Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Kevin Wilson Resigned

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/hoosier-insider/2016/12/02/indiana-hoosiers-kevin-wilson-resign-buyout-contract/94803910/

Did he actually take that big of a cut though? The way I read this Indy star article if he got the full amount he was owed he would get about $2.5 million total over the duration of his contract, but then whatever he made at a new job would be subtracted from the total... There was never a $12 million buyout or anything on the table. This way he's getting a guaranteed $542k from IU next season on top of whatever he gets elsewhere. He's basically betting on himself being able to find a job that pays more than he could've gotten from IU. I'm not saying that none of the reported stuff happened and that he's 100% innocent, but rather that the buyout he agreed to itself doesn't necessarily point to there being more in the shadows than reported. 

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/hoosier-insider/2016/12/02/indiana-hoosiers-kevin-wilson-resign-buyout-contract/94803910/

Did he actually take that big of a cut though? The way I read this Indy star article if he got the full amount he was owed he would get about $2.5 million total over the duration of his contract, but then whatever he made at a new job would be subtracted from the total... There was never a $12 million buyout or anything on the table. This way he's getting a guaranteed $542k from IU next season on top of whatever he gets elsewhere. He's basically betting on himself being able to find a job that pays more than he could've gotten from IU. I'm not saying that none of the reported stuff happened and that he's 100% innocent, but rather that the buyout he agreed to itself doesn't necessarily point to there being more in the shadows than reported. 

True but the question is, will he get a job as good as this one. IU not by any means a football power but this job is better than a coordinator job or a HC at a lower level. So perhaps he gave up a smaller amount by betting on himself - the payout on that bet is not likely going to be better than where he was.

Even when Mike Davis left he got more $. Coaches don't usually leave like this, they take the firing $ and then go and get another job. So if he comes out flat by doing this the "bet on himself" I have to believe he still would have preferred to stay at IU

10 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It could've been a mistunderstanding of the details on my part.  The way you laid it out, the buyout details wouldn't point to something more, but the fact that he so willingly took it and didn't fight says there is.

As I said, these reports are always carefully worded.  Some other details may leak out but there are normally things left that the general public doesn't know.

13 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

It could've been a mistunderstanding of the details on my part.  The way you laid it out, the buyout details wouldn't point to something more, but the fact that he so willingly took it and didn't fight says there is.

As I said, these reports are always carefully worded.  Some other details may leak out but there are normally things left that the general public doesn't know.

I might be wrong, idk, that's just how I interpreted it when I was reading the article. I agree with 8bucks though. I doubt he'll be able to find a more lucrative coaching job than his full buyout would've been, especially with the things that are coming out about him.

I definitely agree it's telling that he so willingly left and didn't try fighting it at all. I wish we could find out more of the details. I hate having to do all this speculating. 

15 hours ago, Josh said:

Is that firable?  I mean, we've seen players like Jordan Howard who wouldn't play despite clearance.  Wilson didn't make him play.

Tonight we've heard that Tom Crean makes OG shoot the ball while injured.  How similar is that?  Are we firing coaches for bad words?  I hate this firing.

Yes, OG is shooting the ball WHILE SITTING IN A CHAIR ON THE COURT. It is his ankle that is injured, not his arms. No similarity at all, but I am starting to believe that nothing anyone says will ever convince you that Wilson had various problems, not just player treatment problems.

13 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I've been trying to say this! The way his contract was set up he would have only gotten a buyout if he didn't get a new contract over 542k, in college football that isn't that much. 100 head coaches and 60 assistants made more than that last year and the number increases every year. This way the 542k is guranteed for one year regardless of employment status. Saying Wilson gave up 12 million dollars is 100% false. He may have given up 2 million if he doesn't get hired by anyone.

16 hours ago, Josh said:

Is that firable?  I mean, we've seen players like Jordan Howard who wouldn't play despite clearance.  Wilson didn't make him play.

Tonight we've heard that Tom Crean makes OG shoot the ball while injured.  How similar is that?  Are we firing coaches for bad words?  I hate this firing.

