consider a change if it looks needed until then...Go Hoosiers!! Pray OG get's back to full strength as well.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

All I will throw into this mix is, IU lost to Butler, who is a great team.  Yes, my Trees beat them, but that wasn't the true Butler team. They were off when the visited the Hulman Center.  Bad.  I mean, ISU got blown out at home by WKU the Sunday after knocking off Butler, then, lost by 18 on the road at Valpo, so the Sycamores beating them wasn't all that great.  I've learned not to put much stock in rankings during the season.  Let Coach show me what he can do in conference, and, during the tournament.  

14 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Glass has a tough job when it comes to Crean. Crean has done a lot of good but meanwhile has destroyed relationships in this state and always seems to fall a bit short when it counts. He wins enough to keep us relevant and keep IU fans hopeful but not sure we will ever see sustained, elite success from him and that is what many of us fans are looking for.

This was just one game but it's kind of become expected by now. Should become a betting man and at least make some money on his predictability - bet on on IU at home no matter what, lose on the road to ranked teams and lose to slow paced, well coached, methodical teams.

IU basketball is relevant?? And this IU fan right here, isn't hopeful under CTC! Put Glass on the hot seat as well then since he loves coach

13 hours ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

IMO, Newkirk should be benched. RoJo is more under control with the ball. He isn't as quick, but I trust him a lot more with the ball than JN. Even Blackmon or Juwan would be better options at the moment. JN has shown he COULD be our guy, but 4 years in college(redshirt) year concerns me it just won't happen. As a bench guy he could be better suited. RoJo, JBJ, OG, Juwan & TB should be our starters. JN, DD, CuJo & McRoberts who should see only 7-10 minutes should be our rotation. Enough of keeping kids happy and play our best guys. I thought yesterday was on coaching not our effort. The turnovers and crucial misses at the line didn't help. I love Crean and he could very well make us a contender come March, but if we don't make a Sweet Sixteen I believe it is time for him to go. I don't think there is many BETTER options and he will surely find another job and good one at that, but change just seems needed for both parties to flourish.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

Now I can "kinda" see why it was so important to CTC to get an elite PG in '17 class, and why he was "trying" to convert JMorg into a PG. This team doesn't have one! We are also missing our leader out there right now. I'm the last person that's trying to come up with an excuse for Coach Spaz! If I'm TB I start seriously worrying about my future. DD as well. Oh so much more I'd like to say here. Maybe this teams best attempt at a PG is DGreen?? And yes, I'm serious. Been saying it all year

11 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

I was thinking the same today. Short term Ive been bullish on this team but long term Ive never thought Crean takes us where we want to go. If we become middle of the pack again I can see one or both sides wanting to make a change. Things like family life change and I can even see Crean wanting to move on.

It will make the short term seem longer but hoping for this as its the best move for the program

14 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Glass has a tough job when it comes to Crean. Crean has done a lot of good but meanwhile has destroyed relationships in this state and always seems to fall a bit short when it counts. He wins enough to keep us relevant and keep IU fans hopeful but not sure we will ever see sustained, elite success from him and that is what many of us fans are looking for.

This was just one game but it's kind of become expected by now. Should become a betting man and at least make some money on his predictability - bet on on IU at home no matter what, lose on the road to ranked teams and lose to slow paced, well coached, methodical teams.

We see how "relevant" IU reallyt is more and more with recruiting, or is it bc of Spaz?

16 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Josh is a much better on ball defender, but his court vision kinda...sucks.

DeVonte Green plays offense like a true point guard.

I wouldn't say a much better on ball defender that green. He might be a little better than Green on D. But huge difference in court vision! And Green a much more confident player as well. 

8 minutes ago, yogisballin said:

I wouldn't say a much better on ball defender that green. He might be a little better than Green on D. But huge difference in court vision! And Green a much more confident player as well. 

All true, but if DeVonte's minutes are expanded, we're gonna have to be able to live with many more mistakes from DeVonte than we've been used to seeing in his limited minutes.

7 minutes ago, Napleshoosier said:

Green would really have to step up and get rid of freshman mistakes. I don't know.

Agree. But hey, we're trying to win a championship, and while I like Josh N on the defensive end, I'm starting to get the distinct impression that he's a crappy distributor who, as a red-shirt junior, has limited room for improvement in that area.

DGreen, on the other hand, has very good court vision, not just for a freshman, but for any guard. If he's gonna iron out the mistakes isn't right now, when our next three games are against Delaware State, Austin Peay, and Nebraska, the time to do it?

Last post's I don't know is right on.We lost Yogi no Colin for on court leadership.We have beaten 2 teams that has us fans over the moon.Lost 2 close games one in OT . You can choose why Turnovers,point guard, shot selections.I think we'll be fine not perfect but fine.Cujo will get better that's huge for JBJ ,OG will keep on coming Juwan is high level.DD & TB together can be special.I like Rob better than Josh starting at point.Josh off the bench less pressure provides energy. hang in there guys gonna be ok.Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Agree. But hey, we're trying to win a championship, and while I like Josh N on the defensive end, I'm starting to get the distinct impression that he's a crappy distributor who, as a red-shirt junior, has limited room for improvement in that area.

DGreen, on the other hand, has very good court vision, not just for a freshman, but for any guard. If he's gonna iron out the mistakes isn't right now, when our next three games are against Delaware State, Austin Peay, and Nebraska, the time to do it?

It would ABSOLUTELY be the best time to try and iron those mistakes out/maybe give some extra time to gel there too. I'm not buying these "freshman mistakes" thing either. Every MAJOR D1 school in the country are playing freshman in meaningful minutes category. JN would be best suited for the remainder of the season to come off the bench to maybe try to provide a spark. I'm looking for a transfer possibly to a mid major at seasons end here. Just not the greatest fit. I believe Spaz saw this early on? 

It would ABSOLUTELY be the best time to try and iron those mistakes out/maybe give some extra time to gel there too. I'm not buying these "freshman mistakes" thing either. Every MAJOR D1 school in the country are playing freshman in meaningful minutes category. JN would be best suited for the remainder of the season to come off the bench to maybe try to provide a spark. I'm looking for a transfer possibly to a mid major at seasons end here. Just not the greatest fit. I believe Spaz saw this early on? 

Coach Spaz? Come on buddy, everyone knows the rules