Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) SG Grace Berger to IUWBB

JEFFERSONVILLE — Indiana fans will get a chance to watch a future Hoosier on Thursday night (12/7) when Grace Berger and the Sacred Heart (Ky.) Valkyries visit the Jeffersonville Red Devils at 7:30 p.m.

Jeffersonville is coming off two big wins in a three-game win streak and coach Mike Warren’s Red Devils have compiled a 6-2 record. That said, it’ll take a big effort to beat the 3-0 Valkyries – led by one of Kentucky’s best players.

“This is a fun game for me because a lot of my family who live in Indiana are able to come,” Berger said. “I’m looking forward to seeing them in the crowd cheering for Sacred Heart and wearing their IU gear.”

Berger, a 6-foot All-State guard, signed a national letter of intent with the Hoosiers on Nov. 8, and Indiana head coach Teri Moren already has plans for the versatile backcourt talent. She spoke about Berger on that day.

“Grace can play, she can play at all three levels,” Moren said. “When she has the ball in her hands it’s like she has a ball on a string, she has tremendous ball handling ability. She can score at the basket and has a terrific mid-range game, can stretch out and shoot the three with consistency.”

The Hoosiers should be pleased – but not surprised – that Berger chose Indiana over some highly regarded programs in the area.

“When I was visiting all of the different schools, Indiana stood out from the very beginning,” she said. “Not only will I be surrounding myself with great people, but I am also about to be a part of an exciting program that’s on the rise while attending a great university.”

Among the proud members of Grace’s family that will be in the crowd are her mother Mary Charlotte, a New Albany native and a former Providence Pioneer, along with her father, Todd Berger. For Grace, family has been a part of basketball from the start.

“My older brother and sister were always outside shooting baskets with my dad when I was a toddler, so I initially got interested in basketball because I was trying to be like them,” Grace said. “As early as second grade, I came home from school or other sports practices and immediately went outside in my driveway for hours at a time to practice basketball. I still do it to this day just because I love the game so much.”

Mary Charlotte might be one of the reasons Grace is going to Indiana, but her height – and love of the sport — comes from Todd, a 6-4 graduate of St. Xavier (Ky.).

“My dad is one of the few people who I have met who loves basketball as much as I do. He and I have definitely bonded over our passion for the game,” Grace said. “Over the years we have spent countless hours practicing, watching or just talking about it together.”

It’s a conversation that can continue with her entire family given the short drive to Bloomington.

“Location was a big factor in my college decision because it was always important that I pick a place where my family and friends could visit and come to my games,” Grace said. “My mom and her entire family have always been huge Indiana fans, so they were definitely excited when I chose IU.”

Place Moren among that group that is glad Berger chose the Hoosiers.

“Grace is a quiet kid by nature, but just a fierce competitor. She loves the game,” Moren said. “She’s another proven winner from a great high school. I’m real excited just about what she going to bring. We really feel like she can play almost four positions for us, but obviously she’s a natural wing. Grace is a cerebral player. She makes players around her better with an unbelievable ability to pass.”

Even before playing a game at Indiana, Berger knows what she can bring to the table.

“I’m a big guard so I can use my height advantage to get open shots for my teammates or myself,” she said.

Berger has used that size and talent to put together quite a career at Sacred Heart.

As a junior, she averaged 14.5 points, 8.6 rebounds and 3.5 assists and has led her team to a 72-25 overall record, including a 2017 7th region championship and appearance in the state finals. She is a three-time All-Region first team honoree, three-time All-Region tournament team selection, 2017 first team All-State and 2016 and 2017 Louisville Invitational All-Tournament team.

Berger is ranked by ESPN as a five-star recruit and No. 46 overall, but all of the accolades pale in comparison to the high regard Sacred Heart coach Donna Moir holds for her.

“Grace is probably one of the most skilled players I’ve ever coached. Excellent ball handling ability. She’s a tough match up. She does a little bit of everything for us,” Moir said.

Moir knows of what she speaks. The Kentucky Sports Hall of Fame member is coaching a program that has produced 13 All-State players.

“She is very talented, very gifted and works really hard,” Moir said of Berger. “Basketball is her passion. She’s been a leader and a great teammate. She has a legit chance to by Miss Basketball.”

And for Berger, making the decision before the official start of her senior season removed some of the pressure that might accompany waiting.

“It’s nice to have my college decision over with and it feels good to officially be a part of the Indiana program,” she said. “I am still completely focused on my team at Sacred Heart and finishing my high school career strong with a state championship.”