Wilson wasn't fired. He resigned. That is where I think you are mistaken.

Unless you know something we don't? Please share the link.

Wouldn't want Glass' job. Just wouldn't.

I have to believe him though.

"I'm an IU guy. I grew up in Indiana. I went to school at Indiana. My mom went to school at Indiana. My kids went to school at Indiana. I have a senior at Indiana. And my focus is Indiana" .

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

22 hours ago, hsrtxp said:

Wouldn't want Glass' job. Just wouldn't.

I have to believe him though.

"I'm an IU guy. I grew up in Indiana. I went to school at Indiana. My mom went to school at Indiana. My kids went to school at Indiana. I have a senior at Indiana. And my focus is Indiana" .

He left a lot of money to take this job.

30 minutes ago, hsrtxp said:

http://www.wthr.com/article/kravitz-former-hoosier-football-player-donovan-clark-they-wanted-to-win-more-badly-than-they

Kravitz update. Another player talking about playing injured, being cleared and denied a transfer.

That article paints a picture where both the training staff and Wilson are at fault.

Here's the Booth article:

http://www.wthr.com/article/kravitz-former-iu-player-booth-steps-forward-sheds-light-on-why-wilson-was-forced-to-resign

This makes it sound like the trainers would do what they did out of fear of Wilson.

That article paints a picture where both the training staff and Wilson are at fault.

Here's the Booth article:

http://www.wthr.com/article/kravitz-former-iu-player-booth-steps-forward-sheds-light-on-why-wilson-was-forced-to-resign

This makes it sound like the trainers would do what they did out of fear of Wilson.

The HC has to set that culture and fear though. Makes no sense that renegade trainers would do this on their own. An earlier article mentioned that the trainers were a little fearful to go to the coaches with the info on hurt players so perhaps Wilson set the tone by chewing them out which caused them to push guys harder.

Regardless though the memo from Glass to Wilson said Wilson had to make sure he and his staff were not doing the prior bad things. He was responsible for his staff

18 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

The HC has to set that culture and fear though. Makes no sense that renegade trainers would do this on their own. An earlier article mentioned that the trainers were a little fearful to go to the coaches with the info on hurt players so perhaps Wilson set the tone by chewing them out which caused them to push guys harder.

Regardless though the memo from Glass to Wilson said Wilson had to make sure he and his staff were not doing the prior bad things. He was responsible for his staff

I'm in agreement.  In the Booth article I posted one of Booth's quotes even said a trainer told him they weren't getting cussed out by Wilson over him, which would tell me Wilson had done that before.  If what Booth had said about Wilson lying to the schools he wanted to transfer to is true, on top of everything else, he absolutely deserved to be let go.

My post was more of adding my thoughts especially since a poster had said it sounded like more of a trainer issue, but those articles make it sound like it stemmed from Wilson.

I'm not sticking up for CKW but it seems like the majority of schools have these issues. We were trying to win with medium talent. It seems to me CKW was putting heavy pressure on players to perform and exceed their talents. The cream rose to the top and seemed to like CKW, others couldn't handle it and sunk.

Having said that Glass probably knows of more unscrupulous behavior that we don't know.

Otherwise this has the makings of a HC pushing to find the most mentally and physically tough individuals, yet crossing the line in certain ways to achieve it.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I'm not sticking up for CKW but it seems like the majority of schools have these issues. We were trying to win with medium talent. It seems to me CKW was putting heavy pressure on players to perform and exceed their talents. The cream rose to the top and seemed to like CKW, others couldn't handle it and sunk.

Having said that Glass probably knows of more unscrupulous behavior that we don't know.

Otherwise this has the makings of a HC pushing to find the most mentally and physically tough individuals, yet crossing the line in certain ways to achieve it.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Pushing players is fine and expected. They should be pushed to find that new level and reach their potential. No question about that.

Cussing out, pressuring and calling out your medical support staff is unacceptable. They should be supported to get the players back, healthy. Med staff gets the final call independent of the coach. They aren't their to serve the coaches. They are there to serve and protect the athletes.