And for all of the fans watching the Red Devils take on the Valkyries, it’ll be interesting to see how Jeffersonville defends the 6-foot guard from across the river.

Or fun to watch – depending on who you’re rooting for.

“She’s fun to watch,” Moir said. “She’s definitely a player you want to watch.”

21 minutes ago, ccgeneral said:

SHA improved to 4-0 last night. Grace with 14 points, 4 stls and 3 rebs.

Newspaper account of the game:  http://www.newsandtribune.com/sports/girls-basketball-devils-lose-late-lead-in-loss-to-sacred/article_b22df840-dbcc-11e7-8895-47e24c63b252.html

FINAL:   #2 Sacred Heart beats Eastern 86-56. Valkyries start off hot and cruise to a victory over a tough 7th Region foe who had already scored a couple top 10 wins.  SHA's Grace Berger finished with 24 points, 13 rebounds and 5 assists on 9/15 shooting.

Berger's game today vs.  Mesquite (AZ) in the Nike Tournament of Champions is available online at:

https://streamteamlive.cleeng.com/sacred-heart-academy-ky-vs-mesquite-az/E704537959_US?firstTime=true

Tipoff slated for 11:00 MST which I believe is 2:00 E.T.

My bad on the tipoff.  Game already underway and at the end of 1, Sacred Heart trailed Mesquite 19-16.

My apologies.

Halftime score:  Sacred Heart leads 34-28.

FINAL:  Sacred Heart 78 - Mesquite 66.    So far no individual stats  available.

Edited by Class of '66 Old Fart
Score Updates

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

My bad on the tipoff.  Game already underway and at the end of 1, Sacred Heart trailed Mesquite 19-16.

My apologies.

Halftime score:  Sacred Heart leads 34-28.

FINAL:  Sacred Heart 78 - Mesquite 66.    So far no individual stats  available.

17 pts and 6 rebs yesterday in a loss.

19 pts and 14 rebs today.

@louwsports: Here are your Seventh Region stat leaders. http://louisvillewomensports.com/?p=15217 

Points per game.
1. Alexis Nelson (27.0) – St. Francis
2. Jaela Johnson (20.4) – Manual
3. Shelby Calhoun (20.2) – Christian Academy (offer)
4. Mia Beam (16.1) – Christian Academy
5. Trinitie Sutton (15.8) – Collegiate
6. Darian Neal (15.2) – Central
7. Courtney Jackson (15.1) – Presentation
8. Nila Blackford (15.0) – Manual
9. Grace Berger (14.9) – Sacred Heart
10. Alexis Ledford (14.7) – Kentucky Country Day

Rebounds per game.
1. Shelby Calhoun (16.1) – Christian Academy (offer)
2. Alexandria Henderson (9.1) – Brown
3. Haylee Wright (9.0) – Collegiate
4. Grace Berger (8.4) – Sacred Heart
5. Courtney Jackson (8.4) – Presentation
6. Caroline Pepa (8.2) – St. Francis
7. Lily Johnson (8.0) – St. Francis
8. Nila Blackford (7.9) – Manual
9. Aniah Griffin (7.4) – Manual
10. Alexis Nelson (7.1) – St. Francis

Sacred Heart continued its recent dominance over visiting archrival Assumption with an emphatic 62-27 win Sunday night. Including the postseason, the Valkyries have won seven straight games versus the Rockets.  Berger led the Valkyries with a team-high 16 points, including six in the first quarter.

Sacred Heart 60, Bullitt East 49

The first half was quite ugly, Bullitt East (11-7) led 19-12 at one point in the second quarter, and Sacred Heart (15-5) trailed 23-21 at halftime.

Grace Berger didn’t score a point in the opening half, but it was her jumper that gave the Valkyries a 25-23 lead with 6:43 remaining in the third quarter.

Bullitt East never led again as they were outscored 39-26 in the second half.

Samsel was the Valkyries saving grace with nine first half points and finished with 12 points hitting 4 of 12 three pointers. Berger finished with 13 points and eight rebounds. Erin Toller chipped in nine points and Clemons added 13 points and 10 rebounds and made 11 of 12 from the free throw line.

@ConorRevell: STORY - SHA captures first LIT title in 11 years | CatholicSportsNet http://www.catholicsportsnet.com/louisville/articles/2018/1/28/sha-captures-first-lit-title-in-11-years--1

Berger, an Indiana signee led the way with 23 points – hitting 10 of 11 from the field including 2 of 2 from three-point land – and had five rebounds, three steals, and two assists